Shipping a real Webley question

Cobra14

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
If this is in the wrong place I apologize but I need to understand the laws regarding shipping a real Webley and Scott flare gun. I have the opportunity of possibly picking up a Webley that is located in Canada and I'm in Texas in the U.S. But I'm concerned with the what the laws are regarding importing this and getting it threw customs. My question I guess is it legal to ship this thing? Really want to build the best EE-3 I can build but want to do it legally as well. Lol

If someone can shed some light on this that be great.

Hmmm. I am in Texas as well so good to meet ya neighbor:). I wonder if they would say no because it's a working firearm. Maybe not. I wish someone would shed light on this as well. Good info to have

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

I'm in TX too and have had three real webleys. They are not a regulated item, and are not subject to FFL transfer. They're legal to ship regular post. At least IN the USA. From Canada, I'm not 100% sure, but from the firearms perspective it's not a weapon so much as a signaling device and in the USA not classified as a firearm.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the feedback guys, that makes sense what your saying after all it's just a flare gun not really a firearm that shoots rounds, been doing research and I can't find anything against it but not completely sure yet.

Sense is in the eye of the authoroties ....... well, sometimes. :lol

Here in Germany flareguns are in general treated like firearms, at least in regard to transport and deactivation .......

As it comes from Canada ........ your local rules might not fit for the whole transport. And sometimes items that are allowed in the 2 countries, are not allowed for transport by air, or to cross the borders, or .......

Customs can be a pain, look once all is fine, look next time and a item is seized and destroyed. Try to find someone who can give a real answer, and then hope for the best. Good luck.

@scottjua has it right. They are not legally firearms, but that doesn't mean people won't act like they are. Also, your state may treat them differently from the Feds. I've had a real Webley flare gun shipped to me from Canada without incident, but that that does not mean you will. Also, make sure the dealer is even willing to sell it to you. I know dealers who won;t even sell legit antiques in the USA because of potential hassles.... one shipped the wood and metal bits in separate boxes. YMMV

Thanks for the answers guys, really helps. From reading what I have in the ATF I believe this gun would classify under a military relic because of its age which means it would be legal to ship from Canada to U.S. also being that it is not a machine gun or weapon just a flare gun however the authorities may think otherwise. I'm going to try to get in touch with the right people to make sure before I put any money down on it. Because to buy it and then customs destroys it.........:facepalm Yikes.

But that also brings me to another doubt on wether it's legit or not I've heard horror stories with fraudulent sellers claiming to have a real Webley and it was just a scam. I contacted the seller last night and I'm still waiting on a response from him. Basically just asked some questions that would help me understand if this guy is legit or not.

If they can disassemble the item it will lessen the likelihood of the authorities to overreact to the item as a legit firearm.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back