Showoff: Refinished Rubies Vader Armor

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Darth Kahnt, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Here are a couple of pictures of my newly painted Rubies Vader Armor. I will use this armor for trooping and other events that will require a lot of interaction with children. The armor was primed by myself and I put the cape hook hole in. RPF member TK-427 did the paint job and it looks awesome. It is going in the shop today for clear coat, I will post more pictures when the clear coat is done. I am delighted with the way it turned out. Thanks to wackychimp fro hosting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feedback welcome and appreciated.

2. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Wow.....looks fantastic....hard to believe that's a set of Rubies armor. I do hope tho that the paint has a flex agent in it. ;)

3. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

:)

Yes it does. It's automotive paint, got it for free. :D

4. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

Very nice Chris, can't wait to see pics when its clearcoated as well. What are you using for the hook?
    Mark

5. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Mark, Im going to use a picture hanger and bend it to fit. I used the same thing on my fiberglass armor.

I am going for an ESB look and I know that the ESB Vader has no cape hook but for some reason I like it. :D

Anyways, the armor went in the auto shop today and is coming out tomorrow. I cant wait to see it.

6. TK-2067

TK-2067 Well-Known Member

HEY CHRIS IT LOOKS GREAT ON THE FORUM. IT WAS NOT THAT HARD TO DO WITH THE AIRBRUSH. CANT WAIT TO SEE IT CLEAR COATED. LATER BUDDY ROD

7. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Yes, it does look great. My camera came through this time and took pictures that do the armor justice. :)

8. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

It will be coming out of the auto shop today. Only had to wait one day.

Of course Ill have to give the armor time to cure before wearing but still....

9. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Here are the pics of the finished product. You can't tell it's Rubies armor. It looks like fiberglass, what an incredible job. Thanks to TK-427 for the paint job and thanks to Custom Automotive for the clearcoat. Thanks to my wife Laura for taking the pics. I did the priming, sanding and cape hook by myself. The pics are me with the armor and my cKing fiberglass lid and TK510 gloves, plus one of the armor by itself. Thanks to Wackychimp for the hosting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needless to say I am thrilled. I will be using this armor primarily for trooping to prevent potential damages to my fiberglass set. I think it turned out great.

10. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

That looks great. Real nice job fellas.

11. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

:thumbsup Looks great DK.

12. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

....are you sure that sweatshirt is accurate? :p

...well done. The armor looks fantastic. I'd also reinforce it with some sintra or similar material to give the armor some "weight"....otherwise, very nice. :thumbsup

13. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Well, it's not exactly accurate but its all my budget could afford. :D

Kev, what exactly is sintra? Ive never heard of it before. If it will give weight to the armor I am all about getting it.

Thanks for the kind words people. I really appreciate it. Keep the comments. coming... :cheers

14. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

Looking Good Chris.
    Be sure and post pics of when you get all put together and on.
    -Goldenrod

15. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Yes, I will do that. I should have those pics up in a week or so.

16. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Sintra material is closed-cell, expanded plastic, high-density polyvinylchloride sheet. Varying thicknesses, but a thinner sheet is easy to cut and manipulate. Sign makers sue it a lot...very pliable & inexpensive.

17. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Would I bond that to the armor using epoxy?

18. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

Score for the whipping boy of the Vader costume universe :p
    Beauty.
    JJ

19. WebChief

WebChief Sr Member

What a fantastic difference. Great work.

20. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

Nice one chris :thumbsup

21. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Epoxy, or any other strong cement/glue used for plastics...

22. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Thanks for the help Kev. I was wondering what I could use to give the armor some weight because it is very light, as I'm sure you know.

23. darth_manu

darth_manu Well-Known Member

i would probably just duct tape a piece of heavy metal at the center of the armor
    quick and easy for trooping

24. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

No worries....not only will the sintra give the armor a more"substantial" feel and weight, it will also help to reinforce in order to keep it's shape....won't flex as much....

25. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Thanks for all the kind comments guys.

I knew this costume had some potential when I got it and that in order to realize some of that potential I would need to put some work into it. I started with the helmet, which turned out wonderful and was in fact my first project since I picked up this hobby. I have partially modified my chestbox and I just finished the armor. I modified the one piece suit to make it more breathable and comfortable, although I ultimately bought a two piece suit.

I plan to suit up soon and take some pictures using only the Rubies parts of my costume to illustrate the work I have done. Perhaps Ill do that tomorrow if I can. I have replaced some of the Rubies parts such as the gloves, bought fiberglass armor, etc... but I will use only Rubies parts to illustrate the difference some work can make.

Keep the comments coming, the praises are good for my ego. :angel