Sealing paint on a latex mask?

Vandark

Sr Member
Hi there,

I've just put some fake blood splases on a latex mask, with red latex paint, but once dried, they peel off.

What can I seal the mask with that might hold the paint on?

I've not got time to go out and buy something made for the job.

Any ideas of something I might already have on my workbench? Or in the bathroom/kitchen etc?

There is no sealer for latex, and it wouldn't help you if there were. It's your paint that is the problem.

Your paint needs to be mixed with raw latex for it to stick to the mask (about 60/40). It will go on very light (almost pastel looking), but then dry darker. Use only very thin coats and make sure that each coat is fully dried before adding another. When you are happy with your work, powder it with a light touch of baby powder.

Oh, and make sure that any unpowdered latex does not touch any other unpowdered latex cause it will stick like a beast and not let go.

Alternately, I believe you can experiment (on some scrap material first!) with mixing paint with 5 minute epoxy and using that for blood. It should stick to latex well and have the added benefit of staying glossy.

What I've been using for painting latex is a 50/50 mix of naptha and rubber cement colored with oil paints. I just finished painting these

knees2.png

There IS a sealer for latex masks. Go to a hardware store and get clear plasti dip in an aerosol can.

It allows you to paint onto latex with acrylic paint. Spray a coat or two with the plasti dip(drying completely between coats). It will allow the mask to flex but not crack and flake off.

Used this method for years before I started mixing latex with paint. It is awesome!

Pat

Hi there, I'm new here and in the short time I've been looking I've learnt loads from you chaps. Painting latex has always been a headscratcher and this thread is a massive help. Cheers guys, seems easy when you know how!

Yes, thanks for this! I just joined RPF because I have come to here for help a couple of times, this is still relevant after you posted it almost 2 years later!

There IS a sealer for latex masks. Go to a hardware store and get clear plasti dip in an aerosol can.

It allows you to paint onto latex with acrylic paint. Spray a coat or two with the plasti dip(drying completely between coats). It will allow the mask to flex but not crack and flake off.

Used this method for years before I started mixing latex with paint. It is awesome!

Pat

Hey man, I just bought the Flash mask and its way too big. I decided to trim it so that it would fit better. I was wondering if I could just use spray paint on it to paint it, or could I possibly just use plastidip( don't have latex lying around)? I am trying to give it a brighter and more of a 2024 look

Seems as good a place as anywhere to put this.

Have a painted bodysuit using the rubbercement method, what is a good way of stopping the arms sticking to the body. Worried talc would discolour it and unsure what sort of transparent make up would work (something else that was suggested). Thanks

Pat

patsmear... With that plasti dip... Can I airbrush Fw inks direct to latex mask and after that's dry, use the plasti dip to seal?? I notice that fw rubs off with water. I'm looking to get Perma wet but don't wanna spend over twenty bucks (damn shipping) for four ounces.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back