Showoff: WORLD'S 1ST Titanium Luke ROTJ Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by 5postboy, Nov 9, 2005.

1. 5postboy

5postboy New Member

Hi all, it's been a while since I did a show off thread. Just wanted to share pics of a project I just completed. :D

This ROTJ Luke is no ordinary lightsaber. This saber was made of grade 5 solid aircraft grade titanium. The material is extremely hard and it's said to be 10 times harder than steel but just as light as aluminium. This thing weighs only 850 grams, less than a kilogram.

It is extremely hard to machine, much more difficult than stainless steel. The hollow body took 2 hours just to drill out. Basically this project was very expensive, took about 3 months to construct and this is the only one made. Check out the material at metalonline.com and you'll know how much the material cost. Not to mention the machining cost and electronics. :eek

The saber's measurements are very accurate. Got a good reference directly off the MR luke I used to have.

On top of that I wanted this to have an added feature. At first it was supposed to have a vibrator and a super bright green LED on the emitter but because of space constrain on the inside of the saber and a lot of mess, I decided just to go with a luke with lighted LED arrows.

The copper pieces were made of real copper and later sand blasted for the rough look. It was protect with a layer of copper plating. So no paint like that on a MR's. The Tri-ring was made of stainless steel.

The LEDs lights up by sliding the activation plate. This was the most frustating process altogether.

Now the LEDs were custom made. These are in the correct size and since these were not sold readily, it had to be made. They are sharp looking.

Also, this saber DOES NOT have any threaded rod to hold it on the inside. The pieces have their own threading to it. This makes the saber basically hollow from the emitter right down to the pommel. A battle rod could be inserted. Without further delay, here's some progress pics.

The only thing I think could be improved were the black on the ripped area. I couldn't find anyone who could black anodise titanium.

Let me know what you guys think. I think this is truely the Premiere(Elite of all elite) version of all Luke ROTJ sabers. It is basically an indestructible saber, every sense of the word. :D At least that's how I want to think it is ;) Thanks, chen.

Progress Pics:
    The control box was hollowed for inserting the electronics. This was wire EDM, impossible to be done by milling. The activation strip plate was also wire EDM out of copper. The lines were cut out, they are real grooves. The black you see were not painted but was black zinc plated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Completed Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. vaderbreath

vaderbreath Well-Known Member

Wow. I've always been curious to see one of these in titanium, and it looks absolutely beautiful. Be proud of that piece. Thanks for sharing.
    -Corey

3. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Sweeeet.

Great Project.

FB

4. Polluxius

Polluxius Active Member

Wow, and I thought my titanium watch was expensive, ;)

Nice work, truely inspirational

5. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Now where can I find a jawdrop icon when I need one... :confused
    That lightsaber is really beautiful.

Now this is what I call Elite Edition. :thumbsup

6. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Chen what a stunning example of a dream prop, incredible work and devotion. Amazing work.

7. Killdozer

Killdozer Active Member

10 times harder than steel and you still have to wear gloves to handle it? :D

It's freaking beautiful. I wouldn't let anyone touch it.

KD

8. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

Now that is impressive...

Dave :)

9. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oooooo. :D

You could use that as a part in a jet engine, thereby completing the circle. :sleep

- k

10. darthgoat

darthgoat Well-Known Member

That is beautiful.

11. 5postboy

5postboy New Member

Hi guys, thanks for all the great compliments. Yes this is a dream come true for me.

Hahaha....that's right...man... I'll even trade the entire saber for those obi emitter.

BTW, I was wondering if titanium could be anodised black....any leads? Thanks all, chen.

12. Luke Warmwater

Luke Warmwater Well-Known Member

:confused

13. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

14. Archie Opteryx

Archie Opteryx Well-Known Member

I don't collect SW props and I'm not really a SW fan, but I gotta say that thing sure is purty.

15. 5postboy

5postboy New Member

Thanks Andres, actually I haven't seen those yet. I'll check them out. Here's another teaser pic with an acrylic blade installed ready for duel....

[​IMG]

Yes Luke Warmwater....it was supposed to have a vibrator that creates a humming and feels like it's actually a working hilt...too bad that didn't came along well. Figured it'll be useless for the humming if it doesn't have an emitter LED. Thanks, chen.

16. Dean O

Dean O Well-Known Member

I machine titanium on a regular basis in my shop, knowing what a pain the stuff is to work with, I commend you even more for doing such an awesome job. Looks superb.

17. agent5

agent5 Sr Member

I'm not much into the sabers, especially not the Luke ROTJ saber, but I am more than impressed.

That looks like flawless work. Be proud. :thumbsup

18. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

19. Jedi_Dogs

Jedi_Dogs New Member

That has got to be the most beautiful Luke ROTJ lightsaber that I have ever seen. Congratulations on a job well done Chen.

20. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Thats beautiful :)

21. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow.

The Luke ROTJ Hero is not my favorite saber, but that is SMOKING impressive.

B):thumbsup

22. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

That may be the most beautiful saber I have ever seen.

Outstanding job.

Jim

23. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Woah...I'm speechless....I would even recommend a carbon fiber blade ;).

:cheers,

T

24. (^_^)

(^_^) New Member

Titanium is my fav alloy and that's one of the most beautiful saber handles I've ever seen.

Great job 5postboy.

25. Crimsonnaire

Crimsonnaire Well-Known Member

Magnificent.

That is 'Super Elite Edition.'

I think this marks prop history as the very first completed titanium lightsaber replica.

Congratulations, Chen.

26. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Sr Member

Wow... just wow...

27. AT-AT Luvah

AT-AT Luvah Sr Member

If ever a Homer drool icon were necessary, it would be now.

That thing is freakin' sexy beyond words.

Grrrlrlrlrlrlrlrllrrlrlrl.

28. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

Outta sight saber man. That is frickin sweet eye candy you got there. Nice job and great result for the effort you put in.

29. Crimsonnaire

How heavy is it?

I imagine it has some weight, since titanium is about twice as heavy as aluminum.

30. Howard

Howard Sr Member

850 grams.

Chen, that's the best version of this saber I've seen. Stunning.

Howard. :)

31. Dewy

Dewy Well-Known Member

10x stronger then steel ay? DROP IT... Let's see some drop-test before and after pictures??? :lol

J/K the very though of dropping such a beautiful piece makes me shutter.

32. Got Maul

Got Maul Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

great job man . How nice is it to have michael jackson hand model it for you too ..

33. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Well-Known Member

To be honest,

I really don't think this saber LOOKS much better than the other ROTJ Luke's I've seen, BUT what sets it apart are those LEDs.

I'm VERY impressed by those light-up LEDs. :thumbsup

Knowing a little bit about how tough it is to work with titanium and something about its expense (I've read quite a bit on aviation history and the SR-71 Blackbird development "saga"), the creator of this blade was extraordinarily brave and must have been mildly crazy to use the alloy. The stuff's expensive and a bitch to machine even if its strength-to-weight is far superior to most alloys. Kudos. :thumbsup

I'm sure Chen would get a lot of praise from ex-Skunkworks employees on this project... :lol

I'm sure more than a few of them would be wondering WHY a civilian would work a hobby project out in the metal... :confused :lol

34. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Titanium to metal is like diamond to carbon...

Beautiful work, sir. :)

- Gabe

35. DCB

DCB New Member

Mmmmmm......titanium saber.

[​IMG]

36. LZeitgeist

LZeitgeist Well-Known Member

Beautiful work..

37. Phayze

Phayze Well-Known Member

amazing.

My wedding ring is titanium, and I'm always amazed at how light and strong it is. Someday, when I win that big lotto jackpot, I'm going to have a titanium rapier and dagger set custom made. ;)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that reaction.

38. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Pretty darn cool to see, incredibley nice job.

39. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Wow. That's a beaut.

:)

40. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

The titanium really adds that "not of our galaxy" finish to the project. Awesome.

41. 5postboy

5postboy New Member

Hey, thanks for all the added great compliments from everyone. Out of galaxy? If there's any material that should be used in the Star Wars "Real world galaxy", titanium will be it. Titanium has that lustrous shine to the metal that no other metal has. The colour of the metal is extraodinary. It is also highly resistance to any form of chemicals or elements. I think it is a non reactive metal on the periodic table. It won't oxidise like aluminium, brass and sometimes even stainless steel.

If anyone need pics of any other angle of the saber, let me know and I'll post them. Thanks, chen. :)

42. Rabittooth

Rabittooth Well-Known Member

Man that's beautiful. I love these types of projects when members dig a particular prop so much that they go to these lengths to own the ULTIMATE version.
    Absolutely amazing.
    You should make a stunt blade with the green 3m reflective tape wrapped around it. That would look awesome.

-Rabittooth

43. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say that I've never like Lukes RotJ lightsaber (personally opinion nothing against people who do) and yet that is possibly the most beatiful saber I've ever seen.

44. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Okay now I want a titanium Obi ANH pommel and clamp. Chen?? :D

45. BoBoDohn

BoBoDohn Well-Known Member

:eek Super Cool.. Way to go...

46. Crimsonnaire

You know what? I've been idle-thinking about how Obi-Wan's ROTS saber falls from such an unbelievable height, and lands in one piece. Indeed, only titanium has a chance of doing that. SS would mold like butter, and aluminum might not even survive the friction from impacting winds.

If they ever invent real lightsabers, anything other than titanium would be insufficient.

I can't say I like the color that much, but it does catch the eye. As for corrosion resistance, it is less corrodable than silver. And I'm not sure if SS could ever oxidize because I'm under the impression that oxidation only happens in low humidity gases, and certain grades of SS, commonly, corrode in chloride-containing solutions (submerged).

I'd love to have a titanium Anakin AOTC. :)

47. CeSquared

CeSquared Sr Member

:cry

That is so beautiful I'm crying....

48. SirJediKnightTim

SirJediKnightTim Well-Known Member

MR eat your heat out........ That's beautiful.......

49. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Awesome..

FB

50. 5postboy

5postboy New Member

Thanks again guys for the praises. Imperious, I believe the stainless steel that United Cutlery uses would oxidise and form elements caused by sweat when we handle them without gloves. I have a friend who has a UC frodo sword and it was handled with bare hands and left displayed on the wall. Few months later it oxidised and formed rust spots.

They were removed easily with brasso polisher leaving no trace of rust but the fact is that they do form rust on certain SS. Titanium on the other hand would not even if left in the open or so they say....

If anyone wants to know more about titanium grades and the likes, do let me know. I would expect to see more Ti sabers or props in the future for showing off....I hope this was an inspiration to all that it's doable if you have the dedication and of course the $$$$s...Thanks, chen.