Sideshow Collectibles T-Rex Repaint PICS

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by tek2graphics, Feb 9, 2012.

1. tek2graphics

tek2graphics Well-Known Member

So I finally had the nerve to repaint my statuette. What do you guys think?
    It's a BEAUTIFUL SCULPTURE!!!! (But I'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks SH screwed up with the paint job. :sick)
    Not sure if i'm finished, so any advice would be appreciated! :thumbsup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the before (taken from eBay):
    [​IMG]

2. E Q

E Q Active Member

I love your repaint! I think it is perfect.

3. tek2graphics

Thanks! I'm not sure if I should paint the bones a darker brown.... what do you think?

4. E Q

E Q Active Member

Hard to tell with flash photography. I view bones like that as being bleached by the sun. As long as you used various black, brown washes it should be fine. Take the T-Rex outside on a mostly cloudy day and out of direct sunlight and take the picture without flash.

5. tek2graphics

Here you go..:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. E Q

E Q Active Member

Perfect! Congratulations, job well done!

7. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Great repaint, much better than the factory original.

8. Boogeyman13

Boogeyman13 Sr Member

Wait, the original Rex is green? Wow, how did that pass QA... Fantastic repaint!

9. tek2graphics

Thanks! LOL!! I wanted it to be closer to the screen. So I painted it brown. :)

10. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Great improvement!!!

11. Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan New Member

Oh yeh it looks a lot better now!!!!

12. tek2graphics

13. John B

John B New Member

I don't know how well you can make out the destroyed skeletons in this image - taken from the video - but I don't think they were as dark as those shown. They sealed many old bones with Orange Shellac back in the day ... giving them the shiny color. The bones were darkened by the mineral replacement of the calcium, and they sealed them with a like colored sealer, and over time they simply get even darker with age. Natural 'fresh' bone color is an off white, leaning towards a pale Yellow Ochre ... this being caused by the natural fats and grease in the bones. They are only whitened after bleaching ... either chemically or from time in the sun. Sun bleaching also depletes the bones of minerals, causing them to become somewhat porous. If you want the bones to appear 'natural' as if they are 'leftovers' from former meals, then go for an off yellowish/brown color. If you're looking to represent the scene from the movie - preserved and articulated bones, destroyed in the fight - then go for a more brown coloring. The decision is based solely on what you are looking to represent.
    'JurassicPark'-T-Rex-008-ClosingLrg.jpg 'JurassicPark'-Skeletons-001-Video.jpg 'JurassicPark'-Skeletons-002-Video.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  14. tek2graphics

[Thanks John, but unfortunately the sculpture was sold a few years back because I needed the $$. :wacko

QUOTE=John B;3676800]I don't know how well you can make out the destroyed skeletons in this image - taken from the video - but I don't think they were as dark as those shown. They sealed many old bones with Orange Shellac back in the day ... giving them the shiny color. The bones were darkened by the mineral replacement of the calcium, and they sealed them with a like colored sealer, and over time they simply get even darker with age. Natural 'fresh' bone color is an off white, leaning towards a pale Yellow Ochre ... this being caused by the natural fats and grease in the bones. They are only whitened after bleaching ... either chemically or from time in the sun. Sun bleaching also depletes the bones of minerals, causing them to become somewhat porous. If you want the bones to appear 'natural' as if they are 'leftovers' from former meals, then go for an off yellowish/brown color. If you're looking to represent the scene from the movie - preserved and articulated bones, destroyed in the fight - then go for a more brown coloring. The decision is based solely on what you are looking to represent.
    View attachment 491160 View attachment 491261 View attachment 491262 [/QUOTE]

15. GF

GF Sr Member

Wow!!!! puts the original SS paintjob to shame, fantastic repaint!

16. Dobber

Dobber Well-Known Member

*, that is a fantastic repaint. FAR superior to what SS delivered.

Chris