SDS to Original Helmet TIE helmet comparison

Couple more comparison pics from my site done some time ago...

AATIEvsSDS1.jpg

and

SDSvsOrigback1.jpg

Cheers

Jez

Looking at that last pic of the SDS helmet and it looks like the right hand side of the face hangs down also. Is that picture a mirror/flipped image?

Keith.

Nope, I did those comparisons with my #24 helmet. Keep in mind that that area will be affected by how it was pulled down over the mold and how it comes off the mold....ie: how much undercut there is.

T

Originally posted by Keith@Mar 31 2006, 07:53 AM
Its seems the tube is also wrong on the SDS as well as the bottom of the face:
[snapback]1216767[/snapback]​

I suspect you are pointing out the same issues that have been pointed out many times in regards to the SDS trooper face...

The flare and lack of undercut near the front of the chin, and possibly the 'something or other' modification done to the tubes on the face to better align with the back on the trooper... So if the same mold it being used the TIE will show these same signs...

Keith,

Trying like a bear to get pics posted but due to my complete lack of knowledge on resizing pictures I am struggling with getting them hosted.

Also just for the record I have just compared my SDS TIE to one of my two TE helmets (that don't have the teeth cut out yet) and I don't think it would be wise to use a TE as a TIE faceplate the features are not nearly as sharp and the depth of the gaps between the teeth is not nearly deep enough.

This isn't a bash at TE's helmets they are fantastic but they have been taken from a helmet with the teeth already cut out so no depth could have been known by Matt of the gap between the teeth of the TIE.

Again before anyone thinks I am knocking the TE I wouldn't have bought 2 of them if I didn't like them.

Cheers Chris.

I agree the undercut is similar on the TK helmets....but if the ABS is not sucked all the way down around the mold at the "ground" then it's easier and quicker to pull it off, which seems to be what AA did, leaving less undercut and that flaring effect. Having a large undercut will also put stress on the mold near the ground with repeated pulls, which might have damaged the mold there as well. So either he's trying to do it quickly or he can't get the ABS to come down tight and just under the mold at the ground....

T

Here's an interesting photo of the same original helmet which shows just how far forward the face section was angled, leaving a gap on its left hand side. It also seems to show the undercut angled down quite a bit too (though not as much as my SDS) - suggesting perhaps it was always a problem getting the helmets off the moulds.

origTIEgap.JPG

Cheers

Jez

I'd just like to point out that AA told me that he has a professional vacuum former,so pulling the ABS would not be a problem.Even if it was a home made former,it would still pull under the chin more than on AA's helmets compared to a screen used helmet.

The area under the chin is not caused by webbing.It has been clearly modified to help with releasing the pull.As you can imagine,the face plate is a SOB to release from the mould due to it's complex shape....

Carry on :p

Show the bottom of the helmet. It has no flare on the undercut. That brow trim on the bottom makes it look flared.

It is definately different than the stunt face though because it doesnt have the 2 extra holes on the frown area.

The SDS Tie helmet is really nice overall, the Flare is terrible though. I just wish that wasnt on the SDS helmets. That to me is the worst part about the SDS overall. I can kind of live with the messed up back and the ears if i had too, but the flare... ruins the face for me. It makes the chin look too bulky from the front and from the side it looks just off.

Still.. Overall the SDS tie is quite nice. Dare i say i even like the new mohawk visually than older one :) But the die hard fan in me says.. it aint an exact original.

Now the trooper is a differen tthing all together. It burns me that its not right. Its nice but... not right. I love my SDS helmet though. Thank you AA.

Originally posted by troopermaster@Mar 31 2006, 04:45 PM
I'd just like to point out that AA told me that he has a professional vacuum former,so pulling the ABS would not be a problem.Even if it was a home made former,it would still pull under the chin more than on AA's helmets compared to a screen used helmet.

The area under the chin is not caused by webbing.It has been clearly modified to help with releasing the pull.As you can imagine,the face plate is a SOB to release from the mould due to it's complex shape....

Carry on :p
[snapback]1216998[/snapback]​

Perhaps the pulling would not be that much of a problem, but the release from the positive mold even with a professional vacuum former with that kind of undercut would not be trivial. So to ease the process AA probably did not pull the ABS as tightly around the mold...making for a quicker and easier release.

regards,

T

Originally posted by Jackie_Chan_Fan@Mar 31 2006, 11:56 PM
Show the bottom of the helmet. It has no flare on the undercut. That brow trim on the bottom makes it look flared.

It is definately different than the stunt face though because it doesnt have the 2 extra holes on the frown area.

The SDS Tie helmet is really nice overall, the Flare is terrible though. I just wish that wasnt on the SDS helmets. That to me is the worst part about the SDS overall. I can kind of live with the messed up back and the ears if i had too, but the flare... ruins the face for me.  It makes the chin look too bulky from the front and from the side it looks just off.

Still.. Overall the SDS tie is quite nice. Dare i say i even like the new mohawk visually than older one :) But the die hard fan in me says.. it aint an exact original.

Now the trooper is a differen tthing all together. It burns me that its not right. Its nice but... not right. I love my SDS helmet though. Thank you AA.
[snapback]1217087[/snapback]​

JCF - I wasnt trying to suggest the flare is "accurate", I just thought it strange when I saw the side on photo that it seemed to have a little as i hadnt noticed it before:)

The point to the photo was the gap showing how they really pushed the face forward and angled it.

btw the mould was the same - AA just blocked up the vent holes in the outer teeth. I remember him asaying that the originals were that way merely by accident (same with the hero troopers)

Cheers

Jez

Originally posted by BingoBongo275@Mar 31 2006, 05:24 PM
Here's an interesting photo of the same original helmet which shows just how far forward the face section was angled, leaving a gap on its left hand side. It also seems to show the undercut angled down quite a bit too (though not as much as my SDS) - suggesting perhaps it was always a problem getting the helmets off the moulds.

origTIEgap.JPG

Cheers

Jez
[snapback]1216905[/snapback]​

Looks like the ear has swung back a bit thats all. The ears pivot on the bolt that holds them on.
As for the flare at the bottom of the face, when you take a picture looking up at the helmet like that, your going to see the bottom of the face. Take that neck trim away and you will see that the bottom of the face actually goes in the opposit direction to the SDS face. It tucks under on the original and does not hang down.

realtieprop_1.jpg

Keith.

Keith: Great shot. That flare really sucks doesnt it :(

Bingo: Interesting about him blocking the hole and it being the same mold. Thats somethign i ahvent heard of yet.

Keith, you're not right about the flare (on the originals) it doesnt "wrap" all the way back on itself. I dont know what that is but its not the "inside" of the flare as it would almost mean a "U" shape. Ive checked all my images and Ive not seen one anything like that - it must be something on the inside of that particular helmet.

JCF - it emerged during one of the discussions over the "number of moulds". Some people thought there were several "Stormtrooper face" moulds whereas I think most would agree now that there was only one and the same mould was used for all helmets

Cheers

Jez

I didn't say it wraps all the way back on itself, i said it tucks under, which is the opposit direction to the SDS which hangs right down.
What you can see there on that original helmet through the hole is the bottom of the chin with neck trim fitted.

This picture of the SDS flare has even been taken looking down on the helmet, so you should not see any of the bottom of the face or neck trim:
origsdscomp3b.jpg

I would still like to see a photo of the SDS from this angle:
24.jpg

Keith.

Whats with the red lines on my pics? Those are not even at the same angle as the pics of the original you put next to it :confused

Also, that red line you put in this picture of mine, whats that for? Are you pointing out the light reflecting in the plastic?
MTIEvsSDS2.jpg

Did you not see this pic:
7_1.jpg

Keith.

What tie Pilot are we speaking about ? ANH or ROTJ. There is a possiblity that there is a difference in those two versions. :unsure

The red lines indicate differences....there are many more than that but I thought I would let the pictures speak for themselves. We are talking about ANH TIE pilots...ROTJ used ANH footage for the TIEs.

I've put your new photo in the comp...try to get the angle exactly the same...

MTIEvsSDS2c.jpg

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back