Show your Dr. Who props!

I already posted about it on the introduction thread but I wanted to tease a bit here as well about it. Hope that's ok. ;)

This new series orange space suit helmet is a project I'm working on.
I'm so happy to see other Makers on this forum are also working on this helmet, it's really what made me finally register a membership and got me back to finishing the models for the parts. :D

Helmet and visor I already have IRL so the models for those seen in the photo-rendering below are just simplified mockups in 3D.
Note that the 3D-modeling isn't finished yet, see blog for more info.

SPace%2BHelmet%2B20180717.jpg

Blog here:
https://engineermakercosplay.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
I've just recently built a Sonic screwdriver for a friend of mine in the US. He's a bit of an eccentric and loves Dr Who. He even sees himself as a future incarnation of the Doctor and to be honest he does look the part.
I thought it was about time he had his own bespoke sonic screwdriver rather than just a copy of existing ones.

I also added a slight steampunk twist to it as this is his other love

The two things I wanted to achieve was It had to be sturdy to be carried in a pocket at conventions therefore all metal construction- and bolted together - no glue where practical.

The other was sounds and lights.

This is what I came up with.

20180626_131802.jpg20180626_131816.jpg20180626_131843.jpg20180626_132246.jpg20180626_132335.jpg

The control rings on the handle turn by hand and also spin when the vibration unit is switched on. The various rings in the glass section also spin when switched on.

This is a photo of the unfinished top section lit. I did have some photos of the finished item lit but seem to have mislaid them.

20180530_080128.jpg

He didn't know I was building it so It came as a surprise when when it was delivered. Needless to say He's very happy with it.

So, I'm not the only American who claims to be a future regeneration of the Doctor? I wonder how many of us are out there. When there were 8 doctors I started claiming spot 13, but now that there are 15 regenerations (War Doctor counts, and so does David Tennant twice) it'll have to be 26...

At any rate great original Sonic Screwdriver Muttleysdad. Your friend is very lucky!! Absolutely love it!!!

I've just recently built a Sonic screwdriver for a friend of mine in the US. He's a bit of an eccentric and loves Dr Who. He even sees himself as a future incarnation of the Doctor and to be honest he does look the part.
I thought it was about time he had his own bespoke sonic screwdriver rather than just a copy of existing ones.

The two things I wanted to achieve was It had to be sturdy to be carried in a pocket at conventions therefore all metal construction- and bolted together - no glue where practical.

View attachment 831023View attachment 831024View attachment 831025View attachment 831026View attachment 831027

The control rings on the handle turn by hand and also spin when the vibration unit is switched on. The various rings in the glass section also spin when switched on.

This is a photo of the unfinished top section lit. I did have some photos of the finished item lit but seem to have mislaid them.

View attachment 831028

He didn't know I was building it so It came as a surprise when when it was delivered. Needless to say He's very happy with it.
That is really gorgeous. I've often thought about doing something similar (in idea only!? but wanted mine to have some practically function as well.I figured a flash drive & torch were easy but then struggled with wqhat I could minaturise to fit in.

Simply brilliant! Do you possibly have a video of it in action? I would be very interested in discussing a build sonic for myself. Your work is exceptional! The acquaintance who received such a brilliant designed sonic and I seem to have somethings in common. After all, I’ve been told that I’m the American Doctor. The originally you might say. ()

Beautiful job.Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Gary

Matthew,
You have an awesome collection !! I still love that K-9.

Regards,
Gary

View attachment 831023View attachment 831024View attachment 831025View attachment 831026View attachment 831027

View attachment 831028

Great sonic. What did you use for the rings/dials?. Thanks

I think they're called rotating prayer rings that you wear on the finger. the inside is static and the outside spins.

That's great, Many thanks. Ive had a look at various designs & will work with what I want to do. Out of interest, what size ring did you use & how did you measure them against the main body of the Sonic?

I think they're called rotating prayer rings that you wear on the finger. the inside is static and the outside spins.

What were, the ring sizes you used & how did you measure them against the main body of the Sonic? Ive an metal tube I want to use & wondered how to measuew the rings against it to fit over it.

Many thanks :)

Hi all,

I have show this off on a 2nd Dr thread at the weekend, but realized I've not done so on here! So, as I'm proud to finally have found one after a few years of searching forgive my excitement!

Here, picked up at one of those indoor Markets that sells bric-a-brac, is... The 2nd Drs Sonic Screwdriver as seen in THE WAR GAMES.

Sonic Pen1.jpg Sonic Pen2.jpg Sonic Pen.jpg

Last edited:
What were, the ring sizes you used & how did you measure them against the main body of the Sonic? Ive an metal tube I want to use & wondered how to measuew the rings against it to fit over it.

Many thanks :)

I looked up ring sizing charts on the internet- some of them give diameters as well as sizing letter so you can get a reasonable idea of the size needed.

hope this helps.

Simply brilliant! Do you possibly have a video of it in action? I would be very interested in discussing a build sonic for myself. Your work is exceptional! The acquaintance who received such a brilliant designed sonic and I seem to have somethings in common. After all, I’ve been told that I’m the American Doctor. The originally you might say. ()

Sorry I didn't take any video footage of it. I'll have to ask my friend if he wouldn't mind.

Nathanalaneller
SWEEET PROP
surprised.png

How long did it take to make it?

It took a year of collecting bits and bobs and test fitting them together until I came up with a combination I liked, and once at that stage about another two months of sourcing parts to finish it off.

Well, here's a thing. Whilst clearing out my Parents place this week I came a cross a few things of mine, one of which was my very first. Dr Who prop! It's nothing special really, just a plastic red handled Screwdriver. I bought it because the 4th Dr used one in 'Terror of the Zygons'. I was so thrilled at the time when I saw them for sale in Woolies (and it brought a smile to my face again this week). Ah, prop collecting was a lot easier and cheaper in the good old days :) IMG_20180921_151901.jpg

I saw a short video showing one of the doctors using the sonic screwdriver to unscrew an actual screw. I was blown away. It was really funny.

LOL! Well I guess that's what it originally did in Fury from The Deep & War Games. Then 'bang' it became a magic wand for everything! A mate of friend of mine has been tinkering about for years with a version that he describes as a Swiss Army Knife Sonic. ie it's has bits that pull out for different jobs.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back