Sharkman dunghead iron man helmet

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Dan3088, May 6, 2012.

1. Dan3088

Dan3088 Active Member

Right first off I'm a noob around here so hi every one. I apologise if the iron man thing has been done to death or this is a standard noob post. Anyway I did the sharkman pepekura ironman helmet and now it's finished the face plate dosnt match up with the helmet it is perfectly matched until it gets to one of the joins then there is a half centimetre gap. What went wrong what did I do or didn't do to cause this or is this just the design?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can I fix this in the bondo or fibre glass stage? Any help appreciated

2. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Could have been caused by warping/distortion from the resin, but it is an easy fix. When you start with the filler, just fill in the gap and work it out that way

3. Allfate

Allfate Active Member

There is a 2 part putty resin I use called Magic Sculpt that would work for this also... Bondo can be tough to work with b/c of the consistency (too soft) to make easy build ups like what your looking to do.

4. Fierfek

Fierfek Sr Member

Even better, use some metal clamps and a heat gun to fix alignment issues before filling. It worked for my Iron man helmet when I had a similar issue.

5. longlenium

longlenium New Member

it took me 3 layers of bondo and sanding to fixing my gaps probelm as well. my gaps os getting better but still need 1 more layer to get the prefect gaps. sooo 4 layer will do the job

6. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, here's your problem:

[​IMG]

The numbers don't match up. The black lines are the seam, the red ones are the center of the tabs. Those red lines should match up exactly. When the helmet is un-resined paper, it's easy to manipulate and bend it into shape in order to make things fit. Resin and fiberglass have a way of forcing the issue.

While you can use Apoxie Sculpt or Magic Sculpt to fill that gap, I would be more worried that the entire helmet is slightly twisted and lopsided now because that seam is off. If it pushed the edge away from the faceplate by a centimeter, just a few inches away from the misaligned seam, imagine what it's done to other areas that aren't so close/obvious.

I know it's probably now what you want to hear, but I would start from scratch. Otherwise you are just making MUCH more work for yourself in the later (and harder) stages of the build to get it all to look uniform.

-Nick

7. Dan3088

Dan3088 Active Member

Well Definetly not what I wanted to hear starting from scratch would help but I'm using this as a learning piece. I never expected perfection first time out. Thank you for all the replays it is much appreciated. Fortunately or unfortunately both sides of the helmet have this problem to an almost uniform extent so it looks symmetrically wrong lol

8. venator

venator Member

Without seeing it from different angles, I'd say that if it's symmetrical then it might be worth using filler, you'll need to cut the faceplate off afterwards but it'll fit flush

9. Dan3088

Dan3088 Active Member

I was thinking that I could stretch the fibre glass cloth across the gap so when it's hard I will fill and cut it out and hopefully it will look ok

10. venator

venator Member

Well if you have a heat gun you might be able to realign the bits that are off, was it hit glue that you used?

You probably don't want to fibreglass on the outside of the helm, that's all

11. Dan3088

Dan3088 Active Member

Got a heat gun gonna try that. Why shouldn't I fibreglass the out side?

12. Raithan

Raithan New Member

You want to Resin the outside only. If you use Fiberglass cloth or mat on the outside you will lose all of your detail. You would only want to glass the Inside. If you want to use something to hold it in place i possibly superglue and then maybe another coat of resin on the outside to help lock it together then fiberglass the inside.

The pros may have another answer. I am very new at this. All the threads i have read never Glass the outside. At least on Ironman Lids.

13. bignatedegg56

bignatedegg56 Active Member

i did something similar tbh, has made everything slightly squiffy but I'm using this as a test piece now, making sure i make any mistakes on this rather than the next one!
    though i have scrapped the fibreglass and filler option in favour of jumping straight to paint cuz i'm impatient!
    but I'd recommend starting again is gonna be the best way unless you have time to spend on adjusting this one

14. Dan3088

Dan3088 Active Member

Iv glassed the inside now and it's hard as a rock I was wondering if at this stage with the inside fibre glassed could I still use the heat gun to adjust it? Also I made sure to glass over the gap from the rear so when I start adding filler it will have somthing stopping the filler just dropping inside the helmet. When is the best time to cut the face plate off now or after I have finished adding the bondo?

15. 9Gs

9Gs New Member