Sideshow Han Solo in Carbonite 1:1 unboxing

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by StarWarrior, Mar 25, 2015.

1. StarWarrior

StarWarrior Active Member

Hey my Han Solo in Carbonite arrived! Here are the unboxing pics:

IMG_1186.JPG IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1188.JPG IMG_1189.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

And some more:

IMG_1192.JPG IMG_1193.JPG IMG_1194.JPG

2. StarWarrior

Quick Assembly (even though there are no instructions):

IMG_1195.JPG IMG_1196.JPG IMG_1197.JPG IMG_1198.JPG IMG_1199.JPG

3. StarWarrior

Buds for life!?!:

IMG_1201.JPG IMG_1202.JPG IMG_1203.JPG

4. StarWarrior

As you can see, the Han Solo base is much more red than the Boba Fett. I went back to the Carbonite Chamber photos from the movie, and the red circle piece is more red than the surrounding rings. But the difference is much less in the movie (see pic)

Carbon.jpg

The good news is that the pattern of oblong cutouts is exactly right, unlike the prototype.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    NeoRutty likes this.
  5. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Very cool. Hell of a display.

6. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice. What are the actual colors of Han and the frame? Looks like a big contrast. I'm also curious why they didn't make the bases similar. Congrats!

7. StarWarrior

My images are showing up sideways even though they are right side up on my computer. Is there an option for me to rotate them in my posts?

8. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

Why would SS make the colors of the carbon freezing chamber bases so different for these two pieces? They had to know at least a few people would buy both and display them together. :unsure

9. StarWarrior

Here is a pick of Han as Carbonite verses the frame. The Carbonite looks just like my Illusive Concepts surface. The frame is black with a splattered effect of Carbonite overspray. Looking at online pics, the Carbonite Han and the frame section look the same color, but the frame is smoother and a darker shade than the Carbonite. The sideshow frame is definitely black instead. In the pre-production pics, the frame was a darker shade of the Carbonite instead of full black.

Case vs Carbonite.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The Volvo panels look just like aluminum. I am very disappointed though. I thought they had LEDs from the online pictures I saw, but they do not. They are red stickers. I will have to upgrade these. Only the one upper right panel has electronics.

Volvo Panel.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  10. StarWarrior

As I look back at the reference picture of the Carbonite chamber, there is a second circle in the back as well that is exactly the same yellow-orange color as the neighboring rings. So I am not very happy with the base:

#1) I think the bases ARE supposed to be the same color.
    #2) The scale of the oblong slots is VERY different. The width of the slots of both bases should be the same.
    #3) The Han Solo base is shiny black and the Boba Fett is Flat Black. They should be the same.
    #4) The black flooring of the Han base is 1/2" thick, and the Boba Fett is 1/8" thick.

Take a look:

IMG_1208.JPG

Here is the original advertisement picture which shows bases with the same color and scale:

400072-han-solo-in-carbonite-010.jpg

11. QCWolf

QCWolf Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Despite the bases, that's a hell of a display. Congratulations! I love that the side panels came in their own box. They look great. As for the stickers, I think those are accurate. Thanks for sharing.

12. StarWarrior

I may end up making my own base for all 3 of the Triptych, assuming the Darth Vader 1:1 is still going to be produced ... someday. I got a notice today that my order was cancelled due to quality issues.

Here is a closeup of the base thickness and scale difference:

Boba base.JPG HIC base.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, good to know the movie version was just stickers too. I may still modify them and add LEDs. Make it an idealized version of the prop instead.

13. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

It's mind boggling that they would make the bases so different, especially when the promotional pic of all the statues together had the lighting and design identical for all 3 statues. This is just another example of why I've given up on SS and won't ever buy from them again. They really don't care about all of the customers that helped make them the giant company they are today. They're only concerned with the maximum amount they can charge for their products and how cheaply they can get them made at a factory over in China. :(

14. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

Sweet setup, but those bases would drive me nuts. They don't even look like they belong together. Not trying to be a downer, but what was Sideshow thinking?!

15. vintageslant

vintageslant Active Member

Oh man I'm so sorry that those bases are so different from what you thought/saw in the pictures. If it were me I would be on the phone to SS asking what they intend to do about it. Clearly they want to sett them as a set so how the chuff can it be a set if they are making/painting the bases all different. Perhaps DV will arrive with a nice piece of * pile carpet underneath him. On another note how dare they cancel you order! You have fulfilled your part now it's time for them to step up. You are clearly a great customer I'd be seeing just how great SS want to be. Lets not forget they have a lot of folks watching here. Come on SS sort it out!

16. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

Knowing Sideshow, after StarWarrior spent about $15k plus shipping for Fett and HIC(and was willing to pay another $8k for the Vader) they'll probably offer him a $50 gift card. :lol

17. jason_ehl

jason_ehl Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi starwarrior

ive got a Han in carbonate coming my way as well. Is the slab structural enough that it can be sat on the ground and lose the base altogether?

taking up that much floor space was never in the cards...and seeing how dissimilar the fett base is to the carbonite one...one or the other is staying in the packaging.

18. StarWarrior

The slab is light enough to simply hang on the wall or mount horizontally. There is a TV style mount on the back, so if you wanted to mount it to the wall you would simply have to buy a TV mount.

19. jason_ehl

jason_ehl Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks SW

20. bbmchl

bbmchl Well-Known Member

Awesome display! But yeah, for the money SW put down, the lighting should be as advertised.

Mike

21. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The original prop is like that, no?

22. division 6

division 6 Master Member

From my reading there was the one Hero in ESB and a second panel in RotJ.

Now here is something I just noticed, in the hall scene in ESB they swapped the Hero panel to the left side.
    different panels.jpg

23. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Very nice display...but where is Bobas Rangefinder on the helmet?:confused

24. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

one thing i have learned over the years with sideshow is......
    if you look at the prototype or publicity shots of the item you are interested then they will not be anything like what you actually receive.
    i don't buy anything from them anymore as i can no longer take the disappointment when i open the box.

if that carbonite turned up at mine i would rebox and tell them to collect it. but that is just me.

25. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

It's scary how you are inside my head as I've pretty much said the exact same thing. :thumbsup

26. Portumac

Portumac Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi, I totally agree with you. Sideshow produce very nice sculpts and life-size prop replicas, but the problem with them is that the quality control sucks. Just like Starwarrior, I also purchase a Life-Size Han in Carbonite and the Life-Size Boba Fett. Just like him I found a lot of flaws on the finish of the Carbonite (panels, color, etc) and also on the Boba Fett. I heavily modified my Boba Fett bu replacing all the resin parts that were supposed to be made out of aluminum in the first place. Come on, this is a $8,000.00 prop replica, they are not going to loose profit by making these parts out of aluminum. I made the knee darts out of cnc aluminum, the same with the rocket on the gaunlet, and other parts, I will post pictures soon. I will re-paint my Han in Carbonite like I did years ago with my Illusive Concepts Han in Carbonite. The paint of the carbonite part is not bad, the problem is the frame, is way too darke, is dark gray almost black with gray splashes. I am looking for the Carbonite panels to replace the ones that came with the SS Carbonite. Do you guys know who here in the RPF sells the best panels cast directly from the original VOLVO panel? Regarding the lights inside both bases, there are screws on the bottom of both bases, I will replace the lights so both bases light up with the same color.