Sideshow - Movie THOR hammer

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by GeneralFROSTY, Jan 21, 2012.

1. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thor Hammer Prop Replica - Sideshow Collectibles
    Didn't see a thread about this one yet so I thought it'd be nice to discuss this.
    From the looks of it, appears to be screen accurate and I like the base it comes with though I think the rock base would have been better.

Price isn't too bad, especially with the Flex-Pay option.
    I first hesitated to place the pre-order because Sideshow and Museum Replicas have a tendency to release less-than-accurate prop replicas, but this one actually looks really nice.

Thoughts?

2. coofunkcurly

coofunkcurly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks darn nice from where I'm standing. Wish one could be more confident in what the final product will look like with these pre-orders.

3. StevenRogers84

StevenRogers84 Sr Member

It's hollow just so everyone knows. I talked to sideshow yesterday and they called museum replicas and called me back and it does have the runes on the cap, but it is also hollow unlike the classic hammer.

4. coofunkcurly

Hollow doesn't bother me. Made by Master Replicas does bother me. :unsure

5. fettster

fettster Sr Member

I'd wait to see the real production piece before committing to it. Just remember how different their iron man helmets were from the official photos.

Don't get me wrong, if it looks like their photos, I'll be getting one but I'll wait and see

6. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

I'd really love a movie accurate hammer myself. Not too flush at the mo due to other purchases but I'll defo be keeping an eye on the progress of this release.

7. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

.....not too big a fan of the stand though!:unsure

8. Eaglewood

Eaglewood Sr Member

This is the one that Marvel was worried about when they had their lawyers contact me.

9. GeneralFROSTY

What do you mean?

10. galmando

galmando Member

Placed my order for this a few days ago

Guess I'll have to wait and see. I've not heard good things about MR, but I guess someone has to take the bullet

11. GeneralFROSTY

If I remember correctly, I think there was something found way back when the MR Iron Man helmet was released that the photos they used to initially sell the helmet were actually images of the screen-used helmet.
    With this product, it appears as though the photos are of the actual product.
    I went ahead and bit the bullet and placed my pre-order (flex-pay) since I've been waiting for this prop ever since I saw the midnight show of Thor.

The flex pay has you putting down a $40 deposit and my first payment does not come out until March so it works out for me.

As far as it being hallow, that's not a big deal since the head is still metal and weighs 5 pounds. I thought the costume version of the hammer was cool, so this one should not dissapoint.

12. galmando

galmando Member

i'm quite happy with it being hallow, being that i live in the UK, shipping would been crazy high for a steel hammer head.

GeneralFROSTY likes this.
  13. GeneralFROSTY

I think there were a few screen-used hammers that were hollow metal as well.
    I will have to watch it again soon, but there is a GREAT featurette on the hammer on the BluRay edition of Thor. They talk about the different weight versions used on set. A very cool featurette for prop fans!

14. coofunkcurly

Is there a chance they'll sell out the pre-orders and those of us that wait may have to pay inflated aftermarket prices? Sorry I just seldom order stuff from Sideshow so I'm a little ignorant.

15. GeneralFROSTY

I don't see how many are being made so that's a tough one to call.
    Had MR released this item soonafter the initial theatrical release of the movie, there would have been a better chance of it selling out - hitting the iron while it's hot is what selling in this hobby is all about.

On the other hand, there are many out there that are skeptical about the final product quality because of what happened with the Iron Man helmets, which despite being made of metal, were a gross injustice to the original props.

If you're on the fence but really like the prop, it wouldn't hurt to call Sideshow or Museum Replicas to get more information on it to help you decide.
    At best, you could do what I did and make the deposit (non refundable) and go for the flex-pay option.

16. galmando

galmando Member

yeah, i was watching it 2 nights ago, i like how they simply had the handle screw into the head for quick and easy swaps, very slick

17. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

I don't think paying for it is the concern, it's the quality. So putting a deposit down and doing the flex pay doesn't help the matter. Anything from Museum Replicas should be bought with caution to say the least.

18. GeneralFROSTY

That pretty much sums it up.
    Hopefully, MR has learned from mistakes/shortcuts and pay attention to making something more accurate.

19. GeneralFROSTY

One of my concerns is the pattern detail on the hammer head - is it actually going to be raised or printed on? Is there going to be accurate stitching for the leather? I plan on calling Sideshow and MR to get some further answers. It wouldn't hurt them to post more detailed images of this product, not much to ask considering the price.

20. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Please keep us posted on what you find, hate to miss out if it's a winner. :)

21. GeneralFROSTY

I sure will.
    I pre-ordered so I'm getting it for sure.
    When I have time tomorrow, I plan on calling Sideshow and see what else they know about it. I also plan on following up that call with another one to MR.
    Like I said, for what is being asked price-wise, I don't see why they can't answer some tough questions by collectors...

22. Chris Fields

Chris Fields Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The stand reminds me of the card board standee of the giant hammer that was the movie theaters when Thor came out. If I remember right, it looked just like that. One the talented artist on here also made one just like that for his hammer that he made.

23. GeneralFROSTY

Aha!
    That's were I saw it before! i remember the theater display and I also remember the fan-made display base as well.

24. rocket20

rocket20 Active Member

Any info from them yet, Frosty?

I ordered one, and the only thing that concerns me (from the pics) is the "V" pattern on the handle is showing on the outside. The movie hammer has the "V" on the inside of the handle. In another words, if the wide side of the head is facing you, the handle should be showing straight lines not the V's.

25. rocket20

rocket20 Active Member

Did you get any info from MR or Sideshow?

26. daniloferro

daniloferro New Member

Is this a limited edition item?

27. GeneralFROSTY

Yes, though I don't think an edition number has been released yet.

28. galmando

galmando Member

10 (million)

29. GeneralFROSTY

I am guessing between 500 and 1000. That seems to be the average for items like this. eFX also has an "Avengers" style hammer replica coming down the pike as well, though I am not sure if their hammer head is going to be made of metal like the MR version.

30. Superman

Superman Active Member

I placed my order for the Sideshow Hammer. Does anybody know the release date? All I've heard is 2nd quarter sometime.

31. GeneralFROSTY

It may be sometime in the Summer I think - Sideshow didn't know for sure when I called them.

32. daniloferro

daniloferro New Member

Are there any differences between the "Avengers" and the "Thor Movie" versions?

33. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

Yeah. I'm pretty sure the head is pretty much the same, but there are differences with the handle (leather design and a cap and bevel/lip on the top and bottom of it)

I think eFX said their hammer was going to be fiberglass or whatever the movie stunt hammers were made of.

34. GeneralFROSTY

Fiberglass would be cool. It has a little weight to it and still easy to fling around - I'm just curious about what they plan on charging...

35. yeek

yeek Member

Well, I went ahead and preordered it. I've always wanted a decent Thor Hammer and hopefully this turns out pretty good. Maybe I'll consider the eFX one when more details are released.

36. daniloferro

daniloferro New Member

Guys, if you have to guess, which one of them would be more accurate? I have already pre-ordered the MR version, and I hope I won't regreat.

37. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

The EFX is going to be the Avengers version. So you can't compare them.

38. Gasparddm

Gasparddm Member

How durable is it gonna be? And will the Handle be solid wood, like the other hammers made by Diamond select and Factory x? Need answers!!! So I can pre order it!!

39. galmando

galmando Member

I dont think anyone is going to be able to answer that as no-one has one yet and won't for a good while

May just need to bite the bullet and order

40. Logan Cade

Logan Cade Well-Known Member

Here are some comparison pictures. The handle does appear to be 90 degrees off though.

I had to order one. Made of metal, 5 pounds in weight, wood handle…its definitely headed in the right direction and looking good so far….

Using the original Marvel Studios prop, the Thor Hammer Prop Replica is expertly hand crafted from aged steel, features a wood handle, and is finished with aged, harness grade leather. This incredible replica measures 17 inches overall, the hammer head itself is approximately 8 inches long, 5 inches wide, and weighs in at an imposing 5 lbs. Includes a custom wood base that displays the hammer at the same angle it was found when first discovered on Earth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41. nexnox

nexnox Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We made the Avengers hammer, but not the Thor ones. I had one of the hero 'Thor Movie' hammers when redesigning the handle and head for Avengers. On the hammer I had, the V was 45 degrees to the face. The reason for this was that the 'Thor Movie' Hammer had threaded rod between the head and the handle. This was so they could change the heads between rubber, lightweight, and Hero. I bet you could find the handle in various rotations through the movie, I haven't payed that much attention myself though.

I assume the sideshow orientation is what was originally intended.

42. GeneralFROSTY

How different, if at all, is the head in Avengers?

43. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

Based just on these pics, the strap of the MR hammer looks to be too thin and possibly short o_O

44. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

I don't think the head is too different. Maybe sizewise? It seems a little bit bigger than the Thor version to me for some reason.

[​IMG]

spidyfan likes this.
  45. Gasparddm

Gasparddm Member

So I just contacted Museum Replicas yesterday and they gave me some helpful answers about the hammer, check it out!

"Hello Gaspard,
    The handle is a piece of solid wood with top quality leather wrapped around it. The hammer head is hollow as this enable it to be 100% accurate in weight to the screen used prop. I'm not positive on the factory dimensions of the thickness but it is a very well made piece that is durable. That being said though, this is intended to be a display piece only."

and...

"But could you still carry it around with no worries?" -Me

"Yes. Its a top quality piece. It won't fall apart on you. But again, it is intended as a display piece so please remember that." -Museum Replicas

Tell us what you guys think!

46. StevenRogers84

StevenRogers84 Sr Member

The other hammers have steel handles wrapped in leather and the heads are solid aluminum...not hollow and not wood...

47. Gasparddm

Gasparddm Member

No its not solid aluminum its a hollow steel head

48. StevenRogers84

StevenRogers84 Sr Member

The Factory x hammer and the diamond select hammer are solid aluminum I meant. And they have steel handles.

49. rocket20

rocket20 Active Member

What??? I have the Factory X, Diamond Select and Museum Replicas. All three have hollow heads. Have you never taken them apart? They are not solid.

50. SenseiMonkeyboy

SenseiMonkeyboy New Member

I actually held an early prototype last year at the MR booth during Comic Con. While it is lighter then the past Mjolnirs it still has a good feel and is slightly larger then the earlier versions which I think is great. From the images on Sideshow's page looks like they worked in more detail since last year also with more a defined Celtic pattern along with reworking the shafts leather.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012