Announcement Search Update

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
As promised, we will be performing a major overhaul of our Search function this weekend, moving to a much faster, much more powerful search engine. What does this mean for you? There is a good chance we will have to take down the server a few times and searching will certainly be impacted until we get things finalized. So, if you have issues searching the forum this weekend or come to the site and it is down, that is why.

Was this finished or?
I noticed a small problem with the search function:
search.jpg
I have it set to sort by last posting date, but it's not working.

We will have to test this, but this is my initial guess. Your search type is POSTS and you have the search set to Post Results by: Last Posting Date but you also have Show Results as: Threads. Again, I haven't tested this, but in this case the search is looking for a particular word or phrase in a POST and then it is arranging those posts that contain your term in chronological order. However, since you have asked it to show the results as threads, many of the threads have been posted to since the post with your term and what is displayed on the far right is showing the date/time that the thread was last posted to.... not the last post which included your term. If I am right in my assumption, all you have to do is change the last option from Show Results as: Threads to Show Results as: Posts and you will see them in chronological order (actually, the order won't change, but since you aren't seeing others posts, they will appear correct).

If I am right in my assumption, all you have to do is change the last option from Show Results as: Threads to Show Results as: Posts and you will see them in chronological order (actually, the order won't change, but since you aren't seeing others posts, they will appear correct).

You are right Art :)
HOWEVER :p if my memory serves me right, wasn't this different before? :confused

I am guessing the Search function is still being tweaked.

After a keyword search, I keep getting multiple pages of results showing the list of threads. But when I click on page 2 or onwards, I get the Notice error "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Sometimes if I try again, it allows me to see the page 2 results, but mostly the error keeps popping up.

I am guessing the Search function is still being tweaked.

After a keyword search, I keep getting multiple pages of results showing the list of threads. But when I click on page 2 or onwards, I get the Notice error "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Sometimes if I try again, it allows me to see the page 2 results, but mostly the error keeps popping up.
I am unable to replicate the problem you are having. Please give specifics... what search box are you using (site wide, inside a specific forum, etc.), if using advanced search, what specific boxes do you have checked?

Site wide (advanced search)

Search Titles Only

Search All Forums

Show Results as: Threads

For eg: Use the keyword "Minority Report". Four pages show up, but I can't click 2, 3 or 4 without getting the error.

Well this is interesting... for me it only fails with "Minority Report", I tried other phrases and they work fine. It works fine with "star wars", "iron man", etc. Do you have others that fail, and does it work with "star wars" or "iron man"?

I don't remember what other keywords I used in the last few days, but this happened with couple of other keywords as well.

Another eg: Use "District 9". Four pages show up (It says Page 1 of 60) When I click 2 or 3, there is no error, but the number of pages goes down to three. Fourth page vanishes. The oldest thread shows up as July 2010, when in fact there are couple of other District 9 threads that were last updated prior to July 2010. Like this one

Star Wars, Iron Man work fine.

I haven't put the new one through its paces, but any improvement is appreciated! I remember having to go manually tell the system to build a database for it. A pain!

Is there any reason we can't have a search button on the main page? One has to enter a forum to use it currently.

I type something into the search box top left then click on the magnifying glass but nothing at all happens. The advanced search works fine so not really an issue. But never had any problems with it until a couple of months ago. I'm using chrome

I type something into the search box top left then click on the magnifying glass but nothing at all happens. The advanced search works fine so not really an issue. But never had any problems with it until a couple of months ago. I'm using chrome
The hourglass icon is broken in Chrome, but you can just hit "Enter" to use the search function until it's fixed. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back