Show off thread

The Manlet

Sr Member
:( Here is my latest work with the rubie i have been messing around with these helmets trying to learn as much as i can befor i sulpt my own.

I tryed to make the rubies look like a GH ANH, i know to some even the thought dosent pass one's mind i.
So i decided to give it a shot, The dome i am said to say was where i failed :( but i have learned a great deal and i will give it another shot some time later.

Here is a few shot of the helmet, i had made some mistakes and i am sure i will be told what else i have missed.
Tell me how close you think i came
i didn't clear coat yet.

heres some shots with the dome i tryed to make as close to the movie used props as i could, and it came out bad i know :(
teshelmet22.jpg

testhelmet6.jpg

testhelmet9.jpg

testhelmet5.jpg

testhelmet10.jpg

heres a shot of a normal rubies dome and the one i tryed to mod..
testhelmet8.jpg

Here is the helmet with out the dome
testhelmet13.jpg

testhelmet14.jpg

testhelmet2.jpg

here is a shot of the new rubies with my test helmet to give an idea of the face work
i had done to the new one.
testhelmet16.jpg

testhelmet17.jpg

sorry the pictures are crap i will try to up grade to a new camra soon.

Not bad considering where it came from. Needless to say, you improved it quite a bit from it's original form. :) Nice job...

Dave

Even considering the photo quality, I'm impressed so far with what I see....it looks really interesting...looking forward to seeing more. I always admire people that have the time to tackle projects like this.... you have more talent that I have. :)

:cheers,

Thomas

Imo Impressive work. I never even imagined the possibility of turning this helmet into an ANH version. That's really cool. :)

And I agree; the Rubies dome is almost impossible to turn into an accurate ANH, since it is basically a RotJ and because of the design of the dome: you cannot sand down the center stripe without ending up with two halves. But with what you've been able to do, I would say you did a pretty good job on the dome. May I ask how you managed to lengthen it and how you corrected the rounded center stripe?

The chin vent, however, iirc, should be a little futher up near the mouth, pretty much as high up as the vent on your other Rubies, but it is a minor issue that doesn't really detract from your outstanding mod-job.

Would love to see some better pictures, if possible.

And keep up the good work. I'd be pleased if I can mod my Rubies even half as well as yours. :thumbsup

Excellent job. It's quite an accomplishment to do what you have done with the Rubies helmet. I know personally how challenging the mod can be without trying to get he GH ANH look, I can't imagine how challenging it must have been to do what you did. Way to go. :thumbsup

:)
Originally posted by Boba Frett@Mar 10 2006, 03:38 AM
Nice work :thumbsup  :thumbsup

Any way of getting more pics? :)
[snapback]1202726[/snapback]​

Yeh

Man I'll tell ya Awesome just Awesome

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thanks for all the kind words, it's the 2nd time i have tryed to make a rubies look like it was worth more then 30 bucks, I am sorry the pictures are crap i will have to have a friend come up here with a real camra as soon as i finish it off.
Everyone has been so nice about my failed work :) i might just strip the dome and do it again.

Originally posted by NoHumorMan@Mar 9 2006, 05:43 PM
Imo Impressive work.  I never even imagined the possibility of turning this helmet into an ANH version.  That's really cool.  :)

And I agree; the Rubies dome is almost impossible to turn into an accurate ANH, since it is basically a RotJ and because of the design of the dome: you cannot sand down the center stripe without ending up with two halves.  But with what you've been able to do, I would say you did a pretty good job on the dome.  May I ask how you managed to lengthen it and how you corrected the rounded center stripe?

The chin vent, however, iirc, should be a little futher up near the mouth, pretty much as high up as the vent on your other Rubies, but it is a minor issue that doesn't really detract from your outstanding mod-job.

Would love to see some better pictures, if possible.

And keep up the good work.  I'd be pleased if I can mod my Rubies even half as well as yours.  :thumbsup
[snapback]1202536[/snapback]​

Well to your question about the dome i was told it was impossible to do anything with it really and me being the fool i am when i hear somthings impossible i set out to make it possible :p but as you can see i was worng, i frist took some heavy sand paper i think it was somthing like 60 grit and i sanded away at the dome for about 2 or 3 days i striped the hell out of that thing and it worked but at the price of the dome being riped to piece's i then sanded it down with lighter sand paper to try and fix some of the super deep scartchs.

Then i took magic sculpt the stuff is worth the money in my eyes i use it for everything as long as the mix is right you will be fine ;) and it's farly strong as long as you treat it like fiberglass lol.
I reshaped the helmet and mask all by hand if i had some tools for the job maybe i would have done better? who knows all and all it took me 3 or 4 days on the dome alone :unsure
heres some shots close up i forgot to add to give an idea
testhelmet10.jpg

teshelmet20.jpg

A shot of just a repanted rubies dome
teshelmet19.jpg

i hope it helps if you have any questions when you mod your rubies shoot me an e-mail

Originally posted by vaderdarth@Mar 10 2006, 07:54 AM
I can't tell from the pics,  but maybe you can sculpt in the little Y-crease on the widow's peak.  :) 

Dave
[snapback]1202897[/snapback]​

i tryed but it came out bad so i just sculpted it over, i think the only way i could do it now on this helmet is to break it clean off :(

Originally posted by GundamZeppelin+Mar 10 2006, 03:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GundamZeppelin @ Mar 10 2006, 03:37 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-vaderdarth
@Mar 10 2006, 07:54 AM
I can't tell from the pics,  but maybe you can sculpt in the little Y-crease on the widow's peak.  :) 
Dave
i tryed but it came out bad so i just sculpted it over, i think the only way i could do it now on this helmet is to break it clean off :(
[snapback]1202916[/snapback]​
[/b]
Yes, I would agree that given the way the dome was made it is impossible to get the ANH look. Though, you could always consider buying an ANH dome and then attach it to your modified face, but that may not be what you want... I get the feeling you're a guy who wants to do things himself. (I think I'm too much of a cut-corners kinda guy and would rather buy another dome than destroy the one I have to mod it.)

From the grainy pictures, which makes it hard to really see the details, I would have to say that from what I can see, you did a pretty nice mod-job... :)

Originally posted by NoHumorMan+Mar 10 2006, 11:25 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoHumorMan @ Mar 10 2006, 11:25 AM)</div>
Originally posted by GundamZeppelin@Mar 10 2006, 03:37 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-vaderdarth
@Mar 10 2006, 07:54 AM
Dave

[snapback]1202916[/snapback]​
Yes, I would agree that given the way the dome was made it is impossible to get the ANH look. Though, you could always consider buying an ANH dome and then attach it to your modified face, but that may not be what you want... I get the feeling you're a guy who wants to do things himself. (I think I'm too much of a cut-corners kinda guy and would rather buy another dome than destroy the one I have to mod it.)

From the grainy pictures, which makes it hard to really see the details, I would have to say that from what I can see, you did a pretty nice mod-job... :)
[snapback]1203009[/snapback]​
[/b]
I have thought about getting an anh dome off ebay for some where around 115-150
But i wanted the work on the dome to learn the in's and outs befor i make my own one day. If i could make this look right i could do anything at lest thats what i was thinking :)
I'm striping the dome right now and reworking it.
I hope it comes out better this time heres hoping
and i will post some better pictures as soon as i am done with it
with the way it's looking i plan on selling it when i finish and
work on another one. Till i am ready to suclpt my own vader helmet

(if the dome is good enough for me to feel fine selling it to someone, if it is'nt up to par then i will slap another dome on it and then sell it)

The face is pretty much done but the dome is still not where i want it to be here are some of my latest shots.
The dome is far better then what it was but still not pleasing to the eye IMO
updatetestdome2.jpg

I think i made a mistake while sanding :(
updatetestdome.jpg

updatetestdome5.jpg

So rather then striping down the helmet again and reworking it i feel i may have to start again from scartch :unsure

anyone with tips or that has worked on darth vader domes befor feel free to give me pointers

Originally posted by GundamZeppelin@Mar 14 2006, 07:04 PM
I think i made a mistake while sanding :(
updatetestdome.jpg

[snapback]1205567[/snapback]​
Oh, the round edge on the bottom part of the dome flaps (or whatever they're called) definitely doesn't look right. As far as I remember the flaps basically goes fairly straight down and then almost makes a sharp 80 degree bend at the bottom...

I'll see if I can find a picture to illustrate my point, if it is in any way unclear...

Though, the center stripe detail has definitely been improved.

I'm not sure why I missed this thread, I normally zoom in on Vader threads.

Damn, Mate, you've done a great job... :thumbsup I do agree about the helmet "flaps" though, but other than that it's VERY impressive, well done :)

Cheers,

Kraig

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back