Sideshow Collectibles T-Rex Repaint PICS

tek2graphics

Sr Member
So I finally had the nerve to repaint my statuette. What do you guys think?
It's a BEAUTIFUL SCULPTURE!!!! (But I'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks SH screwed up with the paint job. :sick)
Not sure if i'm finished, so any advice would be appreciated! :thumbsup
trex01.jpg

trex02.jpg

trex04.jpg

trex03.jpg

Here's the before (taken from eBay):
67348562.png

Hard to tell with flash photography. I view bones like that as being bleached by the sun. As long as you used various black, brown washes it should be fine. Take the T-Rex outside on a mostly cloudy day and out of direct sunlight and take the picture without flash.

Here you go..:)
45652510.jpg

89500345.jpg

36187574.jpg

22148528.jpg

99427948.jpg

Hard to tell with flash photography. I view bones like that as being bleached by the sun. As long as you used various black, brown washes it should be fine. Take the T-Rex outside on a mostly cloudy day and out of direct sunlight and take the picture without flash.

I don't know how well you can make out the destroyed skeletons in this image - taken from the video - but I don't think they were as dark as those shown. They sealed many old bones with Orange Shellac back in the day ... giving them the shiny color. The bones were darkened by the mineral replacement of the calcium, and they sealed them with a like colored sealer, and over time they simply get even darker with age. Natural 'fresh' bone color is an off white, leaning towards a pale Yellow Ochre ... this being caused by the natural fats and grease in the bones. They are only whitened after bleaching ... either chemically or from time in the sun. Sun bleaching also depletes the bones of minerals, causing them to become somewhat porous. If you want the bones to appear 'natural' as if they are 'leftovers' from former meals, then go for an off yellowish/brown color. If you're looking to represent the scene from the movie - preserved and articulated bones, destroyed in the fight - then go for a more brown coloring. The decision is based solely on what you are looking to represent.
'JurassicPark'-T-Rex-008-ClosingLrg.jpg'JurassicPark'-Skeletons-001-Video.jpg'JurassicPark'-Skeletons-002-Video.jpg

Last edited:
[Thanks John, but unfortunately the sculpture was sold a few years back because I needed the $$. :wacko

QUOTE=John B;3676800]I don't know how well you can make out the destroyed skeletons in this image - taken from the video - but I don't think they were as dark as those shown. They sealed many old bones with Orange Shellac back in the day ... giving them the shiny color. The bones were darkened by the mineral replacement of the calcium, and they sealed them with a like colored sealer, and over time they simply get even darker with age. Natural 'fresh' bone color is an off white, leaning towards a pale Yellow Ochre ... this being caused by the natural fats and grease in the bones. They are only whitened after bleaching ... either chemically or from time in the sun. Sun bleaching also depletes the bones of minerals, causing them to become somewhat porous. If you want the bones to appear 'natural' as if they are 'leftovers' from former meals, then go for an off yellowish/brown color. If you're looking to represent the scene from the movie - preserved and articulated bones, destroyed in the fight - then go for a more brown coloring. The decision is based solely on what you are looking to represent.
View attachment 491160View attachment 491261View attachment 491262[/QUOTE]

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back