Showoff: Refinished Rubies Vader Armor

Darth Kahnt

Sr Member
Here are a couple of pictures of my newly painted Rubies Vader Armor. I will use this armor for trooping and other events that will require a lot of interaction with children. The armor was primed by myself and I put the cape hook hole in. RPF member TK-427 did the paint job and it looks awesome. It is going in the shop today for clear coat, I will post more pictures when the clear coat is done. I am delighted with the way it turned out. Thanks to wackychimp fro hosting:

DSCF4163.JPG

DSCF4164.JPG

Feedback welcome and appreciated.

Wow.....looks fantastic....hard to believe that's a set of Rubies armor. I do hope tho that the paint has a flex agent in it. ;)

Originally posted by KevVader@Feb 13 2006, 12:55 PM
Wow.....looks fantastic....hard to believe that's a set of Rubies armor. I do hope tho that the paint has a flex agent in it.  ;)
[snapback]1183263[/snapback]​

:)

Yes it does. It's automotive paint, got it for free. :D

Originally posted by Darth Domain@Feb 13 2006, 02:13 PM
Very nice Chris, can't wait to see pics when its clearcoated as well. What are you using for the hook?
Mark
[snapback]1183341[/snapback]​

Mark, Im going to use a picture hanger and bend it to fit. I used the same thing on my fiberglass armor.

I am going for an ESB look and I know that the ESB Vader has no cape hook but for some reason I like it. :D

Anyways, the armor went in the auto shop today and is coming out tomorrow. I cant wait to see it.

Originally posted by DarthKahnt@Feb 13 2006, 02:41 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of my newly painted Rubies Vader Armor. I will use this armor for trooping and other events that will require a lot of interaction with children. The armor was primed by myself and I put the cape hook hole in. RPF member TK-427 did the paint job and it looks awesome. It is going in the shop today for clear coat, I will post more pictures when the clear coat is done. I am delighted with the way it turned out. Thanks to wackychimp fro hosting:

DSCF4163.JPG

DSCF4164.JPG

Feedback welcome and appreciated.
[snapback]1183182[/snapback]​
HEY CHRIS IT LOOKS GREAT ON THE FORUM. IT WAS NOT THAT HARD TO DO WITH THE AIRBRUSH. CANT WAIT TO SEE IT CLEAR COATED. LATER BUDDY ROD

Originally posted by TK-427@Feb 13 2006, 04:54 PM
HEY CHRIS IT LOOKS GREAT ON THE FORUM.  IT WAS NOT THAT HARD TO DO WITH THE AIRBRUSH.  CANT WAIT TO SEE IT CLEAR COATED.  LATER BUDDY  ROD

Yes, it does look great. My camera came through this time and took pictures that do the armor justice. :)

It will be coming out of the auto shop today. Only had to wait one day.

Of course Ill have to give the armor time to cure before wearing but still....

Here are the pics of the finished product. You can't tell it's Rubies armor. It looks like fiberglass, what an incredible job. Thanks to TK-427 for the paint job and thanks to Custom Automotive for the clearcoat. Thanks to my wife Laura for taking the pics. I did the priming, sanding and cape hook by myself. The pics are me with the armor and my cKing fiberglass lid and TK510 gloves, plus one of the armor by itself. Thanks to Wackychimp for the hosting:

DSCF4226.JPG

DSCF4229.JPG

DSCF4230.JPG

DSCF4231.JPG

DSCF4234.JPG

Needless to say I am thrilled. I will be using this armor primarily for trooping to prevent potential damages to my fiberglass set. I think it turned out great.

....are you sure that sweatshirt is accurate? :p

...well done. The armor looks fantastic. I'd also reinforce it with some sintra or similar material to give the armor some "weight"....otherwise, very nice. :thumbsup

Originally posted by KevVader@Feb 16 2006, 07:04 PM

...well done. The armor looks fantastic. I'd also reinforce it with some sintra or similar material to give the armor some "weight"....otherwise, very nice. :thumbsup
[snapback]1186387[/snapback]​

Well, it's not exactly accurate but its all my budget could afford. :D

Kev, what exactly is sintra? Ive never heard of it before. If it will give weight to the armor I am all about getting it.

Thanks for the kind words people. I really appreciate it. Keep the comments. coming... :cheers

Originally posted by Goldenrod@Feb 16 2006, 10:17 PM
Looking Good Chris.
Be sure and post pics of when you get all put together and on.
-Goldenrod
[snapback]1186543[/snapback]​

Yes, I will do that. I should have those pics up in a week or so.

Originally posted by DarthKahnt+Feb 16 2006, 07:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthKahnt @ Feb 16 2006, 07:56 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-KevVader
@Feb 16 2006, 07:04 PM

[snapback]1186387[/snapback]​

Well, it's not exactly accurate but its all my budget could afford. :D

Kev, what exactly is sintra? Ive never heard of it before. If it will give weight to the armor I am all about getting it.

Thanks for the kind words people. I really appreciate it. Keep the comments. coming... :cheers
[snapback]1186487[/snapback]​
[/b]

Sintra material is closed-cell, expanded plastic, high-density polyvinylchloride sheet. Varying thicknesses, but a thinner sheet is easy to cut and manipulate. Sign makers sue it a lot...very pliable & inexpensive.

Originally posted by KevVader@Feb 17 2006, 04:15 PM
Sintra material is closed-cell, expanded plastic, high-density polyvinylchloride sheet. Varying thicknesses, but a thinner sheet is easy to cut and manipulate. Sign makers sue it a lot...very pliable & inexpensive.

Would I bond that to the armor using epoxy?

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back