Show your custom Lightsabers!

Wow, this thing is nice!
Can you confirm this is based on a “Grafite 3 cell - Military version”? Really want one now...

This would go beautifully with a dark crystal chamber design. :cool
How does this compare in size to an OT Vader MPP? Any thoughts?
Building one chassis for both would be way more cost effective... ;)
Thanks!

Yes, it’s the military Graflite. You can save a lot of money by just buying a regular one and painting it black and then doing the build. I think they have the same I. D. I don’t have it now to measure but judging by my pic of it on the grid above, I’d say about 13 1/2”.

I’m not a chassis builder but would love to see what you come up with if you do a build!

Last edited:
I’m not a chassis builder but would love to see what you come up with if you do a build!

From a design point of view, it'll probably look similar to my approach on building a Graflex chassis from Shapeways brass.
Less steampunk, new materials and using the best electronics available.
Just imagine a dark side version using less brass and more dark materials...
Nevertheless, first things first - even if the idea of building a "combi chassis" for an MPP and your design is pretty compelling.

As I mentioned my Graflex chassis, I'll have to share some renderings with you. (Sorry for watermarking these, just read the lightsaber scam thread earlier today...)

Part of the fun for me definitely is pushing the boundaries from a tech point of view, so it will have some pretty neat new features, like 2 cell (standard) USB charging with integrated R.I.C.E., linear vibration motors (similar to the ones in modern smartphones) linked to the sound output and a contra rotating crystal chamber.

Top view:
SW Rendering Alpha 2 - Graflex Chassis-privat.jpg

Bottom view:
SW Rendering Alpha 1 - Graflex Chassis-privat.jpg

Crystal chamber details:
SW Rendering Alpha 3 - Graflex Chassis-privat.jpg

And it's new home... :love
IMG_5188-privat.jpg

I plan on having the real version finished by the end of the year and will be doing a plastic prototype first, so this one will get a proper build thread... ;)
Until then, I would love to hear your thoughts on this design - including healthy criticism of course!

Last edited:
From a design point of view, it'll probably look similar to my approach on building a Graflex chassis from Shapeways brass.
Nevertheless, first things first - even if the idea of building a "combi chassis" for an MPP and your design is pretty compelling.

As I mentioned my Graflex chassis, I'll have to share some renderings with you. (Sorry for watermarking these, just read the lightsaber scam thread earlier today...)

Part of the fun for me definitely is pushing the boundaries from a tech point of view, so it will have some pretty neat new features, like 2 cell (standard) USB charging with integrated R.I.C.E., linear vibration motors (similar to the ones in modern smartphones) linked to the sound output and a contra rotating crystal chamber.

Top view:
View attachment 833625

Bottom view:
View attachment 833626

Crystal chamber details:
View attachment 833627

View attachment 833628

I plan on having the real version finished by the end of the year and will be doing a plastic prototype first, so this one will get a proper build thread... ;)
Until then, I would love to hear your thoughts on this design - including healthy criticism of course!

Wow, very nice concept! Can’t wait to see it come to life. Somehow, I always imagined the material being silver/ black, like gun metal. Just my two cents.

Top view:
View attachment 833625

Bottom view:
View attachment 833626

Crystal chamber details:
View attachment 833627

View attachment 833628

Very nice! I'm exited to see it. So are you going you going to make it with brass are darker metals?

Very nice! I'm exited to see it. So are you going you going to make it with brass are darker metals?

Wow, very nice concept! Can’t wait to see it come to life. Somehow, I always imagined the material being silver/ black, like gun metal. Just my two cents.

Thanks guys, means a lot! :)

The Graflex chassis has to be made from Shapeways precious metals, as I optimized the geometry according to their design guidelines...
I started planning this using brass, as this is the material the Graflex itself is made from, so it felt like the right choice. ;)
The lasercut / etched fins will be made from stainless steel and brass.

My plan is to have all outside materials in metal while using an internal chassis for the electronics printed from plastic.
Haha, and to keep the price down, as Shapeways materials are ridiculously expensive. :cry

Is there a good 3D CAD software that is great for modeling a lightsaber hilt? Like loading stl files in of premodeled parts as well to just combine in with your saber?

Is there a good 3D CAD software that is great for modeling a lightsaber hilt? Like loading stl files in of premodeled parts as well to just combine in with your saber?

I would suggest starting with Autodesk Fusion 360, in case you can get a free maker / edu license...
Should be a nice combination of real CAD and a selection of free form features. Also way easier for starters than blender.

Nevertheless CAD (Fusion, Solidworks, etc.) and 3D design software like blender are made for a totally different purpose - while both are super powerful. ;)

Hello there,
This is my first post, and not my first prop, but The lightsaber is so fundamental for Star Wars that I decided to show mine own in the first place :)
Designed by me a few years ago and about a month ago it started too finally take shape. It was created on lathe from solid brass, stainless steel and beech wood, (switch is also stainless steel) I tried to achieve an elegant look but with some rough technical details, probably from years before prequel trilogy. I've sill a few details to add (d-ring on the bottom of hilt for example) and a little bit of weathering. A custom stand is also made by hand from the same wood as handle. Love to read your opinion about my lightsaber

39132369_891083607753874_3873353854317756416_n.jpg
IMG_5919.JPG
IMG_5922.JPG
IMG_5923.JPG
IMG_5924.JPG
IMG_5925.JPG

Hello there,
This is my first post, and not my first prop, but The lightsaber is so fundamental for Star Wars that I decided to show mine own in the first place :)
Designed by me a few years ago and about a month ago it started too finally take shape. It was created on lathe from solid brass, stainless steel and beech wood, (switch is also stainless steel) I tried to achieve an elegant look but with some rough technical details, probably from years before prequel trilogy. I've sill a few details to add (d-ring on the bottom of hilt for example) and a little bit of weathering. A custom stand is also made by hand from the same wood as handle. Love to read your opinion about my lightsaber

View attachment 839470
View attachment 839465
View attachment 839466
View attachment 839467
View attachment 839468
View attachment 839469

I freak’n love that you used wood to make this!! Awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. These sketches are amazing! Coming from lifeless CAD renderings myself, I wish I could do that. :rolleyes
You should display the saber next to the sketches, especially as you pretty much stick to them from what I can tell.

As clean as it is right now, it definitely has the prequel vibe you mentioned. Great job!
Keep us posted on the finished version. ;)

Hello there,

Very elegant - I love it!

I just bought on ebay for $325 a LDM V2 fully installed Luke saber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG....I am so excited!

Im suprised my post does not have more hits on it! LOL Considering that LDM asks about $800, for the same saber Im receiving, on his website.

Im just so excited to finally own a complete custom non force fx saber with actual prop film sound font at that price............

My excitement for this is close to what it was for my CFO helmet. I wanted a thin neck Luke for many years but imo the higher prices are to high. I think a custom lightsaber should max at $500 but more if it has a crystal chamber...Thats just my opinion. But I knew if I was patient and waited one like this would show up in my price range and it has. I AM SO EXCITED. I grew tired of the force fx sabers and I also hated the fat necks since day 1. I would rather Hasbro not make them if they would not attempt to address the neck.

I wonder if Disney will? Their Sabers all of them are smaller in diameter compared to the Hasbro sabers. The Kylo is appropriately sized! So would Disney attempt to make a thinner neck?

Im suprised my post does not have more hits on it! LOL Considering that LDM asks about $800, for the same saber Im receiving, on his website.

Im just so excited to finally own a complete custom non force fx saber with actual prop film sound font at that price............

My excitement for this is close to what it was for my CFO helmet. I wanted a thin neck Luke for many years but imo the higher prices are to high. I think a custom lightsaber should max at $500 but more if it has a crystal chamber...Thats just my opinion. But I knew if I was patient and waited one like this would show up in my price range and it has. I AM SO EXCITED. I grew tired of the force fx sabers and I also hated the fat necks since day 1. I would rather Hasbro not make them if they would not attempt to address the neck.

I wonder if Disney will? Their Sabers all of them are smaller in diameter compared to the Hasbro sabers. The Kylo is appropriately sized! So would Disney attempt to make a thinner neck?
Congrats, you got a nice catch for 300 bucks! That's one thing I hate about force fx lightsabers, the thick necks are just :facepalm. About pricing for custom sabers, I well understand the expensive prices I built my own with quality parts ( without a crystal chamber) and all the parts cost me roughly 400.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back