Showoff thread: Star Trek III phaser

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by phase pistol, Nov 21, 2011.

1. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just had to bust out the showoff thread for this fine piece. :D

Built and detailed for me by Steve Dymszo of SDStudios. This is the kit sold by Roddenberry.com. No electronics unfortunately, we just couldn't connect those dots. But as a static piece, it rocks!

Steve even fixed the trigger button for me, giving it a black cap (can't abide Radio Shack red-button phasers! :lol)

Comes apart with screws, and has the switches and LEDs already installed, so if the right electronics do turn up, it can easily be made into a "hero". :)

My "Genesis Planet" exploration set is at last complete! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. silverskyes402

silverskyes402 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Beeeautiful!!!

3. TallDarkandDisfigured

TallDarkandDisfigured Sr Member

VERY nice!! Gives me some ideas for this piece of resin I have here. Does it have functional lights or anything?

I need to track down a trigger button for mine I think, I don't see it in the bag..

4. Quinn

Quinn Active Member

Now, that's pretty. Great idea to build it for "future expansion".

5. SD Studios

SD Studios Well-Known Member

Where's the blue stripes that are supposed to be on the sides? :rolleyes

6. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My favorite Phaser since the TOS version.

Nicely done Steve!

7. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is the natural evolution of the phaser after TOS.
    Looks great.

8. Mercury

Mercury Sr Member

You could gut one of the STII DS toys for the fx. I've seen that done with good results.

9. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

Beautiful, but I'm very disappointed to find that once again, the working STIII Phasers built by Richard A. Coyle have become unavailable on Roddenberry.Com. That's still one of my "Holy Grail" prop replicas that I keep intending to save up for.

10. thegreatgalling

thegreatgalling Sr Member

Man! Who is going to clean all this drool off the floor now?

Unreal man, beautiful pieces.

11. Felgacarb

Felgacarb Well-Known Member

Nice! Gotta love the ST:III Phaser...

12. phase pistol

Possibly but the way the lights work on the Trek III is different than how the WOK toy works. Also the sound effect is different in III than WOK.

Now me, I'd be perfectly happy with just a light effect accurate to the prop... but it just got too complicated. :unsure

k

WinstonWolf359 likes this.
  13. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice lookin' prop!

-Rylo

14. Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac Sr Member

Beautiful!

My favorite phaser design hands down. I need to get my hands on one of those one day.

15. Cadeian

Cadeian Active Member

That looks amazing to my eye! Great work.

16. vitacura

vitacura Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Beautiful, looks great!

17. phase pistol

Thanks! There are no working electronics in this kit I am afraid. There is a working trigger switch (Radio Shack momentary switch with a black cap swapped out for the original red cap, thanks Steve!) but it isn't hooked up. The P1 has got the slider switch installed on top that would normally activate the cycling red LEDs. In place of those LEDs is a clear plastic piece that they provide.

Coolest of all the p1 is attached to the pistol grip with f'in MAGNETS. How they work remains a mystery. :sleep

k

18. phase pistol

MISSING!!!! :cry

As we say on Earth... "C'est la vie." :sleep

[​IMG]

19. iamdrake

iamdrake Active Member

Even without the stripes very impressive.

20. TallDarkandDisfigured

TallDarkandDisfigured Sr Member

I actually picked up some small magnets at Michaels just for that purpose. Can't wait to get started on mine now..

21. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

Looking at the pictures again, I realize just how fantastic the roddenberry.com replicas are when compared to the Real McCoy. Here's 2 pics of an actual screen-used filming prop, taken by Richard A. Coyle himself back when he was working on ST IV....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to Mr. Coyle himself, we have these wonderful, modern prop replicas that are now superior to the original filming props in terms of fit, finish, and functionality! True works of art! :cool:thumbsup

Oh, and you'll notice the original screen-used prop didn't have a red trigger, either! ;)

22. Mercury

Mercury Sr Member

Yeah, those magnets are strong. I used them to secure the grip plate on a DS gun to access the batteries and it snapped on solid and had to be pulled off intentionally. No accidental falling off.

23. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Sr Member

Very nice. May start into Trek props one day and this would definitely be one of the ones needed!

24. Plane Crazy

Plane Crazy Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice! That is one phaser I hope to add to the 'ol collection.... someday.

25. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

Nice work.

Ya know... I do like the WOK phasers... but the SFS are much closer to the TOS design... as were the tricorders and communicators. So I think I prefer them. It is odd that they changed in the... at most week or two between TWOK and TSFS. My fan made-up exlplanation: there were several variants in use at the same time. In fact, since the SFS phaser looked more like the TOS phaser than the TWOK and TMP phaser, it may be an older design. Tricorders might have been more function based... as would communicators. I've always imagined that the big clunky ones used in TWOK had a further range and longer battery life... used specifically for longer missions that would be further from the ship... or in this case, where the ship was on low power and might have high tail it at any moment.

Or the TWOK phasers were modified TMP phasers, and Nick Meyer liked big, clunky things while Nimoy did not.

But I like my explanation better... even if it is a stretch :p

26. phase pistol

Just realized that the Coyle photo of the side view is backwards! Bevel on the handle is on the wrong side. :D

Here it is fixed, and in black and white, since I can't seem to get rid of that strange purple cast it has.

[​IMG]

Because of how the light is going, I'd guess that his photo of the top side is just rotated 90 degrees. I enhanced the color a bit.

[​IMG]

27. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

You mean that WASN'T a special left-handed model for the "Southpaws" amongst the Enterprise's crew? :lol

On a related note, there is currently an auction on eBay (not posting a link for obvious reasons) for a Star Trek III Phaser done up in a "retro style paint scheme from the original series!"... With silver emitter nozzle, stripes on the sides of both phaser units, RECHARGE PORT ON LEFT SIDE (which never actually showed up on the final filming props, as we all know) and BLACK Phaser One and Phaser Two bodies. Yep, that's right.... he couldn't even be bothered to get the paint scheme right, instead using the popular mythconception of what the color scheme was. You know, the black & silver color scheme that was seen on TOY replicas back in the 1970s! :rolleyes

And although the claim is made that it's "cast from screen-used originals", anyone with any knowledge of this prop can see how wildly inaccurate it is when compared to the photos of the Real McCoy that Mr. Coyle snapped back in the day. ;)

28. Mercury

Mercury Sr Member

It looks like a bad recast of a EM phaser and the paint job looks terrible. Looks like he received it and slapped paint on with no prep work.

29. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I was just thinking that...it really looks like what the TOS phaser could become after a few years of upgrades and development.

Anyway, sweet piece!

30. phase pistol

Trek III phaser in Kirk's Nexus house in "Generations" (not quite visible on screen...pic from "Art of Star Trek" book)

[​IMG]

31. phase pistol

At last! The missing blue stripes have been found. :)

[​IMG]

This is how dainty people properly hold the phaser whilst asking to pass the salt. :sleep
    [​IMG]

Business end!
    [​IMG]

k

32. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

I think that is a wonderful collection there phase pistol....very impressive ....always love Star Trek .....series and the movies.....I hope to get a few built sometime this year myself ....great work man....remember phasers on stun....

33. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Nice! It looks all hot rod like with the blue pin stripes.

34. drusselmeyer

drusselmeyer Well-Known Member

Too bad about the electronics though. The electronics really bring the piece to life.