Showoff: Cast from screen-used ANH Medal of Yavin

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by James Kenobi 1138, Feb 19, 2012.

1. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A few years ago I was lucky to get in on a run of cast from screen-used Yavin Medals from SD Studios/Steve D.

Steve had obtained a 1st Gen medal cast right off the screen-used one in epoxy resin with zero shrinkage. It was molded and and mine is a 2nd Gen cast.

I had messaged Steve to see how much clean-up/filling/sanding it needed as it's a little rough looking. I was advised that these copies are pretty much dead-accurate, the actual medals were really a lot rougher then they look on-screen and if I wanted a screen accurate one I should keep the sanding to a minimum keeping all the warts, dings, and rough patches.

So a quick wash, primer, and paint. There are 3 holes on the top on the original that were used for an attachment method. I drilled down further into those holes and tapped them for some brass 4/40 screws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut a 1/4 inch flat brass bar and drilled holes to match-up with the screws.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was able to get the correct British Military Officers tie and did some quick sewing to finish the Medal up for the prop party this weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Phantom22

Phantom22 New Member

Looks good. Did not know that the medals were that rough looking. Have to go back and watch the movie again.

3. James Kenobi 1138

Thanks. I like this one so much I sold off my MR version a few years ago when I got this one.

4. Dirty

Dirty Member

I thought the same thing especially for honoring someone but it turns out they are rough and I would have never noticed unless I read this. Great piece though

5. R2Dan

R2Dan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I picked one of those up on here ages ago as well... I was about to dig it out of storage and finally finish it, did a google search for display options and found your thread :) They are indeed craptacular! :D

6. jun

jun Active Member

Wow, never knew it was so rough..i think i've gotten use to looking at the MR version!

7. James Kenobi 1138

Thanks guys ! I really love this little prop. So simple, but a direct connection to the movie. I'm really glad I picked up up.

8. jediscout72

jediscout72 Well-Known Member

9. James Kenobi 1138

Interesting interpration you've got, very 'in world' looking. It's neat, I like it.