Should I Use Liquid Latex For My Mask After I Made A Sculpt?

Predator6661

hi everyone^^

my question is: is liquid latex a good idea to make a predator face? and is it strong enough to putt dreads on?

thnx
greetings
predator666

ps: maybe i'm gonna start in august to make my mask first ^^ we will see XD i'm a little bit nervous because this will be my first time to make a sculpt and using latex :s:s fingers crossed XD

90% of masks are latex and no probs with dreads.But you will have to mould your sculpt and use it to make the mask.

is Latex same with RTV585? because here in the philippines, we dont have latex rubber, but rather RTV585 (silicon rubber), please help...would also want to make a predator head...

You can do the same mould process and make mask and skins with silicone.But would need to use different paint.

RTV585 is a mold making silicone made in china ..it is NOT what you would use for a silicone casting for a mask or skins

oh darn, double darn...how am i supposed to make a mask...anyway, im gonna start first with the head sculpt...guys, is it ok if im goin to use a home made polymer clay in making a head sculpt...please help again...

PT is right, safety first. There are some things in tin silicone you do not want on your skin for long periods of time. If you want to use silicone, there a fair few platinum silicone products you could use. I know Mouldlife in the UK stocks Platsil Gel 10. Latex is more cost effective usually. Your local casting supply or effects supply house should have slip casting latex, brand does not matter. That would work just perfect.

As for sculpting in polymer clay, it might be best to use an oil/wax based clay, like Chavant, or Monster. The reason for this is that they are often easier to clean out of molds. If you make a rigid mold, out of stone/plaster, or even resin, the heat from the cure will usually cure the polymer clay, leaving it rigid.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back