Sideshow Han Solo in Carbonite 1:1 unboxing

StarWarrior

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey my Han Solo in Carbonite arrived! Here are the unboxing pics:

IMG_1186.JPGIMG_1187.JPGIMG_1188.JPGIMG_1189.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

And some more:

IMG_1192.JPGIMG_1193.JPGIMG_1194.JPG

As you can see, the Han Solo base is much more red than the Boba Fett. I went back to the Carbonite Chamber photos from the movie, and the red circle piece is more red than the surrounding rings. But the difference is much less in the movie (see pic)

Carbon.jpg

The good news is that the pattern of oblong cutouts is exactly right, unlike the prototype.

Last edited:
Nice. What are the actual colors of Han and the frame? Looks like a big contrast. I'm also curious why they didn't make the bases similar. Congrats!

My images are showing up sideways even though they are right side up on my computer. Is there an option for me to rotate them in my posts?

Why would SS make the colors of the carbon freezing chamber bases so different for these two pieces? They had to know at least a few people would buy both and display them together. :unsure

Nice. What are the actual colors of Han and the frame? Looks like a big contrast. I'm also curious why they didn't make the bases similar. Congrats!

Here is a pick of Han as Carbonite verses the frame. The Carbonite looks just like my Illusive Concepts surface. The frame is black with a splattered effect of Carbonite overspray. Looking at online pics, the Carbonite Han and the frame section look the same color, but the frame is smoother and a darker shade than the Carbonite. The sideshow frame is definitely black instead. In the pre-production pics, the frame was a darker shade of the Carbonite instead of full black.

Case vs Carbonite.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The Volvo panels look just like aluminum. I am very disappointed though. I thought they had LEDs from the online pictures I saw, but they do not. They are red stickers. I will have to upgrade these. Only the one upper right panel has electronics.

Volvo Panel.jpg

Last edited:
As I look back at the reference picture of the Carbonite chamber, there is a second circle in the back as well that is exactly the same yellow-orange color as the neighboring rings. So I am not very happy with the base:

#1) I think the bases ARE supposed to be the same color.
#2) The scale of the oblong slots is VERY different. The width of the slots of both bases should be the same.
#3) The Han Solo base is shiny black and the Boba Fett is Flat Black. They should be the same.
#4) The black flooring of the Han base is 1/2" thick, and the Boba Fett is 1/8" thick.

Take a look:

IMG_1208.JPG

Here is the original advertisement picture which shows bases with the same color and scale:

400072-han-solo-in-carbonite-010.jpg

Despite the bases, that's a hell of a display. Congratulations! I love that the side panels came in their own box. They look great. As for the stickers, I think those are accurate. Thanks for sharing.

I may end up making my own base for all 3 of the Triptych, assuming the Darth Vader 1:1 is still going to be produced ... someday. I got a notice today that my order was cancelled due to quality issues.

Here is a closeup of the base thickness and scale difference:

Boba base.JPGHIC base.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Despite the bases, that's a hell of a display. Congratulations! I love that the side panels came in their own box. They look great. As for the stickers, I think those are accurate. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, good to know the movie version was just stickers too. I may still modify them and add LEDs. Make it an idealized version of the prop instead.

As I look back at the reference picture of the Carbonite chamber, there is a second circle in the back as well that is exactly the same yellow-orange color as the neighboring rings. So I am not very happy with the base:

#1) I think the bases ARE supposed to be the same color.
#2) The scale of the oblong slots is VERY different. The width of the slots of both bases should be the same.
#3) The Han Solo base is shiny black and the Boba Fett is Flat Black. They should be the same.
#4) The black flooring of the Han base is 1/2" thick, and the Boba Fett is 1/8" thick.

Take a look:

View attachment 456189

Here is the original advertisement picture which shows bases with the same color and scale:

View attachment 456190

It's mind boggling that they would make the bases so different, especially when the promotional pic of all the statues together had the lighting and design identical for all 3 statues. This is just another example of why I've given up on SS and won't ever buy from them again. They really don't care about all of the customers that helped make them the giant company they are today. They're only concerned with the maximum amount they can charge for their products and how cheaply they can get them made at a factory over in China. :(

Sweet setup, but those bases would drive me nuts. They don't even look like they belong together. Not trying to be a downer, but what was Sideshow thinking?!

Oh man I'm so sorry that those bases are so different from what you thought/saw in the pictures. If it were me I would be on the phone to SS asking what they intend to do about it. Clearly they want to sett them as a set so how the chuff can it be a set if they are making/painting the bases all different. Perhaps DV will arrive with a nice piece of shag pile carpet underneath him. On another note how dare they cancel you order! You have fulfilled your part now it's time for them to step up. You are clearly a great customer I'd be seeing just how great SS want to be. Lets not forget they have a lot of folks watching here. Come on SS sort it out!

Knowing Sideshow, after StarWarrior spent about $15k plus shipping for Fett and HIC(and was willing to pay another $8k for the Vader) they'll probably offer him a $50 gift card. :lol

Hi starwarrior

ive got a Han in carbonate coming my way as well. Is the slab structural enough that it can be sat on the ground and lose the base altogether?

taking up that much floor space was never in the cards...and seeing how dissimilar the fett base is to the carbonite one...one or the other is staying in the packaging.

Hi starwarrior

ive got a Han in carbonate coming my way as well. Is the slab structural enough that it can be sat on the ground and lose the base altogether?

taking up that much floor space was never in the cards...and seeing how dissimilar the fett base is to the carbonite one...one or the other is staying in the packaging.

The slab is light enough to simply hang on the wall or mount horizontally. There is a TV style mount on the back, so if you wanted to mount it to the wall you would simply have to buy a TV mount.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back