Show off: Tusken Raider head

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Darthmagpie, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Darthmagpie

Darthmagpie Well-Known Member

Hey guys, Just finished my Tusken head and I thought i would share. I ended up using my kit insted of the Aluminum pieces I had made, just found them easier to work with and with the rub n buff they looked pretty close. I used coffee(flash washed it out) and sand for the weathering. It was built on the Studio creations mask.

In no way do I mean to imply It is good enough for a side by side but i had to throw it in.

If anyone has finished thier masks with the kit, please add the photos to this thread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanks Wackychimp
    tThanks SC

2. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Nice work. Go nuts on the weathering so the flash won't wash it out. ;)

3. DonnieDarko688

DonnieDarko688 New Member

That looks really great. I agree with the weathering comment, I don't think that you can ever do to much.

4. Predatormv

Predatormv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would weather the leather around the mouth and darken the wraps and it would look perfect.

5. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Yup...weather...weather...weather LOL. I like the mouth. You did a great job there mate:)

Regards
    TAZ

6. Ripcode

Ripcode Well-Known Member

Always nice to see a new Tusken. :thumbsup

7. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

Nice work on that mask. Congrats. :)

8. Darth Fett

Darth Fett New Member

looks great nice work...

9. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Awesome job.

10. frosty

frosty Sr Member

Yes it looks great, maybe a bit more weathering, but its cool as is.
    Quick question, did anyone ever design what they looked like under there?

11. Darthmagpie

Thanks guys for all the compliments and suggestions..

Not exactly sure what you are asking Frosty, On the inside I lined it with 2 inch black pipe insulation foam. The same thing I do on all my masks and helemts. It is comfortable, neat, and the black hides light through lenses.

12. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

What's a Tusken Raider look like without all the protective bandaging and head gear...?

13. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice work on the Tusken head, magpie. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(frosty @ Jul 7 2006, 04:40 PM) [snapback]1275763[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>(Darthmagpie @ Jul 7 2006, 11:51 PM) [snapback]1275900[/snapback]</div>
    I think Frosty's asking whether anyone has ever presented a design for what a Tusken Raider looks like without his mask and wrappings.

14. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Nice job.

Here is a photo tip for you. When photographing your props, NEVER use the flash. Get the piece lit like you want it, set the camera on a stable surface (like a stand) and get the shot aligned. Turn off the flash and set the timer on the camera.

You may need to adjust the contrast a little in Photoshop but the results are well worth the extra effort.

:)

15. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

Way cool. Love those Tuskers.

16. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's really great work. Definitely weather that bad boy.

17. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

What a cool display piece.

I agree it would look even better weathered.

18. Darthmagpie

19. frosty

frosty Sr Member

Sorry guys, yes thats what i meant, what they look like without the wrappings, sorry again to take it off topic
    A naked raider :lol

20. Trooper TK409

Trooper TK409 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jul 7 2006, 10:54 AM) [snapback]1275901[/snapback]</div>
    Like people, only meaner. It sounds weird, but I believe they're simply a type of religious extremist humans. Anakin refers to them as men, women and children. (as opposed to males and females.) The nature of their coverings comes only from their almost fundamentalist religious belief that they can never be uncovered (punishable by death except on their wedding night) - similar to the cultures who cover women in burqas (sp?). To me, the enforcement of unusually strict practices by physical force or violent humiliation = religious extremists.

Nice Tusken. I'd darken those wrappings with plenty of though. I would have suggested using a darker material.

21. Darthmagpie

I agree the material could be darker. I was more concerned with the material so I would have the same strands hanging off and the "grain" pattern. The material is not as light as it is portrayed I will have to take new pics with the photo suggestions. The issue I have is justifing much further Weathering. In the desert all I can see is Sweat stains and sand. I know you can't see the sweat stains but they are there and if I goo too far it takes away from the effect. I may brush the whole thing with TEA wich is lighter than the coffee. It will allow the stains to show through while adding some lighter contrast. What do you think?