Sensor controlled Spider-Man mechanical/moving lenses

lewiscondrey

Heres a look at the finished product

EDIT:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As the title says I'm making a moving lense spider-man cosplay maskI'm actually in the final few stages.
I only have to 3d print my parts and wait for my pcb to arrive so that I can assemble the final product.

using the sensor eliminates the need for a second switch to change "modes" as the mask does what I do

It has been a fun little challenge, but from the lack of info, I intend on releasing a tutorial once I have completed it

I'm using the Arduino nano and an obstacle avoidance sensor close to my eyes being treated like button presses to move 2 rotary servo's

first I had to see if i could get this to react to my eye closing so here's a quick test of that
[removed]

with this working in theory I knew i had to get 2 servos moving independently with virtually no lag if this was going to work

with my circuit built I designed a pcb and got it ordered (currently waiting for arrival)
67667454_2593410484037250_4527905037792012099_n.jpg

next its time for a faceshell and the lenses themselves, so I began using this reference for the headshape
and began modelling

next for the lenses I used this reference but I didn't like how unsmooth the hole was or the way they closed towards the center instead of around where your eyes would sit

So I modelled the outside lens and off the widest/most open in the reference and when designing the inner moving pieces I just repeated the pattern but making the space smaller and smaller to gimmick a camera lens and made it so they close towards the nose

11.png

and as of writing this I have curved the lenses to fit the faceshell and just need to add holes for pivots, holes for elastic and holes for breathing

Screenshot_11.png
Screenshot_10.png

So like I said the project is nearly finished and I can't wait to wear it to mcm london next month
let me know what you all think! if you have any suggestion for other things I can try implement to the mask or smarter ways I could be doing this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_10.png
    Screenshot_10.png
    185.5 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:
small update as I'm still printing the parts in my free time, i got these parts done

69314652_942218002804974_8544101282292432896_n.jpg

the lenses work too but I have yet to sand them down, I'm using black filament as I feel paint would only cause problems with their movement
1111.png

I did run into a problem with the top lens, my counter point wasn't low enough so I added an extra loop and am re-printing as I type this out

Screenshot_19.png

My next update should be a video of the mask together and working

I'm in no way dissing your 3D modelling skills. They're far better than mine.

But man, what's up with the setup on your printer? Looks like it has some issues that need to be fine tuned. Not sure if it's printing too cold, because it seems the quality isn't consistent. The mask itself seemed fine until the top of the head, and the eyes seem like it was printed at a much higher temperature.

Are you printing in ABS by any chance? Might be crappy filament, idk.

Some cheap filaments I just stay away from because they're just too inconsistent. Some colours work better than others, etc.

Good progress though!

I'm in no way dissing your 3D modelling skills. They're far better than mine.

But man, what's up with the setup on your printer? Looks like it has some issues that need to be fine tuned. Not sure if it's printing too cold, because it seems the quality isn't consistent. The mask itself seemed fine until the top of the head, and the eyes seem like it was printed at a much higher temperature.

Are you printing in ABS by any chance? Might be crappy filament, idk.

Some cheap filaments I just stay away from because they're just too inconsistent. Some colours work better than others, etc.

Good progress though!

I printed the face shell at a lower resolution to reduce the print time from 5 hours a piece to 1 and a half hour a piece
Since there's no point making a super smooth high-quality faceshell that no one will be able to see.

But the lenses are on show so they're printed at a much higher resolution as they are what people will see.

I'm still going to sand it but I'm confident layer lines won't show through lycra lol

Update I'm now just soldering to the pcb and assembling the mask
72475007_1100342573636848_2246057496458466501_n.jpg

I'm using AAA 10440 3.7V rechargeable lithium batteries with a generic slide switch and generic AAA battery pack, cut the wire and soldered them together added shrink tubes for neater look and tested on the breadboard to make sure it worked.

72748365_180911969618476_1342072204226101_n.jpg
worked out the length for the wires and just need to solder on the arduino, servo's and sensors but im saving the sensors for last as i need to place them ontop of the eye mesh.

Here's the full fit
70713393_160609261805349_368580624225789660_n.jpg
70894802_197882744552975_5683484607718676592_n.jpg

and here's a video of the lenses moving

They don't close as much as I designed them too so I need to do some tweaking and sanding before I continue

I'm also adding this video to the top post so anyone new to the thread can see the current status

Hey, amazing project! I know you were planning to release a guide once the project was finished, just wondered if that might be in the next week?

Hey, amazing project! I know you were planning to release a guide once the project was finished, just wondered if that might be in the next week?
I have a convention I'm wearing it at this weekend but once I'm home from it ill do my write up and put the files out

Is there anyway that you could at least post the 3D file before tomorrow, if not that’s okay. I don’t want to rush you, but if you could that would be awesome. Thanks.

I think you need to start a gofundme so we help you buy a MSLA 3D printer! lol

Will definitely help the quality of the prints so you dont have to sand those nasty print lines common from a FDM printer

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back