Sideshow Kong Armature delivered at last

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Mar 6 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]1432913[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(monster_collector @ Mar 6 2007, 09:19 AM) [snapback]1432882[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spheric Thor @ Mar 4 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1431530[/snapback]
The armature weighs 8.5 lbs off the base. The hips, knees and ankles are all movable.
[/b]

This may have been answered before, but is the armature metal?
[/b][/quote]

At 8.5 lbs. for just the armature itself, I don't think it is plastic.. ;)

Lynn
[/b][/quote]

True, enough but figured I'd better ask.

I just got mine..

#144... :D
This thing is cool...
I've been playing with him for an hour now putting him in differnt poses.

He is pretty much self explanitory, but I was surprised they didn't include any kind of instruction sheet or care instructions for him.

It was well worth the wait to get him.

Lynn

I was doing some research on the SS armature and I came across something from Sideshow saying the piece is zinc alloy metal. So I'd be very careful posing it. I don't think it's made of steel like the original and not sure it can handle extreme wear from animation. Looks great though. I wonder if you can take it apart and have one machined out of steel if you want to do real animation.

:D

Mine has left California and is on the way to the Chicago area. I can't wait.. Will pose nicely next to my upcoming Kong model that is the size of the armature. Enjoy the photo.. Scott

Kong1.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SRJ823 @ Mar 8 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]1434869[/snapback]</div>
Mine has left California and is on the way to the Chicago area. I can't wait.. Will pose nicely next to my upcoming Kong model that is the size of the armature. Enjoy the photo.. Scott

Kong1.jpg

[/b]

WOW.... That is totally AWESOME..
It will look really good next to the armature when finished.
Lynn

Mine arrived today... I love it. The base needs some better paint but other that that it's a beautiful piece... I highly recommend this to any Kong fans..

Scott J.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SRJ823 @ Mar 9 2007, 03:19 AM) [snapback]1434869[/snapback]</div>
Will pose nicely next to my upcoming Kong model that is the size of the armature. [/b]
Very nice sculpt, SRJ823. :love :thumbsup

Looking forward to some shots of the finished model and the Sideshow armature on display side by side.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SRJ823 @ Mar 10 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]1436702[/snapback]</div>
Mine arrived today... I love it. The base needs some better paint but other that that it's a beautiful piece... I highly recommend this to any Kong fans..

Scott J.
[/b]

I totaly agree..

I may add some black wash to the recessed areas of the plate to high light the words, because at a distance it is very hard to read.

Lynn

Kong Armature #128 of 500 arrived in Michigan yesterday. Well worth the wait in my humble opinion. It's one of the coolest things I've purchased in a long time. I've had the great opportunity to meet Bob & Kong at a few conventions over the years, and it looks spot on. :D

I was pretty confident that Bob Burns wasn't going be involved with this project if it wasn't going to be done correctly. That being said, Sideshow should really have included some type of instructions for the average collector instructing them that they would have to tighten the screws to pose Kong. Most of us know that that is what you do with an armature, but I'm guessing there will be some confused collectors out there.

I agree with the need of some type of wash on the name plaque to make it stand out. I also LOVE the idea of a scale model to stand next to him. Is that a private commision or will that be made available?

Also needed... anyone out there tackling a scale Fay Wray for his hand? And how about a plexiglass cover to fit in the grooves of the base?

Once I have some free time to get him posed and tightened down I'll post some pics.

I'll probably paint my base plate tonight as it will look much better.

I just won a bunch of 8X10 B & W photos of the long face Kong off eBay so that I can frame them for this display.
These will give the piece a little more meaning...

[image]http://i14.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/d0/87/79_1.JPG[/image]
[image]http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/ac/19/65_1_b.JPG[/image]
[image]http://i10.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/84/51/5b80_1_b.JPG[/image]
Plus one I have never seen before, it is very cool and not a common T-rex shot, but it will fit due to the nature of the piece's history.
It is almost a great side profile with its possiblity's... ;)
[image]http://i20.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/90/d7/6b62_1.JPG[/image]

Lynn

OK.......I took my monkey out to play with him last night.. LOL One thing I found usefull was to take the spine out and remove the whole upper area. I think someone here posted that tip. I also removed the head. I then screwed the feet in. A little tricky and I wish the the holes had been seperated about another 1/4". I then posed the lower half and snugged down the bolts. When I put the top back on...............whoooooooooooop.............he starts to go. So you have to tighten these bad boys not just snug them. Well after tweaking here and there he was standing nicely on his own. However everytime you move him.......it's time to tighten hiim again.. Now my question is this............just how tight have you guys gone with these things. I don't want to strip anything out. I was looking at some shots of the original armature and he's tightned pretty tight. The pieces are actually bowing in a little. None other note. Be careful on the front piece where the chest would be. They have the rubber residue molded on there. Well it's just a little resin piece and if you handle it too much it will actually come off.. Glues back on easy enough though. Overall I'm very happy with this piece. I'm looking into an acrylic case and some clear rod for it and going to the hobby store to buy paint for the base today.. The base REALLY needs a good repainting. So.......how tight can you go with your monkey???

Scott

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SRJ823 @ Mar 17 2007, 12:28 PM) [snapback]1442064[/snapback]</div>
So.......how tight can you go with your monkey???
[/b]

As tight as I can get it. ;)

Seriously though, beyond looking him over quickly he has been sitting in the box since I got him.

I just don't have the time. :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SRJ823 @ Mar 17 2007, 11:28 AM) [snapback]1442064[/snapback]</div>
So.......how tight can you go with your monkey???

Scott
[/b]

:lol

Well, I got mine tight enough that you can no longer move the screws or bolts, but you still reach a point if the armature gets past it that it will topple no matter how tight you got it.

I got a nasty blood blister on my palm where it toppled on me and the legs pinched my palm, it hurt like heck..

What is the purpose of removing the spine and screwing the feet??? I have no need for either on mine, just tighten and your set. Yes, you do have to tighten him back up if you move him more then a couple times.

Needless to say this is not a true movie armature and is not designed as such, it is just a replica not made to be positioned reglularly like the real thing. I'm sure the real one would not have to be tightend contiually like this one does, you just couldn't do that with all the covering on it.

Lynn

Actually they did have to tighten every time because of the covering. As Phil Tippett points out in the DVD extras, the "muscles" would get in the way and try to make, say, a bent arm straighten out again a little, so they'd have to crank the elbow screw. Stuff like that.

Yeah, I forgot about that.... But to me it didn't sound like a regular occurance though. I couldn't imagine them having to do it that often. It dosn't seem too time cost effective.

Lynn

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GraFX Boy @ Mar 18 2007, 06:31 PM) [snapback]1442915[/snapback]</div>
BTW: Did anyone who purchased the KK Armature have any basic tools included in the package?
[/b]

Yes, an allen head wrench for the feet hold down bolts and a double sided open ended wrench that barley fit the bolts.

Did you not get any tools with yours???

They included tools, but no instructions. Strange, it is pretty much straight forward, but you would think they would have included instructions. :confused

Lynn

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back