Short Circuit Their Recording Systems - Building a Restraining Bolt

Was able to find another reasonably priced “for parts” Arriflex lens so built a 3PO version to go along with the R2.

9C5B6BE1-977C-4866-966B-9FBC8E99D5A6.jpeg

E87236B2-5816-443E-B8A0-D1D860E4FD54.jpeg

Build process obviously the same as the previous, only thing I did differently this time was to add back the silver piece in order to be able to thread the bolt.

4D4AA2CF-7921-4597-B7DA-6A13ADA6D8C0.jpeg

Had to remove the lens plate, which, as you can see is just threaded on. Simple, right? Not when your lens was clearly dropped like third period French. Took some convincing but eventually came off.

377121A3-83D6-4F27-B1CC-5E95E5839CD8.jpeg

Then after threading a few other pieces out you’re left with the metal part.

Next is to grab that black part with a pair of pliers again, twist, and hope for the best.

B142B28C-594D-4BCC-AD57-A3F4B2A8B6CA.jpeg

Throw those screws back in...

6A1256B1-D356-4EEE-B3D4-EC384BA4B59B.jpeg

Trim a carriage bolt, ended up being about an inch and a half.

96B976E0-DD40-4651-9D2C-82BD9A5C5095.jpeg

Voila!

9C642AAA-2D00-4BB0-B8C8-5377B9262521.jpeg

Love this prop.

In that shot of 3P0 above, it almost looks like a hex nut on the end of a bolt, rather than a round carriage bolt.

Like the head of the bolt/screw is on the backside.

In that shot of 3P0 above, it almost looks like a hex nut on the end of a bolt, rather than a round carriage bolt.

I was thinking the same thing, and really it makes more sense. Im sure Anthony Daniels would have much rather had the rounded end on the inside of the suit than the bolt and nut end.

You could totally be right Dann. I swapped out the 3/8” bolt for a 1/4” with washer and that definitely looks better, but yeah maybe I’ll try turning it around and see how it looks fully reversed.

F920C3FE-52EC-4E43-A435-AAA33C51BC6D.jpeg

So I tried with just flipping it around, so that the smooth part is underneath and bolt is outward facing, and with the line you see between the bolt and nut I don’t think it looks right. I swapped out the carriage bolt entirely for a hex head bolt I had lying around and I think this is closer. There’s might have been a shallower head than I have but I feel like this is closer to the look.

363B0D4A-D2A7-4E80-B224-60EE1FC61CBA.jpeg

30E56DB2-4D2C-4831-98E9-86571CBB4A31.jpeg

FWIW, I'm seeing a hex nut on the end of a threaded rod/bolt. Scratch that... I didn't account for the washers; so your pic above looks more correct.

I love that sandstone display near the top. B-e-a-u-tiful.

Thanks! It’s actually a piece of foam, covered in wood filler to give it texture and then spray painted. Was going for the Tatooine look for all my ANH props.

Would probably have been easier to just use a rock...

So I tried with just flipping it around, so that the smooth part is underneath and bolt is outward facing, and with the line you see between the bolt and nut I don’t think it looks right. I swapped out the carriage bolt entirely for a hex head bolt I had lying around and I think this is closer. There’s might have been a shallower head than I have but I feel like this is closer to the look.

View attachment 1054070

View attachment 1054071
Yeah, that looks like it could be correct, nice job!

Did you try running a 3/8" carriage bolt through, from the back, then adding a hex nut on the front, without any washers?

I will say, I like the LOOK of the smooth head carriage bolt better, but what you've done here does look more like the screen shot you posted.

Yeah, that looks like it could be correct, nice job!

Did you try running a 3/8" carriage bolt through, from the back, then adding a hex nut on the front, without any washers?

I will say, I like the LOOK of the smooth head carriage bolt better, but what you've done here does look more like the screen shot you posted.

I did it with the washers, didn’t take any photos though. The problem I had with that was the visible line between the bolt and the hex but, which I don’t see in the image.

Also, I totally agree that I prefer the way the rounded carriage bolt looks with the washer through the front, but my screen accuracy OCD won’t allow it!

Anyone think we might be looking at the rear element of the lens stuck in the middle and not a bolt at all? Looking at some other reference photos you can see it looks more like a round shape (i.e. not a hex bolt) with a distinct line around the edge, which could match the look of the rear element... Thoughts?
C-3PO restraining bolt 1.jpg Lens 1.jpg

Anyone think we might be looking at the rear element of the lens stuck in the middle and not a bolt at all? Looking at some other reference photos you can see it looks more like a round shape (i.e. not a hex bolt) with a distinct line around the edge, which could match the look of the rear element... Thoughts?
View attachment 1055444 View attachment 1055445

In that photo you’re totally right that it’s round, as opposed to any kind of hex end. I don’t know that I see the rear part of the lens, though. To my eye it definitely looks more like the carriage bolt that we originally suspected. Especially taken with some of the color photos, like above, where it has a full on, consistent silver reflection that you wouldn’t get from the rear part of the lens.

D65429CD-0896-489D-A42E-723FC219EE4E.jpeg

It will all come apart. You should be able to remove that ring with the silver buttons / tabs and that center larger silver section should twist out. I found this pic from when I did mine a while back.

357805A2-4B52-4EB3-ABFA-254235CE8632.jpeg

Ty for the picture.

I am now this far but have no idea how to remove the silver part.

F717D05A-4747-4D93-9726-85A916D3EDBC.jpeg94121969-14B1-4E72-B596-8F81A860CF57.jpeg084A9E4E-ADFC-42A9-BE40-2E4FFCE9A00D.jpeg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back