Showoff....my "Move Along" Sandy is done

DL 44 Blaster

Sr Member
I JUST finished this and popped off some quick pics. It's an " " kit that I built up and put in a set of Keith's mic tips (thanks bud :thumbsup ) and I custom cut a welders sheild into eye shapes. Had it leftover from my Boba ;)

The "Move Along" Sandy is soo hard to get right since his helmet weathering is sooo subtle in some scenes and very obvious in others. I did the BEST I could and have about 6-8 hours into just the weathering alone using 7 different colors :eek .

He's got all hand painted details, 13 tube stripes and all the cracks, chips recessed mic screens and mouthpeice style paintjob found on the real deal that just hit auction. I also heated up the signature right eye with a heat gun and bent it in as the original doesn't have this feature.

I used all Polly scale acrylics to weather it....which was a bear. I diluted them down approx. 50/50 so I could use a white or blue "scrubee" to remove as necessary since the acrylic is much more difficult to come off than the Woodland Scenics. My local Micheals didn't carry them :( I am VERY pleased at how well it came out. The acrylic will be totally permanent which is a feature that had me on the fence with the Woodland Scenics since it rubs off so easily.

Enjoy the pics.

[attachmentid=7189] [attachmentid=7190]

Very nice weathering, I plan to use acrylics instead of the woodland scenics so thanks for proving how good it can look. :thumbsup

OT - What are you using for the bottom trim? The AP comes with more brow trim but that looks too loose. I know there is the UK caravan window trim SW-150 that is very close to the SDS trim (I have a few feet of that) but is there any evidence with Sandtroopers that that is correct?

Originally posted by shabad@Mar 12 2006, 08:18 PM

OT - What are you using for the bottom trim? The AP comes with more brow trim but that looks too loose. I know there is the UK caravan window trim SW-150 that is very close to the SDS trim (I have a few feet of that) but is there any evidence with Sandtroopers that that is correct?
<div align="right">[snapback]1204454[/snapback]

[/quote]

I too used the brow trim 'til I find some suitable bottom trim. Here's a pic from starwarshelmets.com that show's the style of the bottom trim. It's different than brow trim...I've just got to get some.

[attachmentid=7191]

Hey, VERY nice. :thumbsup
I like weathering that's permanet too, your acrylic grime looks very authentic, very close to the real deal.

Nice.

Steve.

When i looked at the helmets at the auction viewing in London, i checked on the trim on the helmet shown and it looked like the S trim you can buy in the UK. It just looked like one side of the 's' shape had 'glued' itself to the other...suppose how rubber breaks down over the years and sticks to itself.

This may sound like a silly question but I have to ask... how did you get your brow trim so high? I have the AP helmet and the brow trim skirts across the top of the eyes.... I've always wanted to place it up higher on the forehead but can never seem to figure out just how to do it short of drilling new holes for the sides so I can tilt the faceplate.

Before final assembly I used electrical tape on the dome to get the exact placement of where I wanted my brow trim. After being satisfied I just trimmed to where my line was an viola...intant character reference Trooper :D

I did the same thing on my Stormie as well. Quick easy and effective.

Steve

This is a GREAT looking helmet.

Please forgive me, but where did you get the helmet to weather? Is it a custom? I would be interested in doing something similar, but frankly I don't know where to start.

Originally posted by Keith@Mar 15 2006, 05:03 PM
Nice Job.
Did you paint the mic tip screens black?

Keith.
[snapback]1206512[/snapback]​

No they're in there, but I just recessed them in pretty far like the original had.....they're kinda hard to photograph with no flash.

Thanks for all the compliments guys :)

Steve

Steve, the move along mic tips screens are not far back, they are painted black.
You now have a bit more work to do :lol

1.jpg

Keith.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back