Question selling in the junk yard

trooper

Sr Member
i have been selling here for many years and just encountered an issue i have never dealt with before. i was in sales for many years in various types of sales, and in any sales busyness the first who pays gets it. but now this is the Internet and things can be a little different :)
soo...
i have a guy who has been in contact with me about an item im selling, i gave him a quote with shipping but have not heard back from him, in the mean time i have another buyer who wants to send money now! i obviously feel obligated to the first responder to the sale, but how long do i have to wait for an official "ok" im sending you money? i did not see anything in jy rules. also i see the potential buyer has logged on but has not responded to my e-mail.

Last edited:
First up, hats off for being a gentleman :)

I suppose there is no hard & fast rule. It depends on how long its been for the first person to reply, and also, whether you gave him a deadline to respond or not.

If you gave no dead-line, perhaps that is something you could do in the future (?), but again, if it's been unreasonably long, just sell it to the next guy.

It's up to you to find a balance of what is reasonable and not loose a sale I suppose.

Personally, anything more than 3-5 days, in my books, is long enough to wait for a response.

obviously i want to sell the item,, but i also want to do right by the potential buyers as well. i pmed the guy, if he does not respond and i see that he has logged on since, im selling to the next guy....unless some one see's some thing wrong with doing that.

also i see the potential buyer has logged on but has not responded to my e-mail.

Just saw this little detail. If he logged in and out without replying ....

..... sell it to the next guy.

Now.

:lol

Shows a total lack of interest and/or common courtesy, IMO.

thanks for the help guys,
i'll wait a bit longer, if i get no responce and i see he has llogged on AGAIN and has not responded , im selling to the next guy :)

i have been selling here for many years and just encountered an issue i have never dealt with before. i was in sales for many years in various types of sales, and in any sales busyness the first who pays gets it. but now this is the Internet and things can be a little different :)
soo...
i have a guy who has been in contact with me about an item im selling, i gave him a quote with shipping but have not heard back from him, in the mean time i have another buyer who wants to send money now! i obviously feel obligated to the first responder to the sale, but how long do i have to wait for an official "ok" im sending you money? i did not see anything in jy rules. also i see the potential buyer has logged on but has not responded to my e-mail.

I do the same thing, but I usually give 24-48 hrs depending the item

thats what i figured i would do. ALTHOUGH , as a buyer if i tell some one that i want something, i pay immediately, i kind of wondering if maybe hes gathering funds??? no idea, it just seems weird that he would not respond to my last e-mail and i know hes logged on once and pretty certain twice.....nver lost a buyer before, just odd lol

Logging in without answering a PM doesn't necessarily mean anything. Sometimes I login real quick to check PMs or read something else, but I don't always have the time to respond. Also, I often have trouble replying to PMs on my phone or iPad (usually because of issues with the Tapatalk app) so I have to wait until I am at a real computer before responding.

That being said, it shouldn't take more than a day or two. Just my two cents.

If you say "first to pay gets it" and the first person has logged on and not responded, move to the next guy.

I usually sell with a "first to say I'll take it" policy and then give a day or two for payment unless something else was arranged.

There's enough flakes on these boards that say they want things and don't follow thru.
I wouldn't bend over backwards. Sell to whoever is willing to pony up the cash. If the other person loses out too bad. Not your problem. This is business.

Amen! Bird in hand and all...

People promise me the world all the time and I never hear from them again. I get PM's like "OH, I've wanted one of these for years, I get payed in the morning, I PROMISE I'll pay you if you hold it for me."

After years of it, I got tired of feeling like Charlie Brown having ther football pulled out from under him.

My new policy is simple and effective. If someone can take a minute to PM me and say they want something, they can do me the same courtesy if there's going to be a delay.

After 24 hours I move on.

If you say "first to pay gets it" and the first person has logged on and not responded, move to the next guy.

I usually sell with a "first to say I'll take it" policy and then give a day or two for payment unless something else was arranged.

i think for now on thats a good policy to add to the listings, ive never had an issue before, but this will insure there ever be another.

the 1'st guy did respond back, due to duties he will have to pay he could not afford it. i wanted to insure the sierra sneekers im selling for $200 and he didnt want to, so i told him i cant ship with out covering my own asset :) ya know what meen lol
i would have liked to have sold them to him, but not under those conditions :(
so onto the the other guy :)

thanks every one for your words of advice, i apreciate it :) :thumbsup

jerry

I wouldnt expect a seller to hang on for more than a couple of days if I was making my mind up, unless I've promised them I'll pay nearer payday :) in which case I would still expect them to sell to the first person with physical cash.

I wouldnt expect a seller to hang on for more than a couple of days if I was making my mind up, unless I've promised them I'll pay nearer payday :) in which case I would still expect them to sell to the first person with physical cash.

if your reply on a post was "i'll buy it" your a buyer...pay for it! , there is no deciding, you SHOULD have already decieded at that point when you posted that your an owner. NO ONE should have to put some thing on hold pending you deciding wheather or not you wanted it.
now UNLESS you say something like "im interested pending price" say if it's an interest thread then thats different.
but if some one is selling something and say you want it, that decision is over, flaking out on junk yard listings will bring you much bad juju here :)

Word!

It's funny, the buyers who take forever making payments (after several reminders) as if there's all they time in the world finally send over PMs saying "Oh' I forgot..."

Interesting, how they don't want to hear the same thing when they ask if it's shipped yet.

if your reply on a post was "i'll buy it" your a buyer...pay for it! , there is no deciding, you SHOULD have already decieded at that point when you posted that your an owner. NO ONE should have to put some thing on hold pending you deciding wheather or not you wanted it.
now UNLESS you say something like "im interested pending price" say if it's an interest thread then thats different.
but if some one is selling something and say you want it, that decision is over, flaking out on junk yard listings will bring you much bad juju here :)

thats what i figured i would do. ALTHOUGH , as a buyer if i tell some one that i want something, i pay immediately, i kind of wondering if maybe hes gathering funds??? no idea, it just seems weird that he would not respond to my last e-mail and i know hes logged on once and pretty certain twice.....nver lost a buyer before, just odd lol

If i have to gather funds i usually say that I get paid on this date and could you hold it and i pay that day (unless i lose the PM and have to ask for the paypal again). I try to only make it a few days if possible.

:lol
Word!

thank you :)

It's funny, the buyers who take forever making payments (after several reminders) as if there's all they time in the world finally send over PMs saying "Oh' I forgot..."

Interesting, how they don't want to hear the same thing when they ask if it's shipped yet.

lol ain't that the truth :lol

when i say i want something, i HAVE the money and i pay as soon as i SEE there response, usually within minutes if not the hour, i do have to make a living, and it isn't sitting behind a pc so i dont always catch it fast....it's just a courtesy to the seller. i do that same thing on ebay, here is an e-mail I received from a seller, and i have a few like this :lol
" Dear atikon,

Jerry - clearly you're trying to break the record for the most rapid payment on ebay! "

i had to laugh at that one.

but that's just how I role, i dont expect every one to be like this....maybe it's the ocd...or is that being anal ??? i dont know whatcha call it :) but it works for me :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I also do the same, if an item is sought after by many people and one contacted me first but didn't reply to my messages, I try contacting the possible buyer by email and PM, and if he/she doesn't answer in 24 hours it is going to the next man in line. And when I'm a buyer at the same moment the seller gives me his paypal my money is sent to him, except when we discussed before about paying later or something.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back