See Dave Prowse as Darth Vader one last time in: Star Wars, the Interactive Video Board Game

blewis17

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
in 1996, Parker Brothers Games released the Star Wars VHS Interactive Video Board Game, featuring re-used shots from ANH, ESB, ROTJ, and NEW scenes of Vader, Imperials, and Stormtroopers. Dave Prowse stepped back into the Vader costume some 13 years since last seen, and James Earl Jones provided the new dialogue.

Below is a link to the nearly hour long VHS footage.

Note that you would "play" the VHS tape at certain intervals to progress the story as you moved your pieces around the game board.

A Death Star hallway was designed for the new footage, and ROTJ era stormtrooper costumes were used.
At first glance, the Vader outfit SEEMS to be all ROTJ but it could be a mish-mash of ESB, ROTJ, Touring suits, etc.
Also, Vader seems to be mighty mellow in the new footage :)

He's so pensive. lol I remember these "video" games where they tried making board games more interactive with VHS tapes. The concept never seemed to take off and I remember it got reworked a few years down the line with DVD's. Especially with murder mystery games. They just couldn't compete with traditional video games. It's still a fun look back at a really niche market with table top games and Star Wars history. Plus seeing Prowse in the suit and hearing James Earl Jones voice the character is always treat.

In a nutshell, what's the story?
As far as I can see from the documentary "I am your father" he got blamed for the leak of Vader being Luke's father. I haven't watched it in forever and it seems to be currently unavailable but I remember there being something about how he hadn't known and only speculated. But then it caused a falling out with Lucasfilm.

As far as I can see from the documentary "I am your father" he got blamed for the leak of Vader being Luke's father. I haven't watched it in forever and it seems to be currently unavailable but I remember there being something about how he hadn't known and only speculated. But then it caused a falling out with Lucasfilm.
Oh wow...
I was expecting a bad contract or something.

I remember these pics were from that video shoot.

davidprowse.jpg
070d31dbb28de53d9364721ecadc723c.jpg

Oh wow...
I was expecting a bad contract or something.
Well that too, he was to be paid as a percentage of the gross profits from ROTJ but he prob didn't realize that gross profit as such doesn't exist.
And then later due to the afirementioned fallout he was not invited or allowed to take part in any official SW event.

Well that too, he was to be paid as a percentage of the gross profits from ROTJ but he prob didn't realize that gross profit as such doesn't exist.
And then later due to the afirementioned fallout he was not invited or allowed to take part in any official SW event.
That's sounds...depressing.

An interesting footnote was that they hired Gil Taylor (DP on Star Wars in 77) to be DP on the video game shoot as well... So along with Prowse and Jones reprising the role, they also worked to give it the same LOOK as the original film...

That's sounds...depressing.
I just looked it up the other day, I was wrong it's the net profit that's nonexistent.

Creative accounting in Hollywood Hollywood accounting - Wikipedia
Jeez...
Lifetime work for accountants.

"How do they do this? Well first, imagine that George Lucas decided to go to New York tomorrow to talk about showing Return of the Jedi in 3D. And he stayed at the Ritz Carlton, ordered sushi at 3 a.m. from room service and used the hotel phone to call Bahrain to make prank calls.

Well, 26 years after the release of the film, the accountants at Lucasfilm are going to charge $86,000 to the costs of Return of the Jedi. I am NOT joking. This is what they do. If George Lucas utters the words Star Wars and he’s spending money, they’re putting it on the red line for one of those films.
"

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back