sheet styrene question

Wes R

Legendary Member
I want to start buying stuff for some scratch building projects and was wondering what the best thicknesses would be to get and are used the most by you guys. I've bought some before but it was a bit too thin and sagged under its own weight.

I appreciate the help. Since i don't have a local hobby shop i'm going to just order straight from Evergreen as they had good service the last time.

I love evergreen, I tried using plastruct but always thought their products felt waxy.

I personally like the .080" thickness, it's a hair thicker than 1/16". However, it all depends on what you plan on building.

I figured i'd buy a couple packs of the most commonly used and go from there. I actually am hoping i can get some of stuff shaped out of wood and just cover it with styrene and detail that.

Hi Wes,
I tend to use the 1mm thickness as well, if you are going to do scratch builds though you will need a complete assortment of all thicknesses, I like to purchase sheets and also pre-cut strips and rods and/or tubing in both the squared and rounded versions. I also pull a lot of plastic out of the garbage... yogurt cups, plastic bottles, anything that might have the shape, curvature, or relief that I may need. You would be amazed how useful this can be.

Jason

Before you order from Evergreen, check the phone book for a local plastics supplier. you might be able to pick it up locally and get alot more and save on shipping. A 4x8 sheet of .040 for me is $35 Just a suggestion.

Al

I'll have to see what we have locally. I know i had no luck finding anywhere selling RTV but that's not a shock lol.

I like to purchase sheets and also pre-cut strips and rods and/or tubing in both the squared and rounded versions.

^this.

I have a lot of .060 and .080 sheets left over from armor building, so I mostly use that (just because I have it). But, it's always a good idea to collect a bit of everything so eventually you'll have enough scrap of all shapes, sizes and thicknesses to do any project.

Also, I dismantle old clocks, phones, electronic devices, etc. and keep them in a 'parts' box to use for greeblies and such.

I keep raiding Dollar General for these nice plastic pencil boxes that are 1.00 to hold parts in because they're made to stack on top of each other. So far i have 13 full of tools and small parts i'd otherwise lose.

i agree with IEDBOUNTYHUNTER .. im a plastic fabricator and talk to your local plastic sheet distributors .. those guys are way cheaper than hobby shops .. the sheets are bigger and they generally can supply any size you need and are a great place to garner info on what you can do, how to form it etc .. and also they have good ranges of other materials like tubes etc .. and can point you in the direction of shops who can vacform, blowmold, bend, glue etc for you

I always order though us plastic corp they sell it much cheaper (around $40 shipped for a 8' by 4' sheet) then evergreen/plastruct but i do notice the quality of evergreen/plastruct is much better over all

I agree, I would stay away from the hobby shops for the plain stuff. Going to a plastic dealer is a good way to go. A better way than that would be straight to the manufacturer. I picked up .040" 4'x8 sheets for $25.00 and change.

You could also hit hardware stores for 'for sale' signs and the like. They come in many different thicknesses and are the same stuff! I always buy my plasticsat our local hardware, and save a bundle.

Sign shops also use sheet styrene, so try talking to them. Another thing to know is that a distributor might have local delivery. For instance, there is a company in Fresno, which is a good hour drive for me, that delivers on Thursdays in my area. You can have any shop that deals in 4x8 sheets cut the sheet to whatever size you agree to and they can UPS it to you. I've had lots of stuff done that way.

Scott

You could also hit hardware stores for 'for sale' signs and the like. They come in many different thicknesses and are the same stuff! I always buy my plasticsat our local hardware, and save a bundle.

I wish i'd thought of this when my mom was working at lowe's, probably could have ordered them by the box at 10% above cost.

I hear that. I used to blow 9 bucks on a 4x10 sheet of Evergreen .40, then found it at a hardware store as a no parking sign, it was 12x17, .40, and 5 bucks. Hell, you pull open the masters of my Inday tank, and the interior reads "Hours of Operation!" :lol

lol. I think i'll stock up on those for now since they're cheap and then order some others as i can from evergreen, especially shapes. I miss the store my buddy worked at in Pittsburgh, which oddly enough George Romero used to go to, as they had styrene sheet and even clear acrylic in shapes. Now that's a hardware store.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back