Shuttle Tydirium

Simon, sorry bud, but that does look like ass, what a horrible kit this turned out to be.
Hope you can make good on it mate, be great to see somebody pull one out the bag.

Lee

Gonna give it a go mate.....Wait till ya see some of the other pix. I know you would have tossed it years ago. But it cost Me a packet so gotta try. Even if I have to scratch the main Hull which I'm not looking forward to.

The underside ain't much better.

0ead9634.jpg

Another example of this resin. These are the cheeks on the cockpit. They are supposed to sit straight on the model but I can bend em round my finger. This is the same soapy resin Jason had trouble priming on the tie fighter.

e3cdb4a6.jpg
[/IMG]

In all fairness the parts are bubble free castings but I question the choice of resin on this. As I said before it is a heavy kit and this resin is very soft and warps to easily. Still it can be done but it's gonna take a lot of work. Stay tuned......

0f290deb.jpg
[/IMG]

Ouch, thats not pretty though. Is be way more tempted to repair and rectify, while making the hull/cockpit into vac bucks to give you a perfect build platform?
I know its cost a wedge, but thats how id go about it.

Lee

I hear ya... I'll have to fit the armature and see if I can't pull this together around it. Hoping the machinist can get it done for me next week. If it works it'll save me a lot of time and money. If not I'll cut the detail off and try the vac method.

JM that's a real shame. Steve used to way much dye, and it weakened the resin to the point where it's pretty much useless.

Even if you did fix it, it will never keep it's shape.

Getting paint to stick will be a hell of a chore.

I hate to see stuff like this. It should have gone right from the molds into the trash.

Yikes, I thought I had trouble with my kit, I dont have the issues you see here but many others that make it very hard to build. I'm Glad I went with Rich's kits now. Wipes brow but still shrugs shoulders.

Geez! This looks bad :( Are all SS kits like this one? If so, I will stay away from them! From my little experience with garage kits this is almost always the case. I wonder if there is a way to know what you are buying before you actually buy it? The price is usually quite steep though...

Geez! This looks bad :( Are all SS kits like this one? If so, I will stay away from them! From my little experience with garage kits this is almost always the case. I wonder if there is a way to know what you are buying before you actually buy it? The price is usually quite steep though...

This is not the Norm, sadly it does hapen from time to time but if you stick to trusted Kitters like Frank/Moe, Mike Salzo etc you shouldn't go wrong. Saying that this was from a trusted Kit maker, I guess it should've been replaced really, it would be interesting to see if other shuttles are like this one???

Like Guy said, they are not all like this. When looking to buy a garage kit ask around. It's like the wild west in the prop world, so you have to be careful. But don't a few things you see turn you away. For there is some real neat stuff hidden from view.

This is not the Norm, sadly it does hapen from time to time but if you stick to trusted Kitters like Frank/Moe, Mike Salzo etc you shouldn't go wrong. Saying that this was from a trusted Kit maker, I guess it should've been replaced really, it would be interesting to see if other shuttles are like this one???
If they were cast with the dye in the resin there is a very good chance(unless someone got lucky).

Steve has a real nightmare on his hands. Didn't he cast other models with dye in the resin?

Holy crap! Thats got to be the worst resin kit I've ever seen! I'm sorry you're stuck with it, I bet those were pretty pricy!? Why are you only getting the cockpit replaced? The entire hull looks like useless barf.

Cheers,

Steve.

I've had warps before and they come out in the end. Steve is replacing some parts for me. The trouble with this hull is there is no support in the center. There are four cast in joists that go across the hull. The warps have occured in between these joists. As the curved edges have warped they have dimpled the top and bottom flat surfaces. I figure if I can machine an armature which fills the interior void , then pull the hull over it with a little heat it should come together. If not then I am stuffed and will have to scratch a new hull which for me is the worst case scenario.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back