Shuttle Tydirium

Hey John , yeah mate the acrylic came with the kit. Very nice too. Clean cut . I just had this milled to fit the horizontal joists so as to pull it all together. This thing ain't goin nowhere once the glue sets.

Ok so today I epoxied the plates in.(finally). I had these machined with the grooves to line everything up nicely.
d5f907c1.jpg

5bdcc790.jpg

7df37b40.jpg
[/IMG]

Came together ok I think. I still have to install the wiring for the engines and the wing tip lights then I'll join the fuse together.

0822531c.jpg

06d9c938.jpg
[/IMG]

Wow - looks great.

How does the mounting rod attach? In the last picture it looks too far back to hit the large hole in the aluminum plate.

Thanks guys it is a heavy kit to begin with. The whole kit with armature and base will come in I'm guessing at aroung 5 kg. The rod/support is solid steel and is mounted forward as per the original. Will start on the wing detail next.

Oh yeah. And what's the story with this model...Simon, you finished it yet, mate? :lol

Almost. Just waitin in a few things. I tried some 12v neon tubes in the engines. But they didn't spread the light too well. Next up tried some blue LED's but even with the diffuser in place they look like blue **** holes in the snow. So I'm waitin on some EL wire to give that a go. Also waiting for a new cockpit from Steve. Then it's all downhill from there baby.

Not as yet mate but I'm onto it. Will have it up in the general section this week. Ever since Richard (REL) showed pix and mentioned it was close to studio scale , I've wanted to start it but I've only gotten so far as removing the plastic hinges and sanding some of the crap panels and chips off. It's a pretty big ship.

Have you considered cold cathode tubes for the engine lighting? They might be like the neon though. That's what I'm going to try. I noticed in a pic of the engine area opened up on the blu ray, see pic. They seemed to have used an upper and lower light tube for it.

Something like that would be good Scott. The problem I have is the neon tube I got is only 5mm thick so it shows through the diffuser as two blue strips rather than one diffused glow. Maybe thicker tubes as ILM used should do the trick.

Edit: actually Julien and mike got good results on theirs. I think mike used some LED's and julien Neon if I'm correct? I'll have a look at their threads.

Simon.

Have you considered cold cathode tubes for the engine lighting? They might be like the neon though. That's what I'm going to try. I noticed in a pic of the engine area opened up on the blu ray, see pic. They seemed to have used an upper and lower light tube for it.

Actually their neon (probably custom made, like the ones used in the Executor) is U-shaped.

Thanks Julien, I just ordered some. I may look into a custom curved neon but we'll see how these pan out. They look great on your build.

how are you coming with this build ? i wish i saw this before buying this pos kit from another member who did not disclose the really bad warping :(

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back