Showoff: Refinished Rubies Vader Armor

Originally posted by DarthKahnt+Feb 17 2006, 04:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthKahnt @ Feb 17 2006, 04:56 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-KevVader
@Feb 17 2006, 04:15 PM
Sintra material is closed-cell, expanded plastic, high-density polyvinylchloride sheet. Varying thicknesses, but a thinner sheet is easy to cut and manipulate. Sign makers sue it a lot...very pliable & inexpensive.

Would I bond that to the armor using epoxy?
[snapback]1187204[/snapback]​
[/b]

Epoxy, or any other strong cement/glue used for plastics...

Thanks for the help Kev. I was wondering what I could use to give the armor some weight because it is very light, as I'm sure you know.

Originally posted by DarthKahnt@Feb 18 2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the help Kev. I was wondering what I could use to give the armor some weight because it is very light, as I'm sure you know.
[snapback]1187871[/snapback]​

i would probably just duct tape a piece of heavy metal at the center of the armor
quick and easy for trooping

Originally posted by DarthKahnt@Feb 18 2006, 03:49 PM
[snapback]1187871[/snapback]​

No worries....not only will the sintra give the armor a more"substantial" feel and weight, it will also help to reinforce in order to keep it's shape....won't flex as much....

Originally posted by WebChief@Feb 18 2006, 09:13 AM
What a fantastic difference.  Great work.
[snapback]1187672[/snapback]​

Thanks for all the kind comments guys.

I knew this costume had some potential when I got it and that in order to realize some of that potential I would need to put some work into it. I started with the helmet, which turned out wonderful and was in fact my first project since I picked up this hobby. I have partially modified my chestbox and I just finished the armor. I modified the one piece suit to make it more breathable and comfortable, although I ultimately bought a two piece suit.

I plan to suit up soon and take some pictures using only the Rubies parts of my costume to illustrate the work I have done. Perhaps Ill do that tomorrow if I can. I have replaced some of the Rubies parts such as the gloves, bought fiberglass armor, etc... but I will use only Rubies parts to illustrate the difference some work can make.

Keep the comments coming, the praises are good for my ego. :angel

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back