Serenity - Firefly Class at HT forum

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Less than Super Ostrich, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Less than Super Ostrich

Less than Super Ostrich Well-Known Member

2. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Have to make one normal, and a second one to "reaver up."

3. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

*... :eek

4. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

I'll be watching this closely. I've seen a lot of threads on a lot of forums about this ship, but nothing has turned into a model kit yet. We've been waiting quite a while on Serenity.

HO does seem an odd choice. It might make diaromas easier since there will be quite bit of model trail road material to use with it. However, you might have a tough time coming up with ground crews or other scaled items.

5. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

Hardly. There are THOUSANDS of items in HO scale. People, animals and machines.

6. Less than Super Ostrich

you're right, redtwox. i'll believe it when i see it.

7. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

I guess I'm just unfamiliar with the scale. I'm used to working with trucks and ground crews in "standard" scales such as 1/72 and 1/48. I know HO is a standard scal model rail roads, but I don't know how many aircraft/spacecraft items the rail road manufacturers make.

I suppose it wouldn't take to too much effort to kit bash an steam engine crew into a docking bay crew.

8. Less than Super Ostrich

a little guy with a shovel throwing coal into Serenity's power core.

9. Sporkey

Sporkey Well-Known Member

the reason he chose that scale is because there is an official ornament coming out thats is 6 inches long and there is another who is potentially kitting serenity which would be 12 inches long, then there is the possability of alex kungs model and whatever size that is, and he thought hey why not go all out since there are so many other scales being produced, the folks over on HT also wanted it in HO so they could fill the cargo hold with cows

10. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thats a good point... Serenity was a "western in space" so whats more western than a train set. In HO scale...

:)

-Gary

11. Wolvster1

Wolvster1 Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

What I'm going to be watching is PRICE... B)

Thomas has a LONG track record of bashing
    other GK makers as " overpricing " thier kit's...
    He claimed many a time that most ALL of the
    GK's out there are overpriced and " he " will make
    his kit's " affordable "...

We shall see.... :unsure

12. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Help me out here. HO scale would place this Serenity model at what size?

And if HO means big scale, and this will be extreeeemely detailed, then I'm in. Just need to get a new job... :lol

edit: waaaait... 28" :confused Where do I sign up?

13. ThomasModels

ThomasModels New Member

LONG track record eh?

I have always based the cost of my kits on what the actual production cost is, not by how much work went into the one master or how cool I or others may think it is. This one will be no different.

The model will be built at 28" in length, with a wingspan of 17" and a height of 8.5" on her gear.

14. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Thomas, good to see you post. And I must say, you've got the full attention of many of us.

Terrible question, but do you have any estimate on price? Estimate on quantity? Limited run?... details, man, details.

Also, I'm confused about the catwalk situation in the cargo bay--will they be there, or not?

15. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Yes. Mooooooooooore info.

16. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

If I can afford it I will definitely get one. Serenity was one of the most unique looking ship designs to come around in a while. Sure its an "ugly" but its the kind of "ugly" we all love - it looks functional (if not particularly areodynamic) and was central to all pf the styory telling int he series and movie.. Its gotta have in my book... As long as I can continue to pay my mortgage the same month I buy it ;)

Any estimated release dates? I've heard rumors but would like to get it from the "source" ;)

Jedi Dade

17. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

Deleted.

18. ThomasModels

ThomasModels New Member

:cry

At this point in time, I have no idea of cost or completion date. I have two commercial tooling masters and one garage kit master I am currently working on, which are all on the verge of completion. Serenity is next. Paying jobs will come in while I am working on that and those will take precedence.

While the majority of the model price will be based on production cost, there will be additional costs incurred that will be out of my hands like the electronics boards and the photo-etch. Like always, I have ZERO intention on pricing any model I make by how much work I put into the one master or on how cool I and others think it is.

19. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Cobywan, this is hearsay unless you've got concrete evidence. Otherwise, hearsay does nothing but spread potentially false information.

Lets keep this thread on-topic without the sarcasm and attitude. PM sent.

20. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

Deleted. Have been working too hard and am way to sensitive to this stuff for my own good.

Sorry guys.

21. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I appreciate the effort and will definitely be looking forward to this model coming along - this one and about 5-10 others ;)

Jedi Dade

22. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would definitely like to see a 28" kit offered. Just in case you're gauging interest.

23. shrugger

shrugger Well-Known Member

Or if it's only 20" then thats right fine as well :)

24. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

I'd be in for one as well.

25. hollywoodhardware

hollywoodhardware Sr Member

Same here.

Thomas

26. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Any updates? Thomas?? :confused

27. ThomasModels

ThomasModels New Member

No nothing yet. Been busy the last two weeks wrapping up contract work.

Most of the computer work that will be used to assist in building the master is about done. Just a little minor tweaking to still do to the files, then the cutting work will begin.