Serenity Firefly 3D Project

Can I ask what glue did you use with your magnets?

I have tried several. It went,...odd!!
Sure! I drilled out the PLA and then packed the hole with Aves Apoxy Sculpt. The magnet was pressed into the AAS before it set up in order to give a clean impression of the magnet. 24 hours later, I roughed up the side of the magnet that was being glued with fine grade sand paper and then used CA glue to secure the magnet into the cavity or hole. The damn things are really strong and so far have held up well. The upper fuselage takes a bit of umph to remove which is exactly what I was hoping for. Hope this helps.

Sure! I drilled out the PLA and then packed the hole with Aves Apoxy Sculpt. The magnet was pressed into the AAS before it set up in order to give a clean impression of the magnet. 24 hours later, I roughed up the side of the magnet that was being glued with fine grade sand paper and then used CA glue to secure the magnet into the cavity or hole. The damn things are really strong and so far have held up well. The upper fuselage takes a bit of umph to remove which is exactly what I was hoping for. Hope this helps.

Excellent.

Thank you. To bother you again can you tell me what size and thickness of magnet you used?

There are a million sizes on K&J magnetics.

Thanks again.

Tom

So sorry to bother yet again.

Searching CA glue has brought up a thousand choices.

I usually use superglue and or JB weld, however these have odd results with magnets.

Can you ell me what type of CA glue you specifically use?

Thanks and sorry to be a pain.

Glad to see an Ender can do this level of printing. But I would have to own stock in a filament company to print something this big. Awesome work !

Excellent.

Thank you. To bother you again can you tell me what size and thickness of magnet you used?

There are a million sizes on K&J magnetics.

Thanks again.

Tom
No bother whatsoever. I wish I had saved the original packaging but these are the magnets that I use on most of my projects. They are 7mm in diameter and 3mm deep. I purchase them at Ace Hardware btw. The CA glue I use is Loctite brand, not the gel but the super glue. I have typically used ZAP products for years but the local hobby shop that carries this brand is not convenient. I have had good success with Loctite and it works well on PLA. Two part resin and JB Weld do not always bond well with PLA. However, roughing up the surface to be bonded is imperative and will improve results. You can get it at any local Home Depot, or Ace Hardware and it works well with a Zip Kicker catalyst.

Last edited:
Glad to see an Ender can do this level of printing. But I would have to own stock in a filament company to print something this big. Awesome work !
The Ender 3 V2 and the Ender 5 Plus are capable of producing excellent results if dialed in correctly. Believe it or not, I did not use a lot of filament on this project because I avoid supports whenever possible and keep the infill percentage really low (8-10%) except on highly detailed pieces. I highly recommend both printers but the Ender 3 is best if you are new to 3D printing.

Okay I use superglue all the time, including Loctite, so I was very confused as I have seen "CA glue" mentioned before. Rather than continue to bother by asking question I went to youtube, so for any other goobers like me here is a great video for you on CA glue.

Can I ask how the 3D lines look in person?

I picked up a 3D printed Mando Rifle. Very well designed, and I figured, like in other cases the camera was making the 3D lines look worse, which is usually the case. Not in this case, and trying to get rid of them is a real pain.

I have heard of some new primers, (Not autobody filler primer) that are specifically made to smooth 3D printed lines.

My Mando rifle is a nightmare, my 3D printed The Batman Batarang showed up with very obvious 3D printed lines but were easy to sand down. To sand the individual Mando Rifle parts will be a challenge.

Thanks

The Ender 3 V2 and the Ender 5 Plus are capable of producing excellent results if dialed in correctly. Believe it or not, I did not use a lot of filament on this project because I avoid supports whenever possible and keep the infill percentage really low (8-10%) except on highly detailed pieces. I highly recommend both printers but the Ender 3 is best if you are new to 3D printing.
Yea I've had my Ender 3 for a couple of years, it's a great printer. Just never printed anything as big as your Serenity. Love that ship and show. Too bad it was cancelled so soon. People at networks are so stupid.

Yea I've had my Ender 3 for a couple of years, it's a great printer. Just never printed anything as big as your Serenity. Love that ship and show. Too bad it was cancelled so soon. People at networks are so stupid.
There has been a lot of talk lately about a Firefly reboot. Nathan Fillion has expressed interest in returning but one of the issues is Josh Whedon and some of the problems associated with his directorial style/behavior etc. Hopefully, the reboot is more than just wishful thinking.

There has been a lot of talk lately about a Firefly reboot. Nathan Fillion has expressed interest in returning but one of the issues is Josh Whedon and some of the problems associated with his directorial style/behavior etc. Hopefully, the reboot is more than just wishful thinking.
I would say that would be a good thing, but the way they remake things these days, I don't know. They probably should just leave it alone. As much as I'd like to see the gang together again, I will just watch the blu-rays and enjoy what we have.

Somehow I missed this whole thread.

Nicely done.

I would suggest that anyone deciding to do this, either consider using something other than PLA or throwing rubber over the parts after printing and cast them.

Remember the purpose of PLA is to disintegrate.

Somehow I missed this whole thread.

Nicely done.

I would suggest that anyone deciding to do this, either consider using something other than PLA or throwing rubber over the parts after printing and cast them.

Remember the purpose of PLA is to disintegrate.

PLA disintegrates???????????

That's the claim: Biodegradable. Have you seen old filament prints that have begun to unravel? That's the purpose of plant based materials.

That's the claim: Biodegradable. Have you seen old filament prints that have begun to unravel? That's the purpose of plant based materials.

What the Duck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if you want to build a large ship model that does not go away, what do you use?

Technically, every model is in danger of falling apart at some point. Even polystyrene models eventually degrade. I recently started restoring an old model from the 1960's. It was made of styrene, so it's parts must be reinforced due to its fragility. The parts crack in places new parts usually wouldn't.

One of the most durable model materials currently being used is stainless steel sheet. Other materials include wood, aluminum (aluminium), brass, glass and polycarbonates. Basically, any long-lasting material you can find for real items is a good model material.

Technically, every model is in danger of falling apart at some point. Even polystyrene models eventually degrade. I recently started restoring an old model from the 1960's. It was made of styrene, so it's parts must be reinforced due to its fragility. The parts crack in places new parts usually wouldn't.

One of the most durable model materials currently being used is stainless steel sheet. Other materials include wood, aluminum (aluminium), brass, glass and polycarbonates. Basically, any long-lasting material you can find for real items is a good model material.

A bit scary looking at my MR Falcon.

As far as material what is best for 3D printing?

Thanks again.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back