Shadow Mark 4 Project WIP Gesso Hybrid

Re: Shadow Mark 4 Project WIP

Just a little update been so busy! here is the back, chest shoulders complete abs are in progress as you can see....
10956-chest-back.jpg

I've got a ba...no, wait...GOOD feelin' 'bout this one! Looking forward to more progress!

Sent a PM to Project Earth asking about option other then white glue or plastidip just want to say big thanks for the recommendation for latax emulsion(y)thumbsup:thumbsup did some research and found a product called Gesso its used for priming canvas for painting and wont crack even if rolled up as most artwork is done....so I layed down a few test layers, so far it covers up all the imperfections its elastic doesnt crack and you can lay down paint as if your were painting plastic! Love it and is super cheap.....two coats now on shoulder bells and chest brace updates to come o forgot to mention seals the foam super well and paint goes on super glossy and with min layers...heres a pic you can find it at any art store
11068-gesso.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah....Sure thing big fan by the way of your star wars suits...Here is a few pics in progress two layers applied...been raining sloooooooooow dry time. As far as I can tell its applies a thin layer of vinyl or rubber like plastidip and since art canvas can be rolled up it flexes allowing the paint to flex with it and no cracking so far on the test piece. On that piece I put two layers, one light spray of primer, and then one very light coat of paint. The product costs about 5 dollars for good size bottle that so far after two coats on the back ,bells, neck brace, and collar is not even close to below half. I heard its wet sandable so thats the next test....
The bells and chest Two coats...
11075-2-layer-gesso-bells.jpg
Test Piece...
11072-photo-1.jpg

Last edited:

Nice work man!!! Also thanks for the product review; I'm starting my build in foam of the IM MKVI; and I'm looking at all the tips I can find...

Awesome craftsmanship!!!!

David

Thanks for the Info on another option on sealing the foam. I will go to the art store and see if they have that and try it out.

You do know, this is a HUGE deal if it takes to the paint well and doesn't crack.
It's always good to hear of an easier/more efficient option.

Your suit is looking great btw

Stef so far i let the test piece dry for a few days...it has two coats of Gesso Primer and one of regular primer and a coat of ordinary spray paint. Adhesion is just perfect more importantly paint doesn't soak in at all zero zilch none....as far as for the cracking well it does crack a tiny bit but not the massive fractures you get from just spraying on foam Ill post comparison pics....

one last thing stealth the most feared question of all!
what scale do you use for the cod? Test Fit showed Iron Man Project Shadow was most likely to work as a male prop stripper (Came out kinda like a g string!) at regular scale.I aint rocking that unless i stumble on a new fetish for some you crazy plushies out there

Did you ever try out the latex caulking to fill the bigger gaps and sand it down?

Were you looking at acrylic latex with silicone or generic latex caulk?

Cheers,

Shades

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back