Show me your Jedi training remotes!

Brothervader

One of my favorite props has always been the Jedi training remote. I still remember as a child, getting upset at that mean little floating ball that kept zapping my favorite Star Wars character!

I'm definitely looking forward to adding a Jedi training remote to my prop collection. I know that Trooper Trent's kit is the best of the best. I was wondering if there were any other options out there?

If any of you have a Jedi training remote as part of your prop collection, would you mind posting pics and letting me know who the maker is, or where you acquired your kit.

Thanks so much everyone!

Here's mine. Scratch built, some cast parts, most are from original donor kits.

IMG_7349_small.jpg

IMG_7350_small.jpg

IMG_7351_small.jpg

Compared to the screen-used model (mine is top left, bottom middle, and top right):

remote_comp_01.jpg

Dan

That’s very kind of you but I would definitely not say that mine are the best. Mine just have the gimmick of floating and lighting up. Maybe some extra points for the tutorial videos, and being cheaper than the MR. But mine use resin 3D printed parts, not real model pieces so no matter how close I get the models it’ll never be as accurate as a vintage model kit with real plastruct hemispheres.
427E9EBF-2A48-4815-BF87-CF3E2DE183DE.png

Last edited:
Trent, you are definitely being humble when you don’t need to be. I did your kit and I have to say it doesn’t matter if they aren’t the “original” parts, your modeling and printing are just as good and I don’t think anyone would know the difference.

I loved making the kit and it sits under our tv in the living room so I can watch it every single day. My wife loves it just as much.

This IS the kit to get.

Not to hurt anyones feelings, but on that pic his cupola looks significant bigger/bulkier compared to the other parts and their arrangement.

Sure, on display with enough distance noone would notice.

Yeah you're not going to hurt my feelings at all. I've long since updated that part to be correctly sized. It was a combination of the size of ball I use that has the magnets and lights for my kit to float, and a combination of camera distance and zoom. I struggled with proportions on it for months while modeling the pieces. I would print one, take a pic, to an overlay, compare size, adjust my file, rinse and repeat many times. In one shot the cupolas look too small, and in another shot they look too big. And this is with the same replica compared to the same screen used prop. It's just one of those crazy things I tried to get as close as I could. It's the difference of less than 1mm.

Last edited:
As mentioned - i see it in those direkt comparision.

I don´t think i would notice that in the wild when looking on one floating on display.

Very nice! Excellent job. Can I ask where you got your model parts from? I see some differences in the cupolas and tank hatches from the original models that I haven't seen before from various versions of the kits. What color did you end up using for the red rings if you don't mind me asking?

The kit parts were bought off of Etsy. It didn't come with the hemispheres. The "C" rings seemed too small in the kit so I printed them of in PLA.
The red rings are Vallejo 71.105 Brown. If I would build this today, I would probably download most of the parts off of Thingiverse and create some of my own. The panels are styrene and I just curved them by hand. Almost all of the resin 'pins' broke off, so I drilled out and replaced them with brass rod.

***Edit...The chrome rims were taken from a couple of 1/25 AMT kits.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
I'm surprised there aren't more resin kits available these days. From what I've seen, the only kits available are Trent's, and 3D print files. Am I wrong?

As mentioned - i see it in those direkt comparision.

I don´t think i would notice that in the wild when looking on one floating on display.
It's also an older picture. I have updated the proportions since then, I just never took a new comparison photo. Here's an example of the same replica compared to the same screen used prop from a different distance and my cupolas look smaller.
1604248629625.png

Last edited:
I'm surprised there aren't more resin kits available these days. From what I've seen, the only kits available are Trent's, and 3D print files. Am I wrong?
I see people offering resin castings of the parts every once in a while.
The problem with that is that the parts are injection molded so pieces like the chrome truck wheels and cupolas with inner walls aren't conducive to dump molds.

gotcha, yeah that's the same as the very first pic. They look too small in the top photo and too big in the bottom photo. It's crazy. Believe me that had me flustered for days trying to get it right.
Sometimes the confusion could be created by the distortion from the camera lens, but a lot of it is how the brain perceives the info from the eyes.
I took a short course on Colour Theory. Another interesting snippet is that humans can't remember a shade of colour. I personally saw this proven when my wife bought a pair of shoes that "exactly" matched her dress. :lol:

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back