Showoff - Batteries Not Included WHEEMS

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Kylash, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Got this little guy as a rough kit a few months back and finally got around to finishing him. Batteries Not Included is a great movie if you've never seen it i highly reccomend it. Anyway, here he is, sorry for the bad pics, camera doesnt focus well within a few feet. I have yet to do the decals on him with barcodes adn words from the pieces of metal he's supposed to be made from, but Ill do that once i get inkjet decal paper. Then made the little display base from bondo and tiles from a random craft store,weathered up a bit and thats that. Had planned to put in some LEDs to light up his marble eyes (was fun dremeling out enough to fit those in there) but it didnt work out, later Im going to finish up a second rougher kit into him compact with his legs up, and probably try the LEDs on that. Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rebo

Rebo Well-Known Member

I love it..... and I can't wait to see the finished job.
    It would be really cute to have Flotsam and Jetsam and the little one's (can't remember their names) all together.

I am kicking myself really hard now as I was offered a very rough kit a long while ago and passed up on it :cry .

Please keep us updated on this build....and oh yeah,get a better camera. :p

3. LDR

LDR Sr Member

Very nice. I love Batteries not included. Haven't seen it for years...any info on the kit?Is it cast from an original or anything?

Looks great.

Lewis

4. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Great piece.

5. Kylash

Thanks :) Not sure the origins of the kit, a few details, mostly the legs,seem a bit different from the original, but otherwise its very close.

6. Rebo

Rebo Well-Known Member

Kylash327... I've pm'd you a link to a nice picture of your guy that might help with some details.

I would have posted it here, but I don't know whos banned and who aint.:/

7. Kylash

Thanks much, thats actually the picture I used for alot of reference and deciding what details were off, but thanks much :)

8. adamata

adamata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am glad you did that kit justice. I would never have gotten around to finishing it. It came out great. Nice work :)

9. Kylash

thanks man :D

10. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

Hey Nice job.

If you could pass along the photo that you used for reference that would be great cuz I got 2 of these kits and I got to build one. If anybody wants one of these kits PM me and we could do some sort of trade. These kits are really rough so you do have some work ahead.

11. Kylash

yeah, i had to do a bit of sanding and resculpting stuff, but for such an obscure prop and little known movie, its a * good replica.

12. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

13. Kylash

yeah thats the pic i used for ref.

14. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Love it, need it, want one, now.

15. Firefoxm31

Firefoxm31 Sr Member

i have one of these kits,Always had a sof spot for "baby wheems" but better still, we have all three, and i believe mother at Planet Hollywood in Orlando..i took pics but i dont have a scanner...
    William

16. Kylash

do you have pics of the other two babies? Would love to find kits of them too.

17. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

I used to watch this movie all the time, that replica is very cool.

18. Rebo

Rebo Well-Known Member

This is the only picture of the whole family I can source.

[​IMG]

Thanks wackychimp

19. Rebo

Rebo Well-Known Member

Sorry for the bump, but just wanted to know if you made any more progress with the little guy?.

Any more pictures?. :)

20. Kylash

well like i said, hes basically done, i just need to do the decals of the barcodes and stuff,waiting to get a new power source for my printed, then ill probably get some decal paper and give it a go,no better pictures im afraid, not till i get a better camera, those are the best i can do =\

21. mythic_lionheart

mythic_lionheart New Member

OMG. It has been forever since I have seen anything from that movie. lol. Great work bud. :)

22. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

Awesome kit... makes me sad to know that i passed up on one a long time ago.... Lets see more pics

23. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

That's awesome. I love that movie, and now I totally want one.

24. Kylash

Just got the decals on. He had a little fall and his little arms fell off, but Im getting them back on soon :p Again, i need a new freaking camera...but here he is, all decaled up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Megatron

Megatron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

that's sooo cute...great work....one of my favorites a tear jerker at that..

26. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Is this the movie where the little robot makes hamburgers?

Either way, good job.

27. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

That be it :)

28. MightyMorphinPR

MightyMorphinPR New Member

ohhhhh wow. That's really cool. I remember that movie from when I was younger. Wow I haven't seen it in years...it was so cute.

Wow, that's an excellent prop.

29. Edward H

Edward H Well-Known Member

Anyone have any of the Batteries Not Included kits?...Or know where to get them? I have been searching for a long time... Any information would be great.

-Ed

30. sector 7G

sector 7G Well-Known Member

If memory serves me right the robots from Batteries Not Included was made by Greg Jein or at least by his shop at the time.

31. MjolnirArmor

MjolnirArmor Well-Known Member

picked up the movie after not seeing it for years. Watched it a couple of weeks ago. Brilliant job you did there.

32. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

What a fantastic job on a lovely kit. That movie gets me every time and I think that scene you've created captures the movie perfectly.

Wish I could have one.

33. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Megatron @ Feb 12 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]1182587[/snapback]</div>
    Same here... :cry

I would love to have a bot..

Tek

34. Edward H

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekmage3000 @ Dec 15 2006, 08:02 AM) [snapback]1378541[/snapback]</div>
    Same here... :cry

I would love to have a bot..

Tek
    [/b][/quote]

Yeah same here...im not sure why they never made any production kits of all the Robots...

35. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Is this the film where the little robots flip hamburgers in one scene?

36. Edward H

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gnrlotto @ Dec 15 2006, 07:38 PM) [snapback]1379009[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, thats one of the best scenes...then he gets put into a hamburger bun :p .

37. Kylash

ive got a really rough castings from a clay mold off my last kit before I sold it as a backup to try making a lighted eye one someday, but thats all ive got aside from the finished kit, which i really need to get more pics of... maybe ill take it outside adn get some today :)

38. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocBrown88 @ Dec 16 2006, 09:44 AM) [snapback]1379280[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, thats one of the best scenes...then he gets put into a hamburger bun :p .
    [/b][/quote]

I hoped I was thinking of the right flick. And I agree with everyone else: the robot is awesome.

39. Kylash

took a couple more shots, it was overcast out, and my camera is pretty crappy unless its a bright sunny day so they arent much better than what i had, but here they are anyway. The legs were one thing I never thought was really accurate, but i went with em anyway. The decals were done on the computer and printed to slide decal papers with a laserjet copy machine. then hes got some nice weathering, again hard to see. When i did the kit, i ground out the eyes and replaced them with clear marbles, with the idea of lighting from the inside, but i never figured it out, someday i may pop them out and replace them with bright green marbles. When its nice out ill get better pics i promise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

40. hollywoodhardware

hollywoodhardware Sr Member

Very nice.

Here's a picture I took at PH Orlando:

[​IMG]

Thomas

41. Kylash

oh wow, thanks. awsome.. Any more pictures? I had no clue anything like that existed, wow. What is PH Orlando?

42. Edward H

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kylash327 @ Dec 16 2006, 06:02 PM) [snapback]1379537[/snapback]</div>

Its Planet Hollywood... I had heard about it, but this is the first time i have seen pics... Very Cool. I would love more pics too.

43. DB73

DB73 Well-Known Member

always wanted one when i was younger but long forgot the movie lol. now i remember that and flight of the navigator were amoung my origional top 10 movies list :p

44. hollywoodhardware

hollywoodhardware Sr Member

Ok, here is the rest of the pics. Sorry but it was very hard to take them because of the display case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Thomas

45. Kylash

WOW. Thanks so much. Man, now I wanna fix everything that I had to guess on :p

46. Edward H

Yeah, those pictures are great... very detailed shots.

47. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

I think it's about time to give the movie the right credits and make the whole robot family including Wheems, that little cutey as Ultra Deluxe Kit. They really deserve it.

48. Edward H

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YenChih Lin @ Dec 18 2006, 02:08 AM) [snapback]1380236[/snapback]</div>

So i found out that Batteries Not Included was actually called "Miracle on 8th Street" in other various countries. A production kit of Wheems was actually created by a japanese manufacturer. Needless to say they are extremely rare and nearly immposible to find...

49. Kylash

any pics of this kit out there?

50. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

LOVE IT.