Suggestion Should we have a 3d Printer forum here?

I could see us doing this at some point in the future, but as Rylo pointed out, we have never focused on HOW a prop/costume is created, but on the type of item.

In the most basic terms, the site is broken into 3 major categories; props, costumes and models and within those categories, it is further divided. The Sculpting forum is the closest we have ever come to focusing on a particular aspect of how something is created. Just don't see it happening yet with 3D printing, although I am in complete agreement that 3D printing is the future of our hobby.
First, I'm glad to see that 3D-printing is getting more attention on the forum than it was 1-2 years ago. And I DO think that affordable hobbyist 3D-printing is getting better all the time.

I initially multi-quoted several users and realized that I shouldn't beat that horse and left Art's as it leads up to my thought well. We already have tags to group threads based on the subject of the prop; what if we just added tags for the medium being used? I mean I don't want to go tag crazy, but if I wanted to just see props (or questions) that were 3D-printing related (or CNC related, etc.) then all I'd have to do is search for the tag.
Also I think it would be awesome if there were an attribute in a members profile where they could list resources. i.e. I have a 3D-printer, a lathe, a vacuum form, etc. I don't actually have all of those things but... I know that it has the potential to leave a lot of older members (with more resources) open to pestering from members with fewer resources, but if that is your concern, don't list the tools you don't want to; or list a price per hour in your comments or about section. This would allow members to collaborate more IMO as you could search for member near you with resources you could share/trade/pay-for. Just a thought. Also I started a thread for people to list what 3D-printers if anyone is open to the idea of owning up to having a 3D-printer in a thread that would be a little more searchable as a resource.
It might go without saying at this point, but I also second (or 1.2.3.. fourth?) the motion to have a 3D file/printing area similar to the paper section.

I think a 3d file forum would be good, I only use CNC and laser, 3d printers are really no good at this stage, anything affordable gives pretty bad prints or cost too much to run.

Rylo is right, it's an overplayed buzzword, now dont get me wrong, they are ok for some things but people believe they are more capable than they actually are :)

Really? Bad prints? Not trying to start a war, but the quality coming out of the latest home/semi-pro printers are amazing. I'd be glad to share some pics to help you change your mind a bit.

TJSOA, I think some of your ideas have merit but on a separate subforum my 2c is that the point about paper props isn't that they're made from paper, it's that they're replicas of props which *are paper in their original form*. You've got to work in that medium if you want to be accurate and it clearly qualifies as a separate world in its own right. By contrast, a 3D printer can hypothetically replicate anything, so you'd have a bucket forum where the content would be absolutely anything under the sun without any kind of rhyme or reason. It'd rapidly need its OWN subfora! :)

Last edited:
I would prefer a 3D printing FAQ post stickied at the top, or an "ASK YOUR 3D PRINTER QUESTIONS HERE" thread, over a dedicated forum...

I think it might be a good idea to have a tools forum. You could have dedicated threads to CNC, 3D printers, airbrushes, etc.

Just my two cents.

Sean

Face it guys, 3 d printing is here and it's only gonna get cheaper, better quality, and more available.
Who knows what's next? Metal?
Anyway, a focus area for these machines would be handy.
I'm looking at hem just now and trolling for info and recommends.
An area where we could share advice and indeed files, would be good .... IMHO

the point about paper props isn't that they're made from paper, it's that they're replicas of props which *are paper in their original form*. You've got to work in that medium if you want to be accurate and it clearly qualifies as a separate world in its own right. By contrast, a 3D printer can hypothetically replicate anything, so you'd have a bucket forum where the content would be absolutely anything under the sun without any kind of rhyme or reason. It'd rapidly need its OWN subfora! :)

Great point. Perhaps then, just the "production methods" area of tags, where you can tag a post "3D printing" or "wax cast" etc. I was about to reply that we have a section for downloadables, but that seems pointless since we already share plenty of content on the forum primarily using the appropriate external site and links. So if, per se, you had a 3D printer and wanted to scour the forum for builds others had done, you could just filter using the 3D Printing tag and check out the threads individually. Though I would really like to see more people hosting/sharing their files. I get that the majority of the work goes into building the model, and then once you've done that it can be hard to simply let them go, but I really think that 3D printing has the potential to bring about some of the most epic group builds. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back