Should I contact the moderators?

dannylopuz

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone, I approached a 3d modeler months ago to partner up by me paying a portion and a percentage of every Marvel related piece I'd make from his 3d file, and then proceeded to send him several images as they were releasing them online after he agreed. He'd always say that he was busy with stuff when I asked him about progress, so I was very surprised right now when I found a thread where he's selling that piece, presumably made with the help of my research.

I was wondering if I should contact the moderators since at the end of the day no money was involved, but it's more of the sense of honor that we have once we do some research and find a particular piece we think will be of the community's interest, do more research to get the pics from all the angles and then your partner taking that and using it for their profit. It might just be me but one of my leather pieces couldn't have been made without the footage that a fellow member posted for everyone to see, so when he was interested on buying it I made sure he had a discount as a way of saying thanks, even if it was something he made public for everyone and not just for me, because I believe we're a community and we should give credit where credit is due.

Anyway, I just wanted to know your opinions on the matter. I don't know if this is the right place to put it, but it was a Marvel piece and usually the recasting warning threads and similar topics are posted here. I know I'm being vague, but if I'm wrong and the modeler had every right to put it, I wouldn't want to give any bad rep to him or his work.

contacting the mods may get some sympathy, but there is little they can do.

This is not the first time this subject has come up. It is a pretty common thing. The only thing that you can do in the future, is to have a written 'Non-Disclosure agreement' and even that, you would have to go to court and sue to reclaim damages.

in the future, don't share things that you don't want shared. Sorry, I don't have a better answer.

Who is the modeler and what is the piece, if you don't mind me asking?

As I specify on the post, I rather not say. I can say however that I've read his whole thread and his clients are pretty mad because he's always coming up with excuses for not having one done yet bumping the thread at every chance he has.

contacting the mods may get some sympathy, but there is little they can do.

This is not the first time this subject has come up. It is a pretty common thing. The only thing that you can do in the future, is to have a written 'Non-Disclosure agreement' and even that, you would have to go to court and sue to reclaim damages.

in the future, don't share things that you don't want shared. Sorry, I don't have a better answer.

Ya, I'm not angry or looking for justice or compensation, I just think this kind of things shouldn't happen in our community

I think I know who you are talking about. I'm new here, with no established reputation, so take this for what it's worth. Aside from pursuing legal actions I'm not sure what the mods can do besides deleting his thread. Have you addressed the issue directly with him? And by that I mean did you directly ask him if what he is selling is a result of any of the research you provided? I only ask because you said, "presumably made with the help of my research." Was it ever addressed that he was not allowed to sell this product to anyone else?

I'm trying to offer you a fair and unbiased opinion, since I don't know either of you. Realistically you have limited options. What he is doing is in extremely poor taste, however it appears that morality in this day and age is about as common as common sense, there's nothing legally stopping him from doing this. I'd love to say that karma will catch up to him, but I'm a realist and not an idealist. I wish you the best of luck.

Cut your losses on the deal and learn from it. This was an agreement (written or not) between you and the individual, and it obviously collapsed. Mods, for lack of a better way to put it, aren't going to throw too much effort at something like this, because it's just a couple of people with a personal agreement that didn't work out, no matter who's fault. Going to court and anything like that is also a complete waste of time over something like this, you would be inviting more trouble than you want (and you would never get anywhere with it even if we weren't dealing with studio- and otherwise- owned properties).
Now, having said that, I have been in the same place as you. And I was also upset (to say the last). And I also wanted to do A LOT of stuff to both get what I thought I deserved, and also make the other person miserable. But in the end, I took the high road and walked away. It's not worth the headaches or the frustration, and in the end he knows what he's done and how you feel, you know, and other people know, whether you leave a name or not. This is not a community that takes burning bridges lightly, and it's safe to say we don't forget either. Good on you as well for not posting his member name or too many details (I wanted to the first time I went through this situation), I can appreciate that integrity. It wouldn't be difficult to figure out anyways (heck, I know who it is.)

So yep, just move on, never do business with him again unless he does what is necessary to earn your respect back, and if someone happens to ask you what you think of his ethics down the road, don't pull any punches. He should count himself lucky that you haven't already put him on blast publicly, but instead took the high road. Maybe he'll learn something from that, too. Just my two cents.

Thank you so much for your answers, and yes, I'm not looking to get anything back, I'm not looking to take this to court (I'm not even located in the States), I'm not even looking for sympathy, I'm just very dissapointed of his behavior and if I asked if I should contact the moderators is not because I want to make his life miserable, it's more because, since it's a gray area, I don't know if this is something that they should know for the sake of our community or if I would just be wasting their time that they could be using making our community better in another way.

So you see its not that I'm looking for revenge or justice, it's just that I wasn't sure if this was something that could be my obligation as part of our community to inform them, just like we would inform about recasters: we inform about those injustices not because we want compensation, but because we know that that behavior isn't allowed here.

This one I wasn't so sure but now I see that it's permissible. I'll still try to partner up with other members if I see a good opportunity to do so and I won't use any written agreement. I believe that there are people who will do the job and, if they do this again, then I'll be grateful that our partnership didn't go anywhere, because they are not the people who I want to be partners with, and I believe you'll be able to spot those people without me having to point them out. They, as this particular person with this project, won't go a long way in their projects or in our community.

Thanks again guys.

With what you said before about him making excuses as to not having made one, he might just be digging his own hole and might not be around for too long.

The mods may not be able to do much about the situation, but you could always try to find another modeller and offer the item before he has a chance to get his up and possibly at a lower cost while keeping the quality high.

"Fooled once..." The matter should always be discussed with the parties involved before going to the Mods...that said, now you know you will not get into deal/business with this member again! Time to re-group and stand back and, as other said, he might not be here for long with that type of behaviour:behave

The only thing you COULD do is call him out and mention his thread. You would just need to ensure that simply stated the facts as they occurred and your concerns with how the situation sits presently. I like to know what type of person I'm buying from, and I'm sure other feels the same. But there's always the possibility that it could devolve into a nasty online he said-he-said situation that will just drain you. You'll have to decide if it's worth it.

The only thing you COULD do is call him out and mention his thread. You would just need to ensure that simply stated the facts as they occurred and your concerns with how the situation sits presently. I like to know what type of person I'm buying from, and I'm sure other feels the same. But there's always the possibility that it could devolve into a nasty online he said-he-said situation that will just drain you. You'll have to decide if it's worth it.
Yeah, I don't think it's worth it, next time I'll just use a different modeler. It's a shame tho, I was looking forward to do lots of stuff with him. Thank God I found out what kind of person he was before money was involved.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back