Sgt. Calhoun:: First time building costume armor. Looking for help and advice.

Metatherone

My wife and I have done costumes for years now but each time I try to make them more advanced. This year I've taken on trying to do Sgt. Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph.

I've started on some components with foam and they've been going well, but the breastplate and legs are the parts I'm not sure how to approach.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375369194.926985.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375369209.271831.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375369233.037813.jpg

I've attached some images of the current pieces and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or templates I should use? If so does anyone have them available as PDFs? (I'm Mac based and probably won't have a PC before this is due at the end if Aug).

I have seen a few female ME armor that would be perfect to modify if I could locate the templates that were used:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375369499.170849.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375369508.187431.jpg
(From AxiomUltra Designs' Facebook)

:First time looking for advice on RPF so if I'm in the wrong place sorry:

EDIT: well I found someone on flicker that got a shot of us at Dragoncon. Overall for my first attempt I am pleased with it:
http://m.flickr.com/lightbox?id=9675179907

Last edited:
Oh boy, the pains of having a Mac in a hobby where PC only Pepakura would help a lot... I feel your pain. XD

I can't recall where, but I do recall seeing the N7 armor templates in pdf form, though I can't remember where I got linked to it. I don't recall a female breastplate variant though. However I don't think it's necessary if you can heat form.

Mass Effect N7 Armor Build! | Evil FX / BioWeapons.com

Scroll to the bottom to see how he did his breastplates. All I recommend is sturdy materials that'll push down the foam to match the curve, otherwise it'll be a mess.

Also I just checked AxiomUltra's Facebook, and he said you could PM him for patterns?...have you tried that, or are they Pep files XD

Good luck~

To my knowledge there are no Calhoun pep files or vector templates. I've been on the hunt for a while but so far nothing.

To my knowledge there are no Calhoun pep files or vector templates. I've been on the hunt for a while but so far nothing.

This is right. There's nothing on her yet.
I'm gonna see if perhaps my buddy can help me make some files for her, since I superbly wanna make her as well. c:

So there /could/ possibly be files for her made LOL

Yeah, I was planning on having the model commissioned if it came time for me to build it and nothing existed publicly yet. So, if you beat me to getting that done, please let me know! =)

Thanks everyone. I did try the heat forming but I don't have the right materials. It came out ok but not how it should have.

AxiomUltras page was where I saw the armor and I did pm him but then saw his last post referenced being out of town for a while so not sure how that'll pan out.

If anyone DOES make some forms and you could send it my way ill post every image and file I can.

In the meantime, if anyone can help me track down the female armor for Mass Effect and I can mod it I will post any pictures I can

Assuming your're talking about his N7 armor, the only thing that's different there is the chest piece. The rest of the male and female armor is identical. I haven't made an N7 myself but I do have these templates downloaded and they are excellent.

All of that said, I really don't know if N7 armor would be a good base for Calhoun's armor. It would be better than nothing, at least.

I am referring to the N7 a d I agree the majority of it is too hefty for hers I'm at a loss on how to make a formed breastplate. That's my primary goal - and I figured the lower area that wraps around to the back would be a great base template to structure the back off of.

Thanks for the link - I saw that before but thought they were pdo files so ill go check those out.

Since the heating didn't work I figure if I can see how they've molded the breast armor using folding and curves and take it from there.

Last edited:
Looks great already. I saw a couple of Calhoun's at Phoenix Comicon that looked pretty good. I think you're definitely on the right track.

Msleeper, thanks! I got the files and it looks like those are going to help a lot. I am still hoping to find a breastplate that doesn't require heat molding but maybe I can work with what I've done so far.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back