Seraphimon build (digimon) -armor

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by ultulva, Feb 1, 2012.

1. ultulva

ultulva New Member

Hello again rpfers. I love this community.

So I wanted some major input. I am building this full suit of arms
    [​IMG]
    One of the major things I am designing is a mechanism for these wings. Since the show does not make them out to be feathers, I will probably be making them out of something thin and solid, (maybe thick pieces of chip board) So to step it up a little i would like to make some kind of mechanism that would allow me to fan out these wings, i.e. allow them to go from this position, to a position where they are all folded down against my back. I have some general ideas, but I would love some input from you mechanically savvy builders.
    [​IMG]

So on top of this I am posting my progress on the build on here, I am working on it at least a little each week, so the updates should be fairly regular. Hope you all like.

Much thanks in advance!! [​IMG]

So first up, the helmet, I tried starting a balloon paper mache, and after a couple attempts i got this:
    [​IMG]

Even though it turned out ... alright :/ ... I'm a bit too much of a perfectionist to use it, I cut one side a little too short and there were too many divets to fill, so I thought I would try a different approach.

My old bread and butter pepakura: So not only is Digimon not a popular build, but this particular one did not get a bunch of air time, even though being essentially the end all, of the angelic tier. The point: there are no pep files i could find him, so what to do? well i could have modeled him and unfolded him, but I don't have the knowledge to do it to be honest. So, found a pep of daft punk's Guy helmet, and made some modifications, along with some overlapping cardstock strips for the back. Turned out alright.

[​IMG]

Resined it, and here is the problem. I was a little overanxious to do it, without using all the proper precautions and tools, and i mixed only half the hardener that it needed :/ So now it has some real tacky potions to it.

[​IMG]

So QUESTION: how can I salvage this helmet from the tacky uncured resin? I tried putting a little hardener on a paper towel and dabbing it on said areas, but no dice :/

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. ultulva

ultulva New Member

Re: mechanical wings help needed

One week bump :/ Hmm well what i came up with was some sort of pulley system pulling up the wings up. Wings attached to each other in the centroid like a paper fan, so they pull upwards in succession. Not sure how to use the cords without it being noticeable or impracticable.

Any other ideas or an expansion on mine?

Still need your help rpf!

3. Leander

Leander Active Member

seems like there is a lot of space in the back between the wings, you might be able to hide a mechanism there... but someone else has to remove the backplate and lower/raise the wings..

4. Rassilon

Rassilon Well-Known Member

That is an interesting mechanical challenge, one that I would take on if not for my A.D.O.S Dalek build, and not to mentions other projects that have been demanding so much of my time.

The feathers, chip board is a pore material to use, to heavy and no strength, may I suggest 3mm or 1/8” MDF partical borad attached to your mechanism.

The first step is to make a cardboard prototype of your feathers to get the shape and to work out how the mechanism to operate the feathers works, 1:1 scale, before you do any manufacturing.

5. Laranorac

Laranorac Member

seraphimon?? too epic sir. I would almost make it spring loaded so that they would move faster. But idk how you would trigger it. Please post pics of the armor you have.

6. Rassilon

Rassilon Well-Known Member

To move your feathers I would use an electric actuator, I use this type in the building of Dalek Caan, have a look at this web site.

http://www.robotshop.com/world/firgelli-actuators.html

The actuators are very small and very powerfull, this will allow you to open and close you fearther without any assistance from anyone.

Only a suggestion.

7. ultulva

ultulva New Member

@ Rassilon ~ thank you for all your input, I definitely will consider the 3 mm part. board, I was trying to think what would be best, and chip board is fairly light, wouldn't 3 mm particle board be much heavier? Definitely sounds like it would be sturdier and probably cheaper too. And that comes to my second restraint. I usually work with the cheapest materials i can get my hands on and don't mind spending time on the project in exchange. An actuator would be amazing, but $60 -$100 for it unfortunately way out of my range for just one part of the suit :/

8. ultulva

ultulva New Member

So happy you recognized him ^.^ Yeah maybe I will post some pics of my progress. It is going somewhat slowly, that's what happens when you dont want to invest in expensive materials but demand perfection haha

9. Dung0beetle

Dung0beetle Well-Known Member

Glue a stack of 4 old cd/dvd's together (AOL cd's are useful after all), then use a dremel or saw to cut out gear teeth. Only one pair of wings really needs the gears, the others can be belt driven. You can make the wings from foam board to keep them lightweight. If they are light, you can drive them with a hobby motor. To make the template, get a free cd label software and print out your gear template with it. You don't have to make it expensive.

10. ultulva

ultulva New Member

That is a fine way to make a gear, but not sure how to physically implement it, any contraption you can reference me to look up? Also, I would like to unfurl the wings while in costume without another's assistance. Any idea how I can activate it?

11. ultulva

ultulva New Member

Springs I feel are a must, if not for actually "shooting" the wings out , but at least for countering thier weight. If I had some heavy duty springs I could have the wings "at rest" being fully unfurled, need some mechanism then that could push the wings down and set them in a sort of catch. hmmm....

12. ultulva

ultulva New Member

It has been so long since I've updated this. So bad at it, but I'm working on that. So the time for it's debut finally came around for Otakon 2012 in Baltimore. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts to work ahead of time, the cosplay did not finish in time. I even worked on it in the hotel the weekend of and in the car. Needless to say the detail for the painting is a far cry from what I even deem acceptable and the build is still missing about 20% of the parts. That being said it was the only thing I had brought, so happy with it or not, I was going to be wearing it. To be honest, it turned out much better on camera than I thought it would. Anyhow without further ado I will be uploading some of my process pictures and the "final" build at the end.

13. ultulva

ultulva New Member

So from where I left off on the helmet I built it up with layers of a homemade paperclay mixture and smoothed it out.
    [​IMG]

And after a few coats and some primer i got this. The shine was actually an experiment using heat shrink plastic. it simply didn't hold up very well, but it was a decent idea.

[​IMG]

14. ultulva

ultulva New Member

Cut the chest front and back out of EVA foam, hot glued some side release snaps on the inside. great feeling to finally get something wearable [​IMG]

It's getting late , so I will just post the rest tomorrow. Night rpf ;) zzzzzzzzzz

15. ultulva

ultulva New Member

Used a hot knife and other exacto blades to give the "visor" opening a nice clean edge.
    [​IMG]

16. ultulva

ultulva New Member

[​IMG]

collar

17. ultulva

ultulva New Member

[​IMG]

pendant added and underarm braces added to lift chest plate off chest

18. FlawlessWrite

FlawlessWrite New Member

Nice job sir. Digimon was a awesome show. Can't wait to see how you costume comes out.

19. ultulva

ultulva New Member

[​IMG]

pauldron progress...

20. ultulva

ultulva New Member

[​IMG]

Helm with final coats of paint, PETG cut and hotglued on. Makes for a "visor" with less than desirable field of vision, but I can still see where I am going. :p

21. ultulva

ultulva New Member

[​IMG]

Wing blades cut from a veneered plywood

22. ultulva

ultulva New Member

[​IMG]

Wings were coated in layers of PVA and acrylic mix and polyurethaned. The wings were then added on to the final backpack design I come up with. So instead of pulleys or actuators, what we have here are the wings layered on each other and sandwiched between 2 boards. With the 3 bolts, there is enough force to friction-lock them in place. I used an old ragged backpack I had, and replaced the ladder lock buckles with side release buckles. This way the shoulder straps are just threaded through a slit in the back of the chest armor and then can be locked and adjusted as needed.

23. ultulva

ultulva New Member

[​IMG]

"finished" wings. On the back I made the jetpack cover for it. They still need to have slits either cut or painted on, aside from that, I think they look pretty good. (egad! you can see my face o_O, now the world will know)

24. ultulva

ultulva New Member

[​IMG]

The "skirt" details were hastily painted on before the con, so I am reapplying coats of paint over it and redoing the details

25. ultulva

ultulva New Member

Here is the suit at Otakon, it's at about 80% completion

[​IMG]
    (My friend as Beelzebumon)

[​IMG]

26. P4r4dox86

P4r4dox86 Well-Known Member

Wow that turned out really well mate! Congrats.

27. MMAndrew

MMAndrew New Member

Looks sick dude. Can't wait to see what you plan to add on!

28. ultulva

ultulva New Member

Thank you both :)

Well it is 80% because it's missing a few pieces and paint. First off, he has a breechcloth which I hadn't painted or applied yet. The leg armor is plain and incomplete as there is a diamond shaped knee cover. The helmet visor will be redone, the PETG I used does not fit quite right and I did not cut it to fit the curve. I will be modeling it with clay and forming a piece of yellow plastic as the whole visor piece. The helmet also has a mohawk of sorts. The wrist armor is only half made. The shoes need to be made with wings and all. Details will be repainted on with dimension for the torso, shoulders and skirt, and faux edges into the wings

:eek now that I am actually writing everything out... I think that 80% went down to 70%... I have alot of work to put in ti ^.^