SHOT show 2017 bit on Mal's pistol

The guy talking seens kinda off, studios rarely use real guns just to fire blanks on set. You can get in major trouble for doing just that actually, which is why prop guns are used way more often so far as I have seen working. Hell a lot of times rubber guns are used more often in wide shots as well as the close ups when action is in frame with the gun so nobody gets injured handling it. I would say it's pretty rare to see a 'real gun' on set actually, especially one that fires at all. Sorry for the random rant haha, misinformation is never wanted especially when it comes to guns.

The guy talking seens kinda off, studios rarely use real guns just to fire blanks on set. You can get in major trouble for doing just that actually, which is why prop guns are used way more often so far as I have seen working. Hell a lot of times rubber guns are used more often in wide shots as well as the close ups when action is in frame with the gun so nobody gets injured handling it. I would say it's pretty rare to see a 'real gun' on set actually, especially one that fires at all. Sorry for the random rant haha, misinformation is never wanted especially when it comes to guns.

This is an actual Taurus 85 inside Mal's pistol that they did indeed use blanks. There are plenty of pictures to prove this. This prop was built at least 14 years ago

This is an actual Taurus 85 inside Mal's pistol that they did indeed use blanks. There are plenty of pictures to prove this. This prop was built at least 14 years ago

Yeah totally I get that, I'm just saying in general that is not the case on set for movies and TV. This is an exception not the majority for prop guns.

Yeah totally I get that, I'm just saying in general that is not the case on set for movies and TV. This is an exception not the majority for prop guns.

There has been a spike in airsoft guns used lately, especially with the new Star Wars movies. It makes total sense from a safety aspect.

Yeah exactly! Way easier to modify and safer in every aspect, as well as making it easier for the production to function without needing to decommission real weapons and verify all the paperwork and all that. Airsoft weapons look the part without being anywhere near as much of a danger or hassle on the production, often cuts cost too which is always a nice bonus haha.

This is another case of not giving proper credit to the prop maker where credit is due. The original maker of the Mal pistols was Applied Effects and they did so in record time. When the Firefly tv series was cancelled both hero live fire Mal pistols stayed with one person who will remain nameless. When the film Serenity got the green light and the original live fire pistols couldnt be located both new designs were created and an all new version of a pistol for Mal was in the early stages of being produced to closely match the originals as possible. The barrel and a rough outline of the new Mal gun was on a work bench when the original two live fire pistols literally walked in the door. Both were sold to ISS for an extremely low dollar amount. As a back up if the new pistol didnt pan out the Mateba auto revolver was to be Mal's new gun but that ended up as Wash's pistol.
What ISS/SAT did was completely tear down and rebuild both the original Applied Effects created live fire pistols, modified them off the new designs, added a faux safety for a cut scene where the pistol jams and the top slides back to eject a round, added a new side plate cover that hid a newly cut slot to help vent the internal Taurus revolver, changed the thumb screws from a two part press fit to a one piece design, fabricated a new magazine with dummy rounds inside for a cut scene where Mal reloads the pistol (later in filming a set screw was added to the side to secure the magazine so it wouldnt fall out as seen in the blooper reel), and as prior mentioned completely rebuilt both pistols taking them from clanking to battle worthy.
The finish ended up much more brass like due to improper methods in the moulding process. The live fire pistol used for the mould wasnt sealed so much of the original finish and patina was removed by the silicone. The other live fire hero was then made to match.

Its a shame when stories get convoluted over time where credit is claimed and not given. There were some of the most talented fabrication people in the world at SAT and the weapons room at ISS ten years ago. Ive no idea where they are now. Maybe still there, maybe moved on.

I knew Rob was going to chime in! That's crazy, I never knew that Wash's Mateba was originally suppose to be Mal's new pistol!

Larry Zanoff always makes me laugh when he explains working on a film to gun people. I've seen it a few times now, and there always seem to be some edge to it. He sounds like he's trying to explain algebra to a toddler. There is absolutely a division there, so I understand why he does it. I have seen very knowledgable gun people completely flummoxed by the way a gun is designed for a film.

The Vaquero/Lemat hybrid is pretty damn cool. I like to think I'd of recognized that on camera though. I'm usually pretty eagle eyed about those kinds of tricks. Now I gotta' go back and watch for it.

I knew Rob was going to chime in! That's crazy, I never knew that Wash's Mateba was originally suppose to be Mal's new pistol!

There was also an unproduced design for the Operatives pistol that was reminiscent of the Beretta from Blade 2.

These were the Reaver guns, off the shelf rentals that were quickly repainted. Its obvious why they were never seen on camera.
4ln34p.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back