Sideshow for full size C3PO and R2

Not a whole lot of information on the site, but still good news. if they manage to pull something off that is more than what don post offered, I'll probably pick up a pair. Only if the threepio is gold plated or gold chromed. I won't go for the painted nonsense. I just hope the R2 isn't a sculpted interpretation of it. Man, there's SOO much documentation on the R2 available out there, I would feel cheated if they didn't get it mostly right.

Their R2D2 is a cast of a Don Post, was talking to a Sideshow boothie today at ComiCon. Doesn't look that great close up, it's a pretty rough casting. From 10 feet away it looks weathered, from closer than that it just looks sloppy.

DSC00131.JPG

DSC00130.JPG

So what a pity guys...

It would be great that a company like Sideshow (and even more with their prices) could get an original one and make and exact copy, and even a casted off original C3PO...

there any many casted off 3PO pieces out there... and instead of offering the ULTIMATE VERSION, they will be offering a lower replica ???

What a pity... If this 3PO were a casted off original, and ANH look... and the R2 were from originals as well, I would really think on going... but this way I guess I will have to go for fan made :(.

Well I know 3po pretty well, and I think he looks reasonably good here. As far as the Don Post statues go, those were castings of the real screen parts. I happen to know this. A few lesser parts were sculpted (on 3po I know for sure), so if Sideshow is using castings from Don Post then these should be mostly screen-accurate.

<div class='quotetop'>(Ghost Host @ Jul 20 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]1284399[/snapback]</div>
Well I know 3po pretty well, and I think he looks reasonably good here. As far as the Don Post statues go, those were castings of the real screen parts. I happen to know this. A few lesser parts were sculpted (on 3po I know for sure), so if Sideshow is using castings from Don Post then these should be mostly screen-accurate.
[/b]

You know to me the Threepio head looks exactly like the one in Episode II. The CGI droid factory version. I always wondered why the CGI Threepio looked off, considering they had the 3D scan technology that Gentle Giant uses to scan the real thing. It looks rounded and off in exactly the same ways. It's definitely not an ANH head sculpt.

I wonder if it was just made based on the CGI data.

Ben

Curious to see R2 up close, but already looks better than a Don Post. Details look a little soft, and the dome has a bit of a funky shape near the bottom rings, but overall not awful. What WILL be awful is the price for them I'm sure. I'd be willing to bet that for the price they'll be asking you could build a much more accurate R2 out of mostly aluminum (aluminium) parts, that has full lights/sounds/RC.

Threepio in comparison to the Don Post looks like something you'd get on ebay nowadays for a few grand = i.e. awful... :thumbsdown

<div class='quotetop'>(spastromech @ Jul 20 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]1284471[/snapback]</div>
What WILL be awful is the price for them I'm sure. I'd be willing to bet that for the price they'll be asking you could build a much more accurate R2 out of mostly aluminum (aluminium) parts, that has full lights/sounds/RC.
[/b]

Yes, I'm interested to see the price as well. I quite expect that a "handy man" could build a much better R2-D2 for what Sideshow is going to a$k for this piece. I'm not sure you could do the full lights/sound/RC, but side by side I would expect the fan made unit to look better for the same money (given reasonable craftsmanship of the builder).

I expect the only folks who will buying this are those who don't know which end of the screwdriver to hold or those that simply lack the time to put into building it themselves (let's face it, that's a HUGE project and it can be tempting to just throw money at it).

I would love to build an R2 but the cost and finding the parts even through the R2 builders club is incredibley daunting. I would much rather buy the piece like this and upgrade or rebuild off of it afterwards knowing I have an fairly accurate piece to work with.
If the price is reasonable, I will definately be looking to get one of these. If they are glassing it, it could be rather low in price compared to the Don Post piece. Large figure pieces have dramatically dropped in price in the past few years. The Disney Big figures are great deals, and Marvel and DC are starting to produce them at jaw dropping incredible prices.

Why is it that C-3PO looks fat? The R2 unit looks fine (too me..) but i would rather buy my own kit instead of that "version" of 3PO..

I wonder how badly this is going to screw the ones of us that are building our own droids. I hope the licensing police don't start cracking down on groups such as the R2 builders club or the C3PO builders club. :( Threepio looks like he's retaining water, especially in the head. Artoo looks like crap too, the blue data arms are completely the wrong shape. With the all the resources available, and how beautiful most of the scratchbuilt fan produced pieces look, these kinds of inaccuracies are unforgivable in a supposedly high end "authentic" replica. Did they even look at the blueprints that are easily available? :confused

Bill

I think so long as no one is trying to mass produce R2's then the part suppliers should be fine. Same way people can sell parts to make replica Lightsabers even though MR has the licenses.

<div class='quotetop'>(Howard @ Jul 20 2006, 01:56 PM) [snapback]1284582[/snapback]</div>
Well, to my untrained eye they look like scaled up MPC kits from 78.

:thumbsdown

Howard.
[/b]

My God, they do. Especially the Artoo... :eek:

<div class='quotetop'>(Terminator Crazy @ Jul 20 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]1284584[/snapback]</div>
Do you guys never concider that all of these new products are protos?
[/b]

I've considered it - buy all you (we) can do is say what we see. I'm sure that's why they put these things out - to get feedback.

Howard.

<div class='quotetop'>(Terminator Crazy @ Jul 20 2006, 01:56 PM) [snapback]1284584[/snapback]</div>
Do you guys never concider that all of these new products are protos?
[/b]

See I take issue with that (not with you personally but that whole concept/trend of playing the "it's only a prototype" card.)

Sideshow (and others) SELL OUT of their stuff based on "prototype" pictures. I bought the General Grevious 1/4 scale figure (awesome BTW but that's beside the point.). I had to buy it based on a prototype image and it sold out WELL before any real product images were available.

They can't use the "it's a prototype" argument... this is the way they have chosen to do business... everything is being pre-sold out based on potentially inaccurate representations of the products.

Even shop.starwars.com has done thisÂ… I resent the whole pre-sale trend. I want to buy an item IN STOCK based on properly informed decisions. I donÂ’t want to be tricked into jumping on everything the first second I see it because itÂ’ll be gone if I hesitate.

These are marketing tricks. TheyÂ’ve chosen to play the game this way so all commentary on the quality of the product based on prototype images is in MY mind fair game.

Ben

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back