Limited Run Shawshank Redemption - Andy's Chess Pieces

ssdesigner

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This project started by using these hi-res screen caps to get the size, shape and scale for Andy's chess pieces:

Shawshank-chess-pieces_2.jpgShawshank-chess-pieces_3.jpgShawshank-chess-pieces_4.jpg

Next I had a 3D modeler create stl files for me so that I could have the pieces printed:

0929-render-a.jpg1003-chess-assembly.jpg1004-sidebyside-2.jpg

Here are the finished 3D printed pieces:

IMG_20141104_183325.jpgIMG_20141104_183402.jpgIMG_20141104_183337.jpgIMG_20141104_183630.jpg

Ok, so the plan is to cast these pieces as they are and sell them as a set that would need to be weathered and finished. These are printed pieces, so they will take a bit of clean up. That said, they are also supposed to look hand-carved, so it's not going to be precise finish work that we are talking about here. If I can get a total of (5) people to commit to a set the cost per set (a full set includes ALL pieces to make an alabaster and soapstone full chess set) will be $175.00 + shipping.

Post here if you are interested.

As always, if you sign up here I am considering your post a commitment to purchase.

Any comments or suggestions welcome!

1) EmmaInCandyland
2) center68
3) Nidgit
4)
5)

-Ss

Shawshank-chess-pieces_2.jpg

Shawshank-chess-pieces_3.jpg

Shawshank-chess-pieces_4.jpg

0929-render-a.jpg

1003-chess-assembly.jpg

1004-sidebyside-2.jpg

IMG_20141104_183325.jpg

IMG_20141104_183337.jpg

IMG_20141104_183402.jpg

IMG_20141104_183630.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say a "set" are you talking just those 6 pieces shown in the picture, or are we talking a full set to fill a whole chess board...both sides?

Let me add that I plan to purchase steel buck shot for my own set of pieces. I'll be drilling out my own pieces and filling them with steel bb's and epoxy to add weight. I'll include enough to fill pieces for everyone that wants to drill theirs out and do this as well.

-Ss

Sorry for the delayed response on these; I ran out of silicone 1/2 way through this project and then other projects bumped ahead of this one. That said, with only a few people wanting a set I'm afraid that the price of these sets is going to need to increase. Silicone costs are a bit crazy and I'm hoping to be able to get by making only (1) mold for casting all the pawn pieces. I still have (3) pieces to mold yet, but I've begun casting. First pieces are coming out pretty nice. A few bubbles in the early pulls but the resin (and my technique) are getting better as I go:

IMG_2770a.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool project.
Last post was on 8/23/2015.
I am just wondering whatever happened with the project.
Can I still purchase a set of 32 replica Shawshank chess pieces ?

Thanks

Very cool project.
Last post was on 8/23/2015.
I am just wondering whatever happened with the project.
Can I still purchase a set of 32 replica Shawshank chess pieces ?

Thanks

I have most of a full set cast up and ready to ship. I'll need to check and see exactly what I have tomorrow when I'm back in the shop. Price will be $200 plus $20 shipping/paypal fees inside the US. If outside the US let me know where and I'll get a price.

Paypal is: ssdesigner71@gmail.com

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back