*sigh* My 22nd MPP...gone, baby, gone.

Kal-L

I have just lost, terribly, my 22nd shot at an MPP.

I have tried to acquire 22 of them over the last four years, and have missed the boat every time.

It's a Holy Grail for me, a genuine flash, so I will persevere.

Does anyone else have stories of years-long searches that still elude them?

(And the Obi parts don't count... :p )

I searched for years to aquire not only an MPP but also a Graflex, and as luck would have it they were either too expensive or in poor condition.

So I go to a camera shop one day to pick up some film and I just decide to ask the counter person if they had old equipment for sale. The lady ased me what I was looking for so I ttold her I needed a few flash handles for some older cameras.

She says I think we have a box full in the back let me go get them. She returned with the HOLY GRAIL of all of us colectors. The box was full of flash handles. I asked her what she wanted for the whole box, her reply was $50.00.

I gladly paid for it and went home. In that box were 15 Graflex, 8 MPP's, 6 Praco's, and 2 Kobold flash handles as well as a bunch of other flashes too.

Needles to say it was a great day for me, now all I needed to do was get them all converted. I used a lot of them as gifts for friends through out the years but I still have mine and they are proudly displayed.

Actually, that thread I wrote is referring to one from last week. The seller had up a Graflex and an MPP that he was claiming were real. The one that ended yesterday I'm pretty sure is genuine. We shall see.

Originally posted by cayman shen@Jan 23 2006, 11:15 AM
Ok, first of all, are you $hitting me?.

Second of all, PM me if you ever sell a Praco.
[snapback]1165899[/snapback]​

No. It's a true story. I have a great little camera store here and they are alway buying out estates camera collections. I will be going there on Wendsday to see if there are any more flash handles to pick up. I usually go there every couple of months to see what has come in.

Originally posted by wtfjedi@Jan 23 2006, 07:06 AM
I gladly paid for it and went home. In that box were 15 Graflex, 8 MPP's, 6 Praco's, and 2 Kobold flash handles as well as a bunch of other flashes too.

Nope .......sorry........not buying it.

Will require photgraphic evidence to confirm.

Likelyhood of that many of just the right kinds of flash units to end up randomly in one spot is unbelievably high.

Originally posted by micdavis+Jan 23 2006, 12:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micdavis @ Jan 23 2006, 12:36 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-wtfjedi
@Jan 23 2006, 07:06 AM

Nope .......sorry........not buying it.

Will require photgraphic evidence to confirm.

Likelyhood of that many of just the right kinds of flash units to end up randomly in one spot is unbelievably high.
[snapback]1165939[/snapback]​
[/b]

Well you don't have to buy it at all. It's not like I'm trying to scam any one for any reason. I have been collecting Star Wars related items for the better part of 15 years. I also collect antique cameras as well. These Items did not randomly end up in my posession, or in one spot either. The camera shop I deal with buys camera collections from estates. They never buy just one camera or just one piece of camera equipment, they buy all of it. I got lucky 7 years ago not yesterday. Trust me it is getting harder to find flash handles now. with all the hype and people knowing what they are now.

There is another local camera shop that has about 15 graflex's on display all of them are perfect and original, they want $400.00 a piece for them. Some dealers know what they have and some don't care what movie they may have been in. I have picked up graflex's for as low as $25.00 in perfect shape, I even have one in the original box too. But that graflex is displayed with a camera.

Again you don't have to believe me, as I really don't care if you do. I was just recalling my story of a great find.

The MPP in the auction was legit/real, unless the seller put a two step shroud and bulb reflector on a replica (not likely)....not the correct version though but a nice base unit.

One good way to tell if an MPP flash is authentic or not is to look at the clamp sleeve assembly. Almost all authentic ones i have seen has scratches in a perfect arc on both sides. These scratches are created when the photographers turn the lever w/o putting it in a right angle position first.
Of course a sure way to distinguish it is to smell the interior of the flash. But since you are pretty much limited to pictures on ebay, perhaps what i described above is a good way.

Originally posted by wtfjedi@Jan 23 2006, 12:54 PM
Again you don't have to believe me, as I really don't care if you do. I was just recalling my story of a great find.
[snapback]1165955[/snapback]​

I call BS too. Camera dealers have long ago learned about the Star Wars folks looking for those flash handles. Let's see pictures. ;)

Originally posted by Kerr Avon+Jan 23 2006, 09:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kerr Avon @ Jan 23 2006, 09:59 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-wtfjedi
@Jan 23 2006, 12:54 PM

I call BS too. Camera dealers have long ago learned about the Star Wars folks looking for those flash handles. Let's see pictures. ;)
[snapback]1166345[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yea like I actually have a photo from 7 years ago. Did you read my post. Or maybe you refuse to believe that it could happen.

....I'd like to find just one.....I did find a real MPP at a local camera shop...but the clerk did know what it was. They wanted $350 CDN for it and it was in pretty rough shape. A lot of corrosion & scratches....could've cleaned it up, I guess...but not for that kinda $.....

I have two real Graflex's which I got before prices went insane , But I have also wanted a MPP for a long time , thought I got lucky once a friend picked one up for me cheap , but when I went to pick it up it was a two cell :( , at least I can make a Fett blaster :)

Guess I will make a hardware one untill the real thing comes around.

Originally posted by Kal-L@Jan 23 2006, 02:13 PM
Does anyone else have stories of years-long searches that still elude them?

Staying on topic.

Still trying to find where the stormy mic tips come from the ANH Hovi mix Pa2 ones. Keith's replicas are the absolute business but I crave the real deal :D

It has been a constant search for about 3 years now.

I wish I could find them it seriously drives me nuts :angry

Hopefully one day it will be a found part until then I will keep on trying.

Cheers Chris.

Originally posted by wtfjedi+Jan 23 2006, 09:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wtfjedi @ Jan 23 2006, 09:51 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Kerr Avon@Jan 23 2006, 09:59 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-wtfjedi
@Jan 23 2006, 12:54 PM

[snapback]1166345[/snapback]​

Yea like I actually have a photo from 7 years ago. Did you read my post. Or maybe you refuse to believe that it could happen.
[snapback]1166400[/snapback]​
[/b]

Seven years ago?

That would be 1998...if you don't count this year since we are barely in January.

The RPF as we know it now was not even born yet. I do not think EZboard was even around then.

At that time we still thought the Ob1 saber was made from a motorcycle handle and a lawnmower gear.

We still thought the ANH Vader saber was made from a Heiland..not an MPP. (And that the ESB Vaser was from a Heiland "SOL" flash.)

Ep1 was not even out yet....and the Visual Dic was even further down the line (when we first saw Yoda's saber).

And even after the Yoda saber was introduced...we all thought for the longest time it was a Bosley flash. (It was not until around early 2001 that it was discovered to be a Praco.)

But you find all these flash parts...in 1998.

The MPP and Praco have not been identified yet (Hell..the Yoda/Praco was still a glimmer in Steve D's eye) but you say...

"needles to say it was a great day for me"

...which aludes to you knowing exactly what the flashes were used for...in 1998.

Yeah...a pretty tall tale.

But nice story nonetheless. :)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back