Shazam / Captain Marvel

godfatherof4h

I was recently invited to a superhero themed costume party with my friend Logan. After too much time deciding what characters to be, we came up with Marvel's Thor for Logan and DC's Shazam/Captain Marvel for me! A.K.A.The Thunder Buddies!!!! I've made our halloween costumes out of things we had around the house for a few years now, but I want to make a quality costumes for us this time! This post will focus on my costume of DC's Shazam!

I always start with a concept design. For mine I'm going with a more New 52 universe Shazam with some detail changes
Shazam costume V2.jpg

Any and all idea's and comments are welcome and very much appreciated! I am very new to this and really want to do well. AND of course more to come soon! I have to get this costume done by feb 28th

Last edited:
Re: Shazam / Captain Marvel WIP

I would use EVA foam for the belt, bracers, gold boot cover design and cape medallions. White boots. Red muscle suit....not sure about the logo though.

You know what would look absolutely b.a on a Captain Marvel costume?

Make the chest bolt out of electroluminescent fabric like in this pic

glow.jpg

shazamlarge55.jpg
Here's a pic for ya, I always liked the way this one looks. Good luck on your build, I think the lights on the bolt if you can make it work would be Awesome!

I would love to see this come to fruition even if I'm not a DC Fan. I dont understand why post like this or other unique costume builds do not get the attention they deserve. To be honest is everyone getting a little tired of looking at Iron Man, Captain America, SpiderMan and Star Lord Builds. That seems to be all we ever see on here. In fact post that are over a year old keep getting resurrected and it baffles me when truly interesting builds like Groot get dismissed. Just my early morning rant, sorry.
Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the advice! I have been looking into ways of lighting up the bolt. I was gonna do a strips of LED lights around the edge and under the gold part of the bolt, but if I can figure out how to make the electric fabric work, I'll probably do that instead! I'll be updating the construction soon! Right now I am focused on getting my friend's Thor costume done with by the end of the week. To keep the thread goin' here are some updates picture of his Thor: The Dark World "inspired" piece haha
10950165_10205822340456997_1151557648_n.jpg
I don't know how to sew for the life of me. His chest is plate is paper forms with clothe stretched over and hot glued on the back, then I cut away the exposed paper in the back.

10950165_10205822340456997_1151557648_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

today I did a test piece with the bracers. I used EVA foam. I have some alginate casting material, so I may cast my forearms and sculpt the bracers and cast them in resin. I don't think if I did that, I'd have enough time to finish them.
10965941_10205834005388613_263861031_n.jpg 10965687_10205834005748622_461824560_n.jpg 10959279_10205834003668570_736825765_n.jpg 10965696_10205834004428589_393548806_n.jpg

I really like these boots. Im assuming your going to paint the areas covered by a sock, red like in the picture above?

One suggestion, if it were me, I would paint that area with brush on plastidip before painting it red.Not only will it make it
waterproof in case you have inclement weather(it happens) but it will also make the color pop more. When Ive used white
in costumes covered by red, it has a tendency to wash it out and make it look pink unless I apply numerous coats.

Great job so far and cant wait to see more.

Last edited:

Hey I was just looking for a thread like this because i want to make a shazam costume as well.
Great work on those boots!
I just want to ask how will you be doing the main body? just a red morphsuit?
shazam.png
I will be following this design and I was thinking maybe red leather would serve me well. Any thoughts?

Hey I was just looking for a thread like this because i want to make a shazam costume as well.
Great work on those boots!
I just want to ask how will you be doing the main body? just a red morphsuit?
View attachment 436324
I will be following this design and I was thinking maybe red leather would serve me well. Any thoughts?

THE MORE SHAZAMS THE MERRIER!! :D

Because I have a very short time frame I'm going to be using red Under Amour heatgear for my body, but I will be lightly airbrushing it to add definition.

In my small town leather can get expensive, so I would use paper cutouts with red fabric stretched over the top and hot glued in the back. (I also use a lot of hot glue don't know how to sew, but thats a different convo haha)

Are you going with a morph suit with leather shapes over it? if so, to get the look of the electricity running under the surface, I would look into EL wire. It's not LED light, but chemically treated parachord, so your mobility won't be as hindered. http://www.adafruit.com/products/545

Can you provide links for the UA heatgear you will be using? Don't know what airbrushing is will be looking into it thanks.

Yeah I considered the cost after posting, maybe leather imitation or something but not shiny finish more like a Samsung S4 back if you know.

I was thinking morphsuit but already owning one I know how it feels and looks, I'm not confident I will be satisfied with it plus I'm not sure how sewing it won't just destroy it
Are you godsent?! I would never find such wire on my own! THANKS A TON! I would propably use simple thin metal wire with aqua metallic paint, I'll try this one first since it is significantly cheaper but I will keep that site bookmarked.

Keep posting images I want to see your suit, and any work with EVA foam that you do!

Anyway to send me the pattern for the boots I did a Black adam costume came out great except I want to upgrade the boots not completely happy with them and or more pics of the boot from the side and make and are the pieces one solid piece or multiple pieces? thx

I've been working on the belt this week! Because of my choice of gold paint, I thought the regular New 52 belt, would look too dull. So I decided to incorporate elements from the Injustice belt.
3958636-20130707-121758.jpg

I used Eva foam and hot glue. I tested the my gold color on the belt buckle, I still need to smooth out the top.
11004817_10205947783072984_256823109_n.jpg 11004769_10205947777352841_1775250729_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Can you provide links for the UA heatgear you will be using? Don't know what airbrushing is will be looking into it thanks.

Yeah I considered the cost after posting, maybe leather imitation or something but not shiny finish more like a Samsung S4 back if you know.

I was thinking morphsuit but already owning one I know how it feels and looks, I'm not confident I will be satisfied with it plus I'm not sure how sewing it won't just destroy it
Are you godsent?! I would never find such wire on my own! THANKS A TON! I would propably use simple thin metal wire with aqua metallic paint, I'll try this one first since it is significantly cheaper but I will keep that site bookmarked.

Keep posting images I want to see your suit, and any work with EVA foam that you do!

When I find the heatgear I'm using I'll send you the link! :)

Anyway to send me the pattern for the boots I did a Black adam costume came out great except I want to upgrade the boots not completely happy with them and or more pics of the boot from the side and make and are the pieces one solid piece or multiple pieces? thx

I looked at your Black Adam costume, holy crap thats awesome man! My templates where on one time use scratch paper, sorry about that. But I can tell you they where multiple strip like pieces of eva foam, hot glued to an old sketchers boot. I also cut away the foam, revealing the sipper down the side so the boot is easier to take on and off. Here are some more pictures, I still need to a final paint touch up on the boots.

10956678_10205948106801077_657787390_n.jpg 11006199_10205948109601147_1827297746_n.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back