Show your custom Lightsabers!

Picked up an unbranded flash gun on a popular auction site for under a tenner and decided it was high time I went through the greeblie stash and put something together.

The knurled flash gun I managed to snag had a great 'press fit' battery/capacitor holder so I built the emitter off that. I think I may well create a crystal chamber in there at some point. Seems too convenient not to.

PXL_20210205_224537792.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210205_224559022.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210205_224825510.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210205_224851756.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210205_225136689.PORTRAIT.jpg

Parts list, in case it's useful to anyone:

A Lens housing from an old cinecam, a Korbanth OWK 7/8ths emitter, some odd piece of tapered aluminium, the top of an old otoscope and a red thumb screw make up the emitter.

The blade plug is a vape coil wedged in to a Lego tyre which itself is squeezed nicely into the Korbanth emitter. I figure as I won't be swinging this around (yeah right) it should stay put.

The pommel is the endcap of the flash gun with a large thumbscrew wound into another nylon press fit chunk that was already in there.

The activation box is from a minixcam twinklite with a black clamp card.

Picked up an unbranded flash gun on a popular auction site for under a tenner and decided it was high time I went through the greeblie stash and put something together.

The knurled flash gun I managed to snag had a great 'press fit' battery/capacitor holder so I built the emitter off that. I think I may well create a crystal chamber in there at some point. Seems too convenient not to.

View attachment 1422485
View attachment 1422486
View attachment 1422490
View attachment 1422492
View attachment 1422493

Parts list, in case it's useful to anyone:

A Lens housing from an old cinecam, a Korbanth OWK 7/8ths emitter, some odd piece of tapered aluminium, the top of an old otoscope and a red thumb screw make up the emitter.

The blade plug is a vape coil wedged in to a Lego tyre which itself is squeezed nicely into the Korbanth emitter. I figure as I won't be swinging this around (yeah right) it should stay put.

The pommel is the endcap of the flash gun with a large thumbscrew wound into another nylon press fit chunk that was already in there.

The activation box is from a minixcam twinklite with a black clamp card.
Looks fantastic!

I have a thread about this one but figured I'd add it here too.

PXL_20210309_211346575.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210309_211549042.PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20210309_214708.jpg

Whilst I'm here id love some thoughts about the next one I'm working on.

PXL_20210318_155434704.PORTRAIT.jpg

It's an old Laryngoscope I found on eBay which just looked too perfect to pass up. When I received it however it was much smaller than I was expecting. Luckily the star wars universe is filled with species of all shapes and sizes so that's the story I'm going with.

So far I've used the "clamp" off a Leitz flash, some random greeblie held in place with the scopes thumb screw for some emitter detail and some t-track. Been staring at it for a week but not really sure where to go from here so I thought I'd ask you fine people.

Attachments

• PXL_20210318_155447336.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210318_155447336.PORTRAIT.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Absolutely, it was a surprise when I opened the box. Apparently it takes a B-cell battery?

As I mentioned though, the sheer variety of species in the Star Wars universe kind of makes me think I can get away with something unusual... Maybe it's a Grogu scale lightsaber? :)

Interestingly this is the only thing with t-track which actually feels like you could use it. I normally hate t-track on C/D cell flashes because it just feels weird to hold.

Finished up another Peaksaber™ this evening. I haven't contributed to this thread in six years! :eek: Been kinda busy with other things.

Not much to say about this one, it's my typical handiwork.

A Peak 3 cell flash that was going to be converted into a "working" lightsaber, but I never got further than purchasing a TCSS blade plug for it.

I put the original bulb socket back in it, cut a circuit board for it, installed an old school Yodashouse ANH D-Ring on it and eight of my "Scott D" stainless steel grips. The sixteen 6/32" stainless button head allen head screws from Ebay, everything is drilled and tapped. I like to build 'em sturdy.

IMG_20210404_082251891~2.jpg

IMG_20210404_082316502~2.jpg

And a picture next to one I built back in 2015. They're twins...kinda.

IMG_20210404_082403334~2.jpg

Last edited:
Finished up another Peaksaber™ this evening. I haven't contributed to this thread in six years! :eek: Been kinda busy with other things.

Not much to say about this one, it's my typical handiwork.

A Peak 3 cell flash that was going to be converted into a "working" lightsaber, but I never got further than purchasing a TCSS blade plug for it.

I put the original bulb socket back in it, cut a circuit board for it, installed an old school Yodashouse ANH D-Ring on it and eight of my "Scott D" stainless steel grips. The sixteen 6/32" stainless button head allen head screws from Ebay, everything is drilled and tapped. I like to build 'em sturdy.

View attachment 1442475

And a picture next to one I built back in 2015. They're twins...kinda.

View attachment 1442476
Oh man, I think I remember this one! I love your steel grips, they look so neat!

As I mentioned though, the sheer variety of species in the Star Wars universe kind of makes me think I can get away with something unusual... Maybe it's a Grogu scale lightsaber? :)
I love how Star Wars is a universe ripe for crazy, zany non-humanoid aliens, and all the specialized technology that comes with it. For example, Master Yareal Poof in the EU had an extra long lightsaber hilt to accommodate his body shape and size. There must be billions of different body shapes that have been Jedi over the millennia. It's fun to consider what their lightsabers would have looked like.

Yeah I was just thinking yesterday that it would be cool to do an alien lightsaber. That alien Gorc in Dark Forces Jedi Knight also had a really long lightsaber. The in game version was ridiculously large, but the concept art shows on that has a more realistic diameter and is about 2ft long.

You know, it could be a really fun to have a little 'non-human saber challenge'. Like how you guys did the Graflite challenge a while back. I think having to consider the unique features a saber might need for a particular species whilst still keeping that Star wars aesthetic could yield some interesting results.

Good to see you back, Scott.

Thanks. :)

My math was wrong, earlier. I haven't added anything in this thread in five years, not six.

I finished this one last night. I bought this Canon Model X around the same time I built my CanonSaber in 2017, using a Model Y as a starting point.

Unlike the Model Y conversion, this was an easy one, like the Peaksaber ™. Grips, D-ring and a circuit board.

IMG_20210404_081700473~2.jpg

IMG_20210404_081733946~2.jpg

And a picture with the Model Y conversion I built five years ago.

IMG_20210404_081609969~2.jpg

Wow, a thread full of extremely cool lightsabers! Here is my latest OT-inspired hardware lightsaber, which I have completed just recently. My goal was to construct a custom lightsaber hilt using similar components that the prop makers of ANH used when building the OT lightsabers.

Parts rundown:
  • Emitter: MG42/53 flash hider
  • Emitter core: plastic pourer for cat milk
  • Upper grip: vintage custom HD motorcycle grip
  • Clamp: vintage Heiland clamp
  • Clamp card: Slothfurnace ROTJV2 vintage finish side A
  • Lower grip: solid aluminum core, WannaWanga classic T-track grips 7 x 5 inch
  • Pommel: cast iron handle from an old coal stove. A threaded M10 rod holds all the parts together
  • Greeblies: various knobs, cables etc. from my greeblie box
Here is a little story I wrote around the saber - hope you like it!

The Sith FireBlade
Have you ever seen a weapon which can cut through a lightsaber blade? Well, here it is. The Sith FireBlade is a legendary lightsaber, around which many myths entwine. Once a Jedi lightsaber, part of the hilt including the Kyber Crystal was re-used to build the FireBlade after the crystal was bled to red. Its specialty is the laminated blade, which consists of a magnetically stabilized plasma core that is encased in a Sith flame. The laminated blade is difficult to control – only an experienced Sith with the knowledge of the ancient Sith weapon smiths is able to construct and handle such a dangerous weapon.

The FireBlade handle is more than twice as heavy as a standard Jedi or Sith lightsaber handle due to the number of energy cells and a sophisticated primary and secondary cooling system for the Sith flame emitter. Its internal energy flow and the exact construction details are a well-kept Sith secret. When activated, the Sith FireBlade generates a loud hum, which is accompanied by further sound vibrations that sound almost organic.

This Sith FireBlade has a special feature: by pressing and holding a small hidden button, a V-Boost is activated. The V-Boost creates a controlled short circuit that provides ten times the energy for the blade for about a second. Within this one second the blade is so energetic that it can cut through a standard lightsaber blade. However, the V-Boost bursts the risk of core overheating, which can lead to an explosion of the FireBlade. There are rumors of two ancient Sith Lords who were killed by their own FireBlades long ago. After activating the V-Boost, the FireBlade switches off automatically, as the energy cells need to be re-charged.

Sith FireBlade with descriptions.jpg

My custom Vader's Vault just arrived today. This is an exacting duplicate replacing my Random Sabers hilt, the Killswitch, which, despite my years of careful care was starting to age out. The original hilt had a 3W LED on a momentary switch. My new hilt comes with all the modern bells and whistles of every color, every sound, and a blinding and beautiful pixel blade.
173704398_10223781391776430_8143146927783246871_n.jpg
173113791_10223781392056437_4924504915403346446_n.jpg

My custom Vader's Vault just arrived today. This is an exacting duplicate replacing my Random Sabers hilt, the Killswitch, which, despite my years of careful care was starting to age out. The original hilt had a 3W LED on a momentary switch. My new hilt comes with all the modern bells and whistles of every color, every sound, and a blinding and beautiful pixel blade.View attachment 1446398View attachment 1446399View attachment 1446400

That is one sexy hilt. I always liked Random Saber's designs. Very nice duplicate.

My custom Vader's Vault just arrived today. This is an exacting duplicate replacing my Random Sabers hilt, the Killswitch, which, despite my years of careful care was starting to age out. The original hilt had a 3W LED on a momentary switch. My new hilt comes with all the modern bells and whistles of every color, every sound, and a blinding and beautiful pixel blade.
The Killswitch was one of my favorites. Really cool to see it duplicated after all these years, even after all the love you showed the original, and it looks fantastic.

Hey guys. I haven't posted at the RPF for quite a while but here's my latest custom saber. Designed and built from scratch by me. Hope you like it.
Greenie.

Custom Lightsaber by Greenie.
Very cool. I like the innards, especially how the non-circular shape was utilized for some unique layout choices. Also the wrap etching looks really cool.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back