Seburo GONG (Appleseed)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Sandman0077

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey, everyone. I've recently taken up 3D Modeling as a serious hobby, and I've been able to revisit this old project. Originally I was going to do an airsoft version out of metal and wood, but I was way to ambitious at the time (7+ years ago). Now, I just want a static prop that I can 3D print when I get my Ender 3 next month. I just finished modeling it solid (almost half of the parts were modeled seperately in order to make a version that would cycle, magazine would come out, etc, but that's kinda difficult unless you can print and troubleshoot issues.

Here it is in it's current state. I blended as many details as I could from various sources found over the years online and in media. This is *MY* perfect version, aesthetically speaking. The hand grips were giving me a really hard time, so I modeled them as closely as I could, and will be finishing the scales via sanding to proper shape when it's finally printed.

Gong 1.png
Gong 2.png
Gong 3.png
Gong 4.png
Gong 5.png

Not sure if I will offer these static kits in the Junkyard, but it's possible (in the future).

Any thoughts/questions about this project? I can provide additional screenshots if anyone wants to see different views.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Kovnyn

Sr Member
Looks really cool (never got into Appleseed, though I am aware of it).
The grip looks dead on like a Nerf gun, don't know if that was intentional, since you said you had a hard time with them. Might be an aesthetic turn off for some.

For me, I'd love a copy for a Star Wars blaster, but the grip kills it for me.

But that's my own aesthetics, so aside from that, I love it.

Sandman0077

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yeah, I couldn't model the scales properly. I just made general cutouts in the scales where the angles will be, based on concept art, screenshots, and the recast I have. That will be an easy fix done by hand once it's printed.

Thanks for the feedback!
Looks really cool (never got into Appleseed, though I am aware of it).
The grip looks dead on like a Nerf gun, don't know if that was intentional, since you said you had a hard time with them. Might be an aesthetic turn off for some.

For me, I'd love a copy for a Star Wars blaster, but the grip kills it for me.

But that's my own aesthetics, so aside from that, I love it.

Sandman0077

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Did a color render on the Gong to show the palette I'm gonna go with once it's printed and assembled.
Render Lines 2.jpg

Render Lines.jpg

Last edited:

Tanglefoot

Bravo! If it works out and you would like to offer a kit I'd love to hear about it. I finally found one of my white whales in a Bajoran Phaser rifle and a Gong is one of the few pieces I'm still looking for.

Cataras

Would like to know as well if kits become available. :)
Barring that, do you have some simple dimensions for your model? Even just a simple length? A friend of mine found these plans but it looks like it might be a scaled down version.

Thanks in advance!

C

Sandman0077

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Barring that, do you have some simple dimensions for your model? Even just a simple length? A friend of mine found these plans but it looks like it might be a scaled down version.

Thanks in advance!

C
I'll have to double check when I get home.

Sandman0077

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks in advance!

C
412.50mm long, from tip of barrel to back on the grip.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.