Shawshank Redemption Andy's Bible

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've wanted a screen-accurate version of the Bible used by Andy in Shawshank Redemption to hide his rock hammer.

First, a caveat, I know there's some folks here that have way more experience with the details of this prop. So it's possible everything I'm saying here is old knowledge. Second Caveat, Some people might be triggered by me cutting up the Word of God. I am at peace with my Maker about this.

I scored this Bible on eBay. It arrived new, still in the original box. It is a 1944 National Bible Press Bible, Philadelphia King James Edition. No red type. The only difference that I can tell between mine and the screen-used is mine has gold on the page edges. I know the screen-used has no edge gilding. But, I'm willing to live with that.

One thing I really wanted to get right is the shape and size of the cutout. I found this website where the screen-used Bible is being repaired.
The Restoration of The Shaw Shank Redemption Bible - Todd Gunter Art Restoration

It has a great head-on photo of the open Bible (see below). This gave me an extremely clear view of the cutout on the Exodus page. Using tracing paper over my Exodus page, I drew the shape of the cutout by matching where the cut on the screen-used Bible intersects with each letters in the copy below. This gave me an EXACT size and shape that correlates to the screen-used prop.

I used this shape to make a cutting template from 2mm HDPE sheet. To cut the pages, I placed a second piece of HDPE under 8-10 pages, and the template on top. Then I cut through only the 8-10 pages without damaging other pages. It took about an hour to work my way down to Page 763 – The exact page the screen used Bible stops at (I was able to identify the page from the pics on the restoration website as well)

I plan on replicating the note from Andy to the Warden on the opening page. And, I plan to make a rock hammer to fit. Probably cold cast resin. Stay tuned.

screenused.jpg
IMG_4958.jpeg
IMG_4959.jpeg
s-l1600.jpg
IMG_4964.jpeg
IMG_4966.jpeg
IMG_4967.jpeg
IMG_4972.jpeg
IMG_4970.jpeg

Last edited:
Digging in on the hammer today. ... After seeing there's at least two different "screen-used" hammers I remembered I need one to fit the cutout in my Bible :) ... Interesting that we never saw one in place. I'm going for form over function for mine. Styrene "metal" part and wood grips.
MToW2n1WSCiD0gH1aF9HVg.jpg
SWqgYUzmSkmlmhNQ9kEUlg.jpg
bKSju8ANSj+%8LDr+G2zcQ.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, that I screwed up. I tried several pens to try to match the look, finally settling on a felt tip because it gave me the most control. I first printed out the inscription from a screen grab, placed it under the top sheet and use a light box to trace it. It looked awful. I then felt terrible for about 4 hours. Finally, I cut the end papers out of the back of an old dictionary that had similar color aged paper. I took the photo of the read transcription and cleaned it up in Photoshop, printed it out on my vintage dictionary paper, and glued the page into the Bible. You might notice that page does not have the red edge coloring. Shhhhhh. No telling.

Okay, that I screwed up. I tried several pens to try to match the look, finally settling on a felt tip because it gave me the most control. I first printed out the inscription from a screen grab, placed it under the top sheet and use a light box to trace it. It looked awful. I then felt terrible for about 4 hours. Finally, I cut the end papers out of the back of an old dictionary that had similar color aged paper. I took the photo of the read transcription and cleaned it up in Photoshop, printed it out on my vintage dictionary paper, and glued the page into the Bible. You might notice that page does not have the red edge coloring. Shhhhhh. No telling.

Great idea! I won't tell, promise. Any chance that you'd be willing to share the psd? If not, I understand. If so: ssdesigner71@gmail.com

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back