Sealer for latex mask

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by wholesomejoe, Aug 30, 2015.

1. wholesomejoe

wholesomejoe Active Member

I've painted a latex mask with acrylic paint mixed with latex for the first 2-3 layers, then I went back with just straight acrylic thinned down with alcohol in an airbrush. It looks great, but I noticed that if I handle the pieces very rough it will rub off. Is there any way to seal it to keep it from doing that? It's a costume so it will get some wear and tear while trying to put it on.

2. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

I typically use Liquitex Gloss or Matte medium. Thin with distilled water and you can spray it through your airbrush.

A lot of people use Monstermakers Permawet but it is exactly the same as Liquitex's gloss medium.

Alternatively you could use clear plastidip. I've not personally used this method but a few Indy mask makers I know swear by it.

3. paulblopez

paulblopez New Member

what he said is bettr but you can also use kryolan crystal clear or dull spray

4. wholesomejoe

wholesomejoe Active Member

The Kryolan isn't flexible though is it? Some of my pieces stretch a good bit to put them on.

5. amfx74

amfx74 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

6. DarkAnima

DarkAnima New Member

[TABLE="class: uiGrid _51mz _5f0n, width: 646"]
    [TR="class: _51mx"]
    [TD="class: _51m- vTop _5ep5"][/TD]
    [TD="class: _51m- vTop _5ep6"]I have few questions and I hope someone can help me.

1. Can I use Liquitex professional matte varnish with a brush on a burlap textured latex mask that I have painted with latex and acrylic paints to seal the paint permanently? (The Liquitex product says permanent and water resistant)

2. Would the matte varnish make a dry burlap textured mask overly matte or would it not ruin it at all?

3. The inside of the latex mask has a lot of friction on my hair and it tries to pull at it whenever it comes in contact with it, what could I use to seal the inside and make it so it has no pull on my hair and make it permanently slippery?[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]