Sideshow & Hot Toys Baby Yoda (The Child) mods and accessories!

It's an egg buffet!

20201216_001646.jpg

20201216_001611.jpg

20201215_235525_edited.jpeg

20201214_184148_edited.jpeg

I'm experimenting with embedding a magnet in these as well. The one I used is a little small, so I have to order ones a bit larger. But here is what it looks like. Is there anyone here who ordered an egg that does NOT want a magnet in it?

20201215_235713_edited.jpeg

I'd prefer it with the magnet. Also, I'll be out of town the week between Christmas and New Year so if that delays the shipment at all, that's fine. I'd rather it be here after I get back anyway.

20201222_000118_edited.jpeg

I've decided all eggs will come with a magnet unless specifically requested otherwise. I got some slightly larger neodymium magnets in that do the trick. It wants to pull through the silicone, but it holds. I do have one concern though . . . repulsive magnetic force. I can pair each magnet to my Grogu, but if the magnet in your Grogu's hand is installed opposite mine, then the embedded magnet in the egg is going to repel rather than attract. My thoughts on remedying this would be to either ship the magnet separate and let the customer glue it to the surface of the egg, or go ahead and cast them into the egg just below the surface and if it needs to be flipped around, the the customer will need to cut through the surface of the egg with an xacto blade and flip the magnet and glue the incision closed. I just want to avoid having to ship them back and forth if at all possible.

20201221_234919_edited.jpeg

Great that you identified this potential issue, Soulinertia. (y)

One would hope that the magnets in all of the Grogu figures were installed in the same orientation (so that they would pair correctly with the gearshift knob that is included with the figure).

However, should it happen that the polarities are reversed, my preference would be to have the magnet embedded in the egg and, if necessary, to cut it out and replace it myself. I think that will look nicer than having the magnet on the surface.

In the two photos at the end of your post immediately above, is the magnet embedded in the egg on the left? And is it glued to the surface of the egg on the right? :unsure:

Quick follow-up to my previous post:

I trust you've tried both the implanted and surface magnets.

I'm not so sure that my original impression (that the implanted magnet will look better) is true. From the "wrong" angle, the magnet will be visible in either case, yes?

In that case, which way of affixing the magnet have you found to be more secure? Does it make any practical difference?

Thanks again!

Both pics are of the same egg, magnet embedded just below the surface, but it protrudes out when attached to his hand.

Wow... the magnet in the photo on the right is actually embedded in the egg? It looks as if it's on the outside.

If the magnetic force is so strong, I wonder if eventually the magnets are likely to be pulled out of the eggs. In that case, might it be better to have them attached to the surface from the start?

Just thinking this through a little further:

Any after-market item with a magnet affixed or embedded for Grogu's hand would potentially be affected by this polarity issue, right? So it's not just the eggs... it's also the Sorgan frog and the space macarons.

However, I believe that all of the Grogu magnets must have been installed in the same orientation during production, since they need to couple with all of the Razor Crest knobs. If the magnets were installed randomly then half of the customers who buy the figure will get one with a hand that repels the knob, leading to a great disturbance in the Force and a concomitant number of complaints and returns.

Therefore, I'm guessing that polarity may not be a problem; if you orient the magnets correctly for your Grogu figure, they should also be correct for everyone else's.

This does not, however, solve the potential issue of the magnet eventually pulling right through the surface of the egg.

What if you embedded a small "puck" of steel in your items? That way polarity would be a non-issue and the magnetic pull wouldn't be so strong that the embedded magnet would potentially (or eventually) be torn out. Would the magnetic pull on steel be strong enough to counteract the weight of your eggs, frogs, or macarons?

I tried a slightly smaller magnet and it wasn't strong enough to hold the egg, so I'm not sure if a piece of steel would hold unless it was twice as big as the magnet. I'll ship out a couple and see what kind of feedback I get. Hopefully temponaut is correct and magnets have all been installed the same way. I don't think the magnet will pull through the egg. This one is very close to the surface and it's been holding just fine. I'll embed them a little lower into the egg just for good measure.

What if you attached the magnet to some kind of internal support? Maybe epoxy it to the end of a short length of acrylic rod that runs inwards to the Nerf ball? Since the acrylic is clear it should be fairly well disguised and with that additional support the magnet won't be able to move out as much if at all.

Regarding superglueing the hair to the ears, how obvious is the glue? Also when I inevitably mess it up, would acetone work to remove the glue or will that damage the figure?

The glue is virtually invisible. Not noticeable at all and very little is needed to begin with. I believe acetone would damage the existing paint job and possibly eat the vinyl material.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back