SHOWOFF: My idealized Roman saber's

lesternessman

I posted a showoff thread a while back with pics of the progress. Since then I have done a number of things that hindered completion, the biggest of which was moving cross country. Since arriving here, I finally had some spare time to finish these hilts off. I added stormpath's transistors to both sabers; the ROTS obi grenade side transistor was copper leafed to mirror the copper button on the actual ROTS saber. I also added some of that leafing to the OT saber to keep with the theme, as in the case of the copper stem. I left off the extra washer since I don't think it was on the actual OT saber all that long. I also added the covertec knob to the booster. I also swapped out the plastic AS knobs with two of Roman's; the ROTS was an earlier model with the slender cubes, the OT one is from his final run before the recent discoveries with the wider cubes.
I just wanted to thank you Roman for putting these sabers out there in the first place. They are my favorite sabers, and if I had to sell my collection off for one reason or another, these would be the last to go...
Not screen accurate of course, but just the way I want them.

Thanks for the comments. Paint, sand, paint, sand. I got really lucky with that one. It came from Roman with a black anodized surface. I lightly sanded off some of the black, added a little burnt sienna/burnt umber, then black, then sanded, and did the same thing all over again a couple times. Needed something to use my fine art background...

Both of those look sweet, but that weathered saber is jaw-dropping gorgeous. :eek I may have made the parts, but the final product is ALL YOU. Very nice indeed. :D

Glad I could help. :)

Thanks again for the comments, especially yours Roman. Here's a couple more views from the other side just for gazing purpose. Not too mention a better view of Master Panda's transistors. I may have to start a third one of these just to show off the updated parts that are in progress now. Also a big thanks to trooper trent for selling his mpreps double saber case. Soon I'll have the perfect case to display these in.

time for some modification pics...
rebelscum1.jpg

rebelscum2.jpg

rebelscum3.jpg

rebelscum4.jpg

I removed the paint from the weathered stem, most of it anyways, and went the vinegar and water route, with a little torchin' to add the needed black. I think I may keep it this way, at least for a couple months :grin:

Now all I need is a little polish for the pristine stem and a brass laser etched version of the ROTS activation board and then I'll need a new project...oh yeah, and a chrome clamp.

Last edited:
Here's the last batch of updates to go in this thread, unless of course I decide to swap out these parts with Roman's ever growing list of new and accurate ones. :D So I finally got some plaques that finish this project for me. First the sabers, then the stand/case and last but not least the plaques. I got these from Thomas and they are just perfect. Highly recommended. The first two pics look kind of bunk, but you get the idea...

DSCF0005.gif

plaque2.gif

plaque3.gif

plaque4.gif

And for those of you who don't know Thomas, I'll let him chime in if he wants, these plaques are not metal... Thanks again, Thomas.

.....alright I changed my mind. Here's a pic. The two things I changed this month>I installed the second washer under the first transistor on my ROTS hybrid. I actually like it since the transistor is copper leafed, doesn't look so wrong. The other thing I did was modify the washers I had between the gear and the handwheel. I couldn't find the right size>I wanted it to look like I had the right booster, but I still have the old gear. I found some washers that were in between the sizes I had, one too big and the other too small, but the hole in the middle was way too small to fit the rod. So I took my trusty dremel and carved out the hole to fit the rod (3 8/16th) so that I could slide it in place. I also had to glue two washers together to get about the same space of the original booster, (the gear, SPACE, threaded area that is underneath the handwheel). I scorched the weathered set of washers and left the pristine silver even though I should probably paint it black as well. I tried to sand them so you couldn't tell there was actually two washers glued together. In this pic, you probably can't tell but I thought I would post it anyways :D

DSCF0012.gif

Now, looking at the pic, I have to file off the end of the lever rod sticking out the side on both sabers, and get that clamp on the hybrid chromed. I was even toying with the idea of getting another clamp just so that I can weather it differently.. :D

A little more than a year ago I originally posted the thread; there is "NOTHING" at the moment left to do to these two sabers that will make them look any better than they do now. They can finally sit on display and not be bothered by me and an inkling to tinker.
The hybrid's grenade finish was too glossy (in the earlier pics you can't really make out the grenade ridges all that well) so I steelwooled it down to take away the shine. Here's a full body and emitter shot. Rather than paint the base of the stem black to look like the ROTS saber, I am leaving mine brass because I like how it looks sitting atop the grenade, as seen in the emitter shot. I would still like to chrome the clamp, but we'll see..maybe some day.
DSCF00101.gif

DSCF0015-1.gif

As for the weathered hilt, I wasn't feeling the green from the oxidation process on the windvene, so I removed it and re-weathered it by other means. I also swapped out the clamp. I had used tape on the first one as well as the brass screws. Dave's (Vaapad) clamp inspired me to follow suit, so this one is tape and screw-free, with some more good old fashioned sanding, scorching and chemical weathering.

wea45.gif

DSCF0039.gif

Now I need to find something else to do with my spare time...oh yeah I just bought a new house. That should keep me busy...until next year. Merry Christmas, Gang.

Last edited:
It's not done until you chrome the clamp :p

Glad to see you have finally 'finished' these sabers - and very nice they are too :D

....you're right Mikey, it's not done. In fact, I'm not sure these will ever be. So, the thread continues...

I've acquired a chrome clamp for the ROTS/ANH hybrid. It really looks great, although, keeping my fingerprints off it is a challenge. :D Added Gavidoc pommels because I liked the sharpness of the cubes; looks really nice on the hybrid. I also acquired one of Roman's newest balance pipes so that I could go another direction with the look on the weathered saber-also no added dents to the bottom of the emitter around the stem since recently some believe the blemishes may have been solder instead of dents..No plans to add solder though. As to be expected, here's some more shots...enjoy

p2050052aa2.jpg

p2050054cg1.jpg

dscf0003ar7.jpg

dscf0004jc9.jpg

...need to learn the art of taking better pics... :p

Hey Wes, can you post a list of the make of all the parts that's on both your OBW ANH now?

Something like:

Hybrid:
Emitter: Roman's (new)
Grenade: ?
Clamp: ?
Transistors: stormpath
Booster: ?
Pommel: Gavidoc

And the same thing for the weathered one.

Much obliged :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaberFreak @ Feb 19 2007, 10:04 PM) [snapback]1422346[/snapback]</div>
Hey Wes, can you post a list of the make of all the parts that's on both your OBW ANH now?

Something like:

Hybrid:
Emitter: Roman's (new)
Grenade: ?
Clamp: ?
Transistors: stormpath
Booster: ?
Pommel: Gavidoc

And the same thing for the weathered one.

Much obliged :)
[/b]

No prob- As you might notice, the parts have changed over the course of the thread
All parts Roman, various models, but his none the less
Emitters, Grenades, Boosters on both sabers
(the outer shell of his latest balance pipe is on the hybrid, while the inner ring to that pipe is on the weathered saber)

Stormpath's Transistor's on both sabers, one chromed set and one machine finished, now weathered set

I believe the Clamps are Park's, Blast tech bubbles and TFX studious obi circuit board

current pommels are Gavidoc (Earlier pics in the thread are Roman's pommels, two different versions, both came before his lastest AS 3 piece model)

A little paint, gloss and flat black, Aluminum black, sandpaper, steel wool...and homemade elbow grease

and here's a pic of the saber's first incarnation, almost four years ago. At the time I had three of them. The weathered sabers had different transistors and modern AS handwheels. The hybrid did not yet have transistors, hence the screws :D
dscf0019qd9.jpg

and shots of both weathered sabers..one with the flat inner ring, and the other with the sloped inner ring. I used to have chrome tape on the clamps, but have since removed it.
dscf00051vd0.jpg

dscf00033sx4.jpg

dscf0021mf4.jpg

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back